Warmest/Best drum head

Shalaq

Coated? G1 coated. But I really enjoy the warm open tone that J1 heads produce. The most open tone I've ever heard on my drumset.

Mikkey

I really like the Genera (G1) coated before they changed the design of the head and took out the ring. Just for museum value, I held onto one of the old genera heads and compared it to the newer one. Not the same. I like the Aquarian Studio X coated and the texture coated satin finish power center head. I usually don't like 2-ply coated heads but the Remo emperor X has good projection.

stump

I have played many over the years. Remo Pin stripes were the most common for me for years. I now use Aquarian Power dot II's. I guess it really comes down to the style of music that you play. Remo heads tend to tune higher than the aquarians and the evans heads do for faster bouncing rolls....though if you want a deeper sound and have greater stick control I recommend the aquarians. Bottom line....experiment! Later guys.

NEMESYSdrummer

This is somewhat of an inverted response...haha! Actually, I'm not big on coated heads, aside from my snare, so the only input I have is what I know I absolutely didn't like in the coated head realm: Remo Emperor Suedes. Those things were no good for me because they rang incessantly with my kit (given the way I like to tune) unless I stacked Moon Gels, and then they sounded lifeless. Also, in my opinion, they're average at best with either live OR studio.

From my experience with coated heads, I'd say the ones I liked the best were Evans Genera G2's. However, at the end of the day, they all pale in comparison to clear heads, but - as always in drumming - there are no absolutes because it comes down to preference and application.

Hope that helped!

LuckilyHeDied

Mikkey":34xyzsr6 said:
I really like the Genera (G1) coated before they changed the design of the head and took out the ring. Just for museum value, I held onto one of the old genera heads and compared it to the newer one. Not the same.
You're comparing two different heads. The G1 is the standard single-ply head. They still make the regular Genera (and also Genera Dry with vents) which has the muffling ring.

Mikkey

Really? 'Cause I can't find the regular Genera heads with the ring anymore. Have to look harder next time.