warm-ups,and stretches

natenobb77

recently, my band has been wanting to get around three practices a week in.
usally around my spare time i practice on a practice pad at home(since my drumset is at my bassist's house). but now i have been very busy with work and school. i can rarley find time to practice.
now whenever i go to band practice i start to play our songs,and about 80% of them are eigth notes on high hats, and i have to stop because i cramp up so bad, or i have to go cut time on the high hat
this has been frustrating me for a while
i was wondering if anybody knew of some effective warm-ups/practices, or of any stretching tips i could get so this dosent happen again
thank alot

king_friday

put you fingers on your right hand in the palm of you left and apply some pressure, then do the same with the other arm. warm up a bit on a practice pad, maybe with some really huge sticks. do some singles, doubles, paradiddles that kinda stuff. one other thing that really helped me was lifting weights, build up thos muscles they won't get tired as easy.

hope this helps!

PDP9000

I have had the same problem with double bass i slow down when i play a lot
cuase most of my songs are all double bass. You should try lifting weights to make you
stronger

mute

king_friday":1s3onvie said:
put you fingers on your right hand in the palm of you left and apply some pressure, then do the same with the other arm. warm up a bit on a practice pad, maybe with some really huge sticks. do some singles, doubles, paradiddles that kinda stuff. one other thing that really helped me was lifting weights, build up thos muscles they won't get tired as easy.

hope this helps!
these suggestions sound good and have worked for me but i wonder what weight-lifts you are suggesting. lifting weights is a very general suggestion. maybe wrist curls, i would imagine, and shoulder/butterfly lifts? just curious.

also, i've been doing the practice pad thing with huge sticks (they're like marching sticks but a lot heavier) and that has helped, since i can only practice once or twice a week. i guess i generally get about 5-10 minutes in while the band sets up.

however, i don't know how to warm up my feet quietly. nothing works well besides actually playing the kicks. what do you guys do for that?

break the prism

forearm/wrist curls and jogging are probably the best for what you use in drumming.
wrist curls with improve your forearm strength and jogging will keep your upper and lower legs in shape as well as improve your agility.

to improve my forearm agility i use a small punching bag that i used when i used to box.