vocals

fearitself

Does anyone on here do backup vocals whilst drumming?

I am pretty new to drumming and was wondering if somone could give me some pointers on multitasking singing and drumming.

Also, I dont have any form of ear protection and was wondering if anyone could recommend anything. whether it be basic plugs or headphones etc..

thanks in advance

Kyle_Dolson

I've done it and I don't think I can give any tips... It feels pretty natural. I'd maybe suggest a headset but they don't sound very good.

PDP9000

I used to back up sing and i have used a head set and a mic and
there are no pointers to give just do what comes natural and you will
be fine.

JasonS2C

I use an Audio Technica headset and have had no problems. Avoid condensers or other phantom powered headsets... unless you consistently play HUGE rooms they will pick up everything. Breathing, drum bleed, monitors, everything...... If you are into the boom stand thing (and don't think it looks borderline stupid when done by anyone other than Mike Portnoy), more power to ya. I just move around too much, stand up, etc and the mic has to come with me. Ear protection... depends if you go with a headset or not. I used to use isolation headphones (and still do when its just me practicing) but since switching to the headset I started using musicians earplugs. (the "vented" type as opposed to solid foam) They take the highs off and help bring down the overall decibel level. Plus you can still hear your "in-head" voice while singing, AND its not so isolated that it drowns out your drums or monitors. I used in-ear monitors for awhile (and still do at large or outdoor shows) but I ran into an interference problem where the headset I used at the time (I've since switched) was shocking the hell outta me. Actual singing tips while playing.... depends on what style your vocals are. Sometimes holding diaphragm pressure can be a biotch while drumming. Just takes practice with what comes natural to you. Good luck.

GypoDrummer

In the ways of ear PROTECTION
I use Musicians Ear Plugs,
they cut out the decibels but keep everything in the same pitch
so nothing gets distorted.

Although, i sound terrible trying to sing with them on, lol.

SmellsLikeIan

JasonS2C":1j9wuva6 said:
If you are into the boom stand thing (and don't think it looks borderline stupid when done by anyone other than Mike Portnoy), more power to ya.

I use a boom stand. I don't think it looks stupid at all. As far as singing while playing goes, you have to be fairly adept at both before trying to combine the two. Memorize both parts separately at first, then try them together. After you have become comfortable it should come more naturally.

Sudz

it's just practice bro. Once you train yourself to multi-task you'll be fine with any combination of vocals and drumming after a few days of practiting it.

Good luck!!

DrummerZ

A few of my mates have recommended me to get some real thick insulated headsets.
I normally just use my dad's Industrial earmuffs, they work fine, but the don't have any feedback :p

Potatoe Snack

me and my brother had a project where i played drums and was the lead singer and he played guitar. hhaha THAT never went anywhere, and for good reasoning. I can't sing, though I love to do it.

Get some Isolation headphones, I forget the brand, but at guitar center they have big blue isolation headphones, thats what I use. They're great.

dedrummervanrolf

I used to do some backing vocals. I use those cheap ass construction ear plugs, the foam ones.. You really hear yourself sing with those things in, because you hear all the sound from inside your head rather than the sound around you.

dwtoast72

I think I know where you're going with this dude.... Is it the coordination of drumming while singing?? If so, this is what I did.... Rather simple in fact. However, requires prctice (plenty of it, depending on the tune's difficulty). Practice and practice and practice the drum part. Get it so that it's perfectly easy for you to play... I'm talking muscle memory... Practice the vocals so that you can sing them in pitch with zero backing without a glitch... Then add the two elements together. For instance, about 4 years ago I played in this cover band here in germany (all soldiers, though) and we wanted to do a dmb cover. However, the singer couldn't coordinate between the guitar part and vox (wasn't very good with vox to begin with). So I said I'd do it from behind the kit. And if you're familiar with Carter B's drum parts, they're not all exactly what you'd call vocal friendly... So I worked on the tune as I previously mentioned, and it worked out great..Unfortunatley, it worked out alittle too well,..... I wound up having to split vocals, 2 sets on 2 sets off, with him....

EOTE_drummer

Potatoe Snack":1x1h40j5 said:
me and my brother had a project where i played drums and was the lead singer and he played guitar. hhaha THAT never went anywhere, and for good reasoning. I can't sing, though I love to do it.

Get some Isolation headphones, I forget the brand, but at guitar center they have big blue isolation headphones, thats what I use. They're great.
vic firth, same ones i use

fearitself

dwtoast72":3ca8stfa said:
I think I know where you're going with this dude.... Is it the coordination of drumming while singing?? If so, this is what I did.... Rather simple in fact. However, requires prctice (plenty of it, depending on the tune's difficulty). Practice and practice and practice the drum part. Get it so that it's perfectly easy for you to play... I'm talking muscle memory... Practice the vocals so that you can sing them in pitch with zero backing without a glitch... Then add the two elements together. For instance, about 4 years ago I played in this cover band here in germany (all soldiers, though) and we wanted to do a dmb cover. However, the singer couldn't coordinate between the guitar part and vox (wasn't very good with vox to begin with). So I said I'd do it from behind the kit. And if you're familiar with Carter B's drum parts, they're not all exactly what you'd call vocal friendly... So I worked on the tune as I previously mentioned, and it worked out great..Unfortunatley, it worked out alittle too well,..... I wound up having to split vocals, 2 sets on 2 sets off, with him....
Sorry to hear about the unwanted promotion to vocals! You hit the nail on the head. Its the coordination. I shall continue to practice until I can practice no more... which should be never

Thanks my friend

Potatoe Snack

EOTE_drummer":2lp9dp86 said:
Potatoe Snack":2lp9dp86 said:

yes!

EOTE_drummer

Potatoe Snack":35uq57sq said:
EOTE_drummer":35uq57sq said:
Potatoe Snack":35uq57sq said:

yes!
they really are great, i think it lowers sound by 20-30 decibals (whatever they are called). is it just me or does the drums and bass stand out more with those on?