Vocal Mic Solution?

Nate_P

This has been driving me nuts. I've been trying to figure out a good way (besides wearing a headset) to mic my backup vocals live. It seems like no matter how I place the mic or what mic stand I use, it always gets in my way or it's at a bad angle.

I was just wondering what some of you have used for a vocal microphone solution.

Thanks,
NP

drummert2k

get a good mic stand with a good solid weighted bas and attatch a goosneck to it so you can bring it right over your head and down infront of your face to your mouth. this way you wont have a boom coming in from either side effecting you moving around your kit trying not to hit it.

Rockula!

That has always been the way I have had to do it too
Headsets are so freakin' expensive
The other problem is that drummer's monitors tend tpo make vocal mics feed back due to the close proximity that moist drummers need to hear
Also, cymbals tend to bleed into the drummer's mic
That problem can be fixed with a mic that funtions like a Shure SM 57
The 57 is a uni-directional mic which means that it only senses what is in front of it instead of a vocal mic whic is omni-directional (more like a sphere) and picks up on all sides

I had to switch from a vocal mic to a 57 because I use heavy amounts of vocal effects and distortion
It still feeds back sometimes but you probably won't have that much problem
You are going to have to sing right into the mic at a very close range to get a good solid signal
I would also suggest one of those foam mic screens to save on dental work

One more thing
I have found that you only need the top half of the mic stand if you have a rack system
It works great in a clamp
Plus, if you keep it slightly loose, you can swivel it

drkilldrmz

if you have the cash, a nice option is the headset with the in ear monitor system with a mic attached. Some of the stages we play up here are almost too small for even a small monitor. Plus it helps block out unwanted noise and protects hearing.

m

I use that AT headset-
I've found it a little tricky too, but I think it's more convenient than a mic and stand. I know not everybody likes the look, but I just can't get a mic stand in there comfortably.

SmellsLikeIan

I do a lot of harmonizing in my band, and I use a sure beta 57 (or sm 57 if the club aint got a beta or my band is providing PA). I use a mic stand with a boom arm and an additional gooseneck. I position the mic stand behind me about a foot, raise it up way high, extend the boom over my head, and adjust the gooseneck so that the mic is where I'm comfortable with it. As for headsets, they're not for me (a little too "hair metal" but if it's your thing, go with it). And I also don't sing on every song, only about two thirds, so I wouldn't want to try to get it off and back on when we're going quickly from one song to the next, or wear it through the whole show. Also, when The Police did their recent live televised set to announce their tour, did anyone else notice that Stewart's headset mic sounded like shit compared to Sting and Andy's mics on stands? I'm sure they could afford the best possible headset mic, but it still didn't hold a candle to the other two.