virgin teacher for 1-time ensemble/circle workshop! advice?

salvo

Greetings folks! Call me Salvo!

1st off, mad props to this forum and its supporters and posters, I've been appreciating all the info learned the past few months since I discovered this site! I have read a post in the drum lessons forum about another 1st time kit teacher, but decided to open a new topic since it is more of a drum circle type workshop. This will be my first time ever teaching a group formally, so I'd appreciate all well-thought criticism!

MY SITUATION:
I agreed to have a 1-time drum/percussion workshop for a group of about 10-15 middle-aged newbies/beginners for 90 minutes. I've decided to make it drum circle style.

GOALS FOR THE WORKSHOP:
1. make it fun and interesting for a group of beginners!
2. educate basic brief drum history, interesting facts, and particular history of each instrument
3. basic volume/tempo awareness and drum circle dynamics
4. encourage individual/sub-group creativity

MY EXPERIENCE:
-Tahitian drummer from 90-98; toeres (wood blocks), pahu (bass drum), fatete (shark skin drum with sticks)
-Drumkit since 95, self-taught except for a jazz improv class and various workshops

GEAR TO BE USED:
5-piece drumset to be divided (i.e. 1 tom per person), timbale, clave, 2 cowbells, tahitian drums, tamborine. I have cymbals too but am debating whether to use them in my exercises

ONE EXERCISE I'M USING:
I. "Sound Transmission"
a. group forms circle, all facing center of circle
b. arbitrary assignment of one instrument per person
c. Starting with a random person, everyone takes turns hitting their instrument once at 120bpm in a clockwise/counter rotation
d. volume and tempo, specific for each instrument, should be noted
e. instruments should rotate, so that all can play every instrument available
***VARIATION: for a specific sequence, each player remembers their order in the sequence. The circle then disperses into a random scattered group throughout the room, then the same sequence is repeated.

I am debating whether to teach specific percussion patterns, but most likely I want the group to create their own rhythms individually and collectively. Any suggestions!? Please be critical of the above exercise, I would deeply appreciate it!

Salvo