Verse Vs. Chorus

DrummingJorge

New member
So I was playing a gig a few nights ago. We get to a new song which we're still really breaking in. It's one of those songs that kinda baffle me still. So during the veres I'm on the high hat and during the chorus I switch to the ride. However, for the very last verse before the ending I rode the ride instead. I'm one of those types that are way too critical on myself. For some reason I thought the song called for it. Any other of you drummers do the same even though it risks consistency? Any examples of well known songs that do this?

Thanks!
 

drummert2k

New member
whatever fits the song. theres no law that says you have to do something or says "you cant do this here." your job is to support the song. do what you need to do to give the song the sound it needs. no matter what you may have done previously in the song.
 

drummer912

New member
yea just do whteva u feel like. if it sounds better to you or you think it adds to the song then go for it. prolly 99.9% of the people that hear it at your gig will not even notice.
 

Steven McTowelie

New member
drummert2k":6wt7u959 said:
whatever fits the song. theres no law that says you have to do something or says "you cant do this here." your job is to support the song. do what you need to do to give the song the sound it needs. no matter what you may have done previously in the song.
i think that's a great point. even if it wouldn't have been a new song, you're definitely always free to try new ideas. some might not always work, but that's the fun of experimenting and playing drums!
 

Scogar

New member
I always try to change up things...While fitting to the music is the most important thing, why play drums if you don't have fun with it?
 

LadyThunder

New member
I've done it a thousand times... And I'm one of those who swears by writing my parts and playing them the same everytime. But for some reason when I play live, I get really into the emotion of the song, and a new drum part will just consume me, usually during the chorus... Afterwards, I'm usually like, "Man, I can't believe i did that." But the rest of the band always comes up and tells me that it sounded f'in awesome. I usually pick up a few changes that I made to the music when I watch the video from the performance as well.

I personally try to stray away from the typical structure when writing, and purposely write different drum parts from the 1st to 2nd verse, or even the chorus for that matter. Or I'll try doing something completely different if we end a song with a really powerful chorus. It makes the music more spontaneous for the listener in my opinion. I really hate predictable songs. I can listen to most songs on the radio today (which are crap btw), and even on a song that I have never heard before, I can predict 90% of the time what will happen next, whether it be verse, chorus, interlude, the teasers, etc.

All in all, i think its a great thing. I mean that's what drumming is all about. Playing what's best for the music, and whatever you feel is right at any given moment in a song, whether it be verse or chorus.

:idea: Great topic man...
 

FelterSkelter

New member
I always used to review videos from my shows.

Always try something different if you feel the need. If you don't like it, don't ever do it again.
 

King J

New member
You should have stayed to the hat...in my opinion... It was the end of the song and it was a verse. So probably it had to feel like a torch was ready to be softly blown out... If you also played it in quarter notes, then you definitely should have stayed truth to the hat...
 

GrimReepher

New member
dont worry the lay audience wouldnt be able to tell the difference, im always so hard on my self but my mom, who only understands drums to an extent can't ever understand why i am like that. dont worry about it.
 

goatatl

New member
Hard to tell w\o hearing said song, but it sounds like something I do pretty frequently to kind of "intensify" the groove towards the end of a song. Just be careful not to rush...
 

break the prism

New member
i believe that the magic of live performance is not being held down by some recording tech telling you how to "get a great album sound" out of your playing. i always play differently live. as long as you keep the groove then you can't go wrong.
 

quikstang2

New member
I don't see why it would be a bad idea. I try not to be too predictable with what I'm going to play on, but I keep within the realm of keeping the groove/feel/mood.
If it sounds good, keep it. There's no law that you have to play the ride on one part and the hats on the other.
 

win_daddy

New member
If you listen, the song will tell you what fits and what doesn't. Each drummer will hear it a little differently and put his/her own signature on it. If nobody else in the band tells you what to play or complains about what you play, then I'd say you have free reign. I'm always open to suggestion, but most of the time I just play what seems to me, to fit the music. Remember, M.U.S.I.C.

Make
Up
Something
Interesting and
Complementary

Good luck!
 

vahnn

New member
a couple times during a show, i decided to ride my crash during the verses on this song, and do some intricate-sounding hi-hat stuff during the chorus instead... as akward as it seemed when i was doing it (just for fun), the guys (band) after the show were like "dude, i like what you did that time! play it that way from now on!"

sometimes it works, sometimes not. but it doesn't matter either way, as long as the band has fun, and it doesn't interrupt the song.

with my old band, we liked to do goofy stuff during shows like one of us would do a stop or a cymbal grab or tweak out a note or throw in some disonance here and there, and we all look at eachother laughing--during the show. it's fun!
 

warlocke

New member
I often will do something much as you described - hats on verses, ride on choruses except the last chorus. I write many of my parts for our originals like that. It helps me keep my place, signals the rest of the band we're approaching the end, and creates a subtle bit of variety for the listener. Often they (non-musician listeners) won't even know WHAT'S different, it'll just "feel" a little different. - On our songs I feel it gives it a sense of closure and resolution to do something a bit different. :D
 

stump

New member
Anyone who has been playing for awhile has done this. The great thing about it is we as drummers have so much more versatility and room for error than the string guys do. If it felt right and sounded good then run with it. I would be willing to bet that the crowd didn't even notice. Peace!
 

sound asylum

New member
if the song is new, i'd stay open to the feel. in my opinion, drummer's always right.

DrummingJorge":2xh6meeo said:
So I was playing a gig a few nights ago. We get to a new song which we're still really breaking in. It's one of those songs that kinda baffle me still. So during the veres I'm on the high hat and during the chorus I switch to the ride. However, for the very last verse before the ending I rode the ride instead. I'm one of those types that are way too critical on myself. For some reason I thought the song called for it. Any other of you drummers do the same even though it risks consistency? Any examples of well known songs that do this?

Thanks!
 

killdrum1983

New member
win_daddy":2736sutv said:
If you listen, the song will tell you what fits and what doesn't. Each drummer will hear it a little differently and put his/her own signature on it. If nobody else in the band tells you what to play or complains about what you play, then I'd say you have free reign. I'm always open to suggestion, but most of the time I just play what seems to me, to fit the music. Remember, M.U.S.I.C.

Make
Up
Something
Interesting and
Complementary

Good luck!
yeah i agree totally!!! :D you gotta support the song and play for the music itself... It a bit liked to another topic i think about bass and drums. If the bass and drums are completely both off time, the song will suck. But if they play together it will be better so they have to listen to each other. It's the same here listen to the song and she'll tell you what to play ;)
 
Top