vented toms?

Will

Drums already have vents in them but if you mean like OCDP style vents then you might aswell hit a box to be honest.

drummert2k

if you want to vent your drums more than the factory vents then you might as well just take your bottom heads off. it will make your drums sound like crap WITHOUT having to drill holes in them to make them sound bad.

Will

Thats not a vent though, thats a way mounting the drum.

A vent is where the air pushes out for sound purposes, whereas the air would be pushed out through the tom holder into the bass drum where it would get lost.

Will

Not at all, the actual vent on all drums is closer to what he means, just much much smaller.

drummert2k

if we're talking about holes drilled for hardware being considered as vents then my 12 inch tom has24 small vents. a.k.a. the holes drilled for the lug screws.

the purpose of the vent is to let some air escape quickly before it all gets to the reso head. the bigger/more vents, the less air hitting the reso head. hardware holes do not promote enough air escape to be considered vents

Scott_Hurford

drummert2k":28jmo98p said:
if we're talking about holes drilled for hardware being considered as vents then my 12 inch tom has24 small vents. a.k.a. the holes drilled for the lug screws.

the purpose of the vent is to let some air escape quickly before it all gets to the reso head. the bigger/more vents, the less air hitting the reso head. hardware holes do not promote enough air escape to be considered vents
yeah your exactly right there.

but if u want to vents your toms by making a bigger vent for them, look into buying drums with factory made vents, you could very well ruin your drum/s trying to make them bigger yourself. either that or take the Reso head off, but that would make your drums sound like trash.

Timekeep69

Just do what drummert2k said, just take off your reso heads, that way when you play them and realize how bad it sounds, you can just put them back on and you won't be out any money.

iatemygoat

Will":3l49gkze said:
Drums already have vents in them but if you mean like OCDP style vents then you might aswell hit a box to be honest.
speaking of OCDP i heard their split snares are loud as fuck. and i saw a guy use a a vented snare last week that was really loud too. prolly not for me though

SuNoAnBuKi

I dont know, it might not sound that bad ... Impact Drums makes fiberglass drums with port holes in the front of them, and I dont think they sound that bad. I remember seeing a live concert of Weird Al Yankovic on TV (I know, I know ... but it was years and years ago) and his drummer's kit didn't sound bad at all. But, as far as money is concerned I wouldnt go drilling holes into my toms.