Using Splashes Live

Alcyon

I was considering buying a Sabian AAX O-Zone 10" Splash today, along with a little Pearl extension stand for it, and I hesitated because I was worried about it being heard live. Usually when I play there aren't too many condenser mikes... All the toms, kick and snare are miked, and one or two crashes, but I don't think splashes would project enough to be heard. Am I worrying about nothing or what?

drummert2k

depending on you're situation with micing your crashes, the splash should pick up through there. even just one over head mic to pick up all your crashes, ride, china, splash would get it in the mix. splashes actually cut pretty good for being a small cymbal. they're made for the attack and short decay so if they get burried in the mix a secong after impact its no big deal.

gretsch4life

you'll be fine, a splash is not meant to be as loud as a crash or a china so it should work itself into the mix the way it is supposed to, with or with out mics. just play the way you want, i doubt anyone would compaling that they couldnt hear your splash... well except maybe another analytical drummer

phoenix7289

gretsch4life":1ng9u8ew said:
you'll be fine, a splash is not meant to be as loud as a crash or a china so it should work itself into the mix the way it is supposed to, with or with out mics. just play the way you want, i doubt anyone would compaling that they couldnt hear your splash... well except maybe another analytical drummer
haha couldn't have put it better myself!

Yeah, I realize this is slightly off topic, but Even if you play really shitty ( as in have a bad night, not just a shitty drummer) NO ONE WILL NOTICE! Other than a drummer or a very tuned-in musician/sound guy.

Erik

You can also re-position one of your microphones to cover
a little bit of the splashes or accent cymbals.
I have seen this done with tom, cymb., mic's- even a vocal mic.

Example: 1 mic. at the bottom of 2 concert toms or octobons-

1 mic. for the TOP of a tom may also cover a splash.

havic

Remember that what you hear behind the kit may not be what the crowd hears. The way sound travels and reflects is very different from behind the kit and in front of it. You should let a friend play your kit while you listen and find out the sonic characteristics of your cymbals and your drum tuning. With this information you can feel comfortable knowing what the crowd is hearing. sorry for the long winded reply.

skitch

I wouldn't worry about it; vocal mics will pick up some of your drums anyway and a splash isn't really what I would call a feature instrument! It should be fine! If your vocalist has a mic you will be good to go!

PDP9000

when i play i have about 4 splashs on my set i usally hit it with a crash or a china to get some what of a effect

I have the same questions cuz i have a 6" sabien and 10" sabien splash and im afraid of it not being heard on stage.. is there a differnt way of it being loud enough to hear?