Using a ride cymbal as a crash.

Raging Moon

Recently started using a Zildjian Armand series 20's ride as a crash. Sounds wonderfully different. Anyone else out there used a ride as a crash. Any thoughts pro or con???

ckoontz

I used to use a 20 inch Zildjian K pre-aged dry light ride as a crash, sounded good.
I think Chad Sexton uses or used the same thing as a main crash.

teiz

for me it's something usual to use ride as crash, it's great, because it gives more sounds opportunities. anyway, when i'm using ride as a crash, i'm still using it as a ride, and it works with crash - i use it as a ride cymbal and as a crash ;]

whiskeydick

I play with two cymbals, a 17 in z custom crash and a 20 inch ride. I crash on both and ride on the 20 when needed. Its nice because I can limit the number of cymbals and stands I need. Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.

anavrinIV

whiskeydick":16htznh6 said:
Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.
imo, that's a very generalized and narrow minded comment. you may not need more than 2 crashes, but how can you say that I don't? what if the music I play calls for crashes with different sound colors, and just 2 can't deliver the variety I need? am I also limited to 1 ride and 1 set of hihats?

blastbeats666

Raging Moon":fuzobbzn said:
Recently started using a Zildjian Armand series 20's ride as a crash. Sounds wonderfully different. Anyone else out there used a ride as a crash. Any thoughts pro or con???
ok, i have a sabian B8 crash/ride so i sorta lucked out there since its pretty much a two in one. i dont think i could come up with any cons, but as a pro you have another crash cymbal without having to pay for one :D

I use Crashes as Rides not Rides as Crashes. My ride is a B8 so I am really gentle when playing it. Anyways, it doesnt sound good when crashes. I have a Crash/Ride anyways.

rwoods2k

personally I dont like to 'crash' a ride cymbal (Im not saying its bad to do so). However, the Zildjian (Avedis series) 18inch Medium Thin crash works perfectly for a 'swimming' cymbal. I have that cymbal specifically for that purpose only, I very rarely use it for a str8 crash. its my only cymbal that is not an 'A Custom'. I think of it as I would a splash, a bell, percussion or a china cymbal - a 'specialty' cymbal.

ChronicBeatMaster

whiskeydick":3hsz5zxt said:
I play with two cymbals, a 17 in z custom crash and a 20 inch ride. I crash on both and ride on the 20 when needed. Its nice because I can limit the number of cymbals and stands I need. Cymbals are versatile and you don't need more than two crashes, any more makes you a cymbalist, not a drummer.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Alan_

ChronicBeatMaster":aw3vgiw4 said:
whiskeydick":aw3vgiw4 said:
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
if it's what works for his particular expression, it's not stupid.

by the same token, if having a lot of cymbals works for what someone else is doing, I think it's equally valid.

people get so narrow-minded about equipment choices. I recently went from a crash, ride and hihat back to a larger setup like I had used in the past. Now I'm also using an additional crash, a bell cymbal, splash, and either a 14" or a 19" china. I don't feel like using more cymbals has turned me into a "cymbalist". What's so wrong about someone wanting more colors on their palette? What's so wrong about someone wanting to use a minimal amount of equipment?

Mike_Drums

Alan_":1yrwjf3l said:
ChronicBeatMaster":1yrwjf3l said:
whiskeydick":1yrwjf3l said:
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
if it's what works for his particular expression, it's not stupid.

by the same token, if having a lot of cymbals works for what someone else is doing, I think it's equally valid.

people get so narrow-minded about equipment choices. I recently went from a crash, ride and hihat back to a larger setup like I had used in the past. Now I'm also using an additional crash, a bell cymbal, splash, and either a 14" or a 19" china. I don't feel like using more cymbals has turned me into a "cymbalist". What's so wrong about someone wanting more colors on their palette? What's so wrong about someone wanting to use a minimal amount of equipment?
well spoken sir

MannyDrums14

most of the time i play with two cymbals plus my hats right now its a 20 in sabian b8 ride and a 18 in meinl crash and i love using my ride as a crash i use it for both too

ChrisNichols

I've got a 22" ride that I use as both a crash and a ride. It gives a really BIG sound when you crash on it though, so it's something I employ tastefully.

Drumosaurus

I use my old ride as a crash. it has a really deep sound too it, but you have to give it a good whack for it to open up.