using a bass drum as a floor tom

I'm planning to buy an extra floor tom to turn over on the side and double up as an extra floor tom/tymp. I've knowen a few drummers to do this and it sounds lethal with a good skin. The question I have is this: what is the best way to have it supported/positioned? I ask this because if I just had it on the ground face down it would sound crap and get damaged, plus it's doubtfull if the legs would survive hanging that way. For anyone here who does it, please explain how.

Shalaq

Buy an Optimount and Jg-16 adapter from pearl. If you want to convert a 18 inch floor tom then you'll have to make some extensions for the optimount. Other than that it'll be OK. It's said that it converts toms only to the size of 16x16, but I've know some guys who have converted a 18x16 floor tom and had no issues as far as stability etc.

The Heel

Shalaq you have him wrong.

He's converting a bass drum into a floor tom. I'm also interested in seeing how people who have done this have accomplished hanging a bass drum as a tom(If any have).

Shalaq

OMG sorry ;)
Then I think the best way to go is to use 2 optimounts(if you buy a 16 inch deep bass drum) or 2 iss mounts and hang the drum on 2 stands/rack.
BTW why do you want such a huge floor tom? Wouldn't it be better to buy a gong bass?