Upgrading Cymbals... Rockers Help Me Out

NoDrumsForYou

hey guy, i am right now upgrading my Sabian XS cymbal set-up to high end cymbals. i just recently played Sabian Vault 16" and 18" Crashes and they sound amazing!

what your opinion on the ride and hats i should choose. (also, i'm not Brand-Bias but i've always been more partial to Sabian)

also... this is my band, Eclyptic . Listen to a song or two and tell me what you think the right cymbals should be.

NOTE: I also like to get funky.

screamkevin

If you're looking for great all-around cymbals, I'd seriously suggest you consider Saluda's Mist-X line.

Check the link in my sig for more information.

Sway

Dude good rides. Heres some. A custom projection Ride. Great it has a really great bell and its not really trashy all around. I was looking for something that when you hit the bell the bow and all that it sounded different. SOme cymbals no matter where you hit its gonig to have that crash sound. This ones pretty good. If your looking for a dry ride no crash and a great bell. I think the best is Sabians HH Raw Bell Dry Ride. Also there HHX Evolution ride is very crashy! Oh yeah i love K rides cuase they crash well and they have really short sustain. Oh yeah and K Custom hybrid check those out above all rides i think youll be impressed.

drummer912

as far as hats, sabian aax-cellerator hats are awesome, thts wht chad smith from rhcp uses and he always gets funky.

adamski

Well, if you arent brand biased...
Zildjian avedis quick beat hi-hats
I have apair from the 80s (although they still make them)
They have a pretty standard top cymbal, but the bottom cymbal is competely flat with 4 holes drilled into it.
They are SO versatile its unreal.
I have recorded them on everything from Katrina and the Waves, through R and B, to folk and even jazz music, and one thing the producers always mention is how great my hats sound.
And in my rock band, they still cut through like a knife...

As for ride cymbals, again if you arent brand biased and youre after something rocky I would suggest a Zildjian Avedis Ping Ride. I have one of these from the 80s aswell. Its fantastic for rockier stuff and the bell is very domineering, but its not heavy metal and therefore too overbearing. Its a nice all rounder. Its not great for really jazzy stuff, but if its funk and rock youre after then its a cracker!

anavrinIV

i have the hh raw bell dry ride that was mentioned above and its the best ride cymbal ive ever played. it has a very solid ping with little wash, but it still has a full sound unlike the z custom mega bell ride or the hh power bell ride. this ride will not crash well though so beware of that if youre looking for a crashable ride. if you have a good solid crash you can use, this cymbal will work for just about anything.

hats are tricky because you can pretty much use anything you want. i play 2002 14" soundedge hihats that im still getting used to but love playing. i also like sabian hh series hihats and, as it was said before, avedis quickbeats are great cymbals for just about anything. also, drop by saluda and see what jamie will make you. ive wanted something of his for a while but i dont have the kind of money to experiment with cymbals right now.

DevintheGreig

well if i were you i would stick to the vault series, i know they dont have splashes and chinas....YET! but they will eventually and theyre the highest up you can go, well next to most paistes, but those are too expensive to have around.

paco

As far as rides go, i use a zildjian A Custom ping ride and love it. When it comes to hi-hats, I've got an A Custom 14" mastersound top w/ an A Custom 14" bottom; the mastersound top is very responsive and has a nice bright tone.

if you want, you can check out a few of the songs here http://www.myspace.com/thefarshore to see what they sound like.

goatatl

Checked out your MS page; Cool tunes, real tasteful drumming. Judging from the songs I heard, I'd look at some HH rides, if you want to keep a Sabian setup. Or maybe a Zildjian K custom. Probably fit well with your music.
G

stump

I play Zildjian cymbals myself. If you are playing hard stuff then I recommend the Z series, they are loud as hell. For more versatilty look at the K's and A's. I Use Z customs and A customs and find that I can play any style with the set up that I use. Check them out. Good luck.

If you go to sabain's webpage you can hear these hats. I have a set for sale. I ended up getting a second set threw buying a cymbal pack of AA's.

I have hats i will make a deal on, they sell for 259 on sale at most places. Retails somewhere in the 600++ range.
They are so close to be new its not funny. Inside edge has very little wear from
the few times they were played.
I'll save ya some monies and yet get ya some bright chick sounds plus full wash open. My friend jim riley of rascal flats plays them, thats why i got them.

I dont know where your from, but i'll split shipping cost with you and sell them for 200 bucks. I can get a picture sent to you also.
Email me at

Jmurphone@aol.com
If your interested.

Peace,

Ps, great for rocken out, and all around hats.
Im really happy with them.

Joel

anavrinIV

LayingGroovesJam":1g4ppuxr said:
If you go to sabain's webpage you can hear these hats. I have a set for sale. I ended up getting a second set threw buying a cymbal pack of AA's.

I have hats i will make a deal on, they sell for 259 on sale at most places. Retails somewhere in the 600++ range.
They are so close to be new its not funny. Inside edge has very little wear from
the few times they were played.
I'll save ya some monies and yet get ya some bright chick sounds plus full wash open. My friend jim riley of rascal flats plays them, thats why i got them.

I dont know where your from, but i'll split shipping cost with you and sell them for 200 bucks. I can get a picture sent to you also.
Email me at

Jmurphone@aol.com
If your interested.

Peace,

Ps, great for rocken out, and all around hats.
Im really happy with them.

Joel
do you realize that you never said what you had, only that theyre sabians?