Upgrade from Pearl Forum

Lavats

Right now I have a Pearl Forum drum set set up, and I was thinking of upgrading to a better set.

What I'm looking for:
-Not too expensive - $200-700
-A tight, fast snare, but not as sharp as a piccolo
-Also a light kick drum, not as deep as the forum

I've been thinking of getting the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod shell pack, has anyone played on this set? Is it any good?
If not, what would you recommend?

king_friday

Lavats":vwno8vqx said:
Right now I have a Pearl Forum drum set set up, and I was thinking of upgrading to a better set.

What I'm looking for:

I've been thinking of getting the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod shell pack, has anyone played on this set? Is it any good?
ludwig has some pretty nice stuff that isnt to expensive. also you could try shoppoing around for a used kit. you might find something pretty damn good.

Edge3591

for snares you should look into the pearl chad smith signature snare. it's not sharp like a piccolo but it sounds just right.

king_friday

Edge3591":ock0xlji said:
for snares you should look into the pearl chad smith signature snare. it's not sharp like a piccolo but it sounds just right.
those snares are really nice, thats what i use

devilspain

id say go to your local drum shop and play away with diff sized kits. most kits come in any sizes you want if you tell the dealer i want 10",14",16", 20" kit they can ge it for you. snare wise if theres so many factors here how you tune being the biggest! go for mapex they brill drum company, either a m birch or a pro m would do you the trick!

rufus4dagruv

Lavats":14hu7lml said:

What I'm looking for:

The suggestion about the Chad Smith snare is a good one. They can be found at reasonable prices on Ebay. You could also keep your eye out for some other 5x14 steel shell snare.

As far as the Catalina Mod's, they are nice drums from what I've heard, but the bass drum would be the exact opposite of what you say you are looking for. You may want to check out the Catalina Club Jazz kit...8x12 rack tom, 14x14 floor, and I believe a 16x18 kick. It's a much smaller kick and may take some getting used to, but a buddy of mine has one and he can make that baby sing in many different musical situations. He's a very talented drummer.

Something else to consider would be keeping an eye out for the Premier Artist Heritage kits on Ebay. These usually go for the price range you have listed with a snare. Good luck.

Lavats

Alright, thanks guys.
I'll see if I can get my hands on that Chad Smith snare, and got to a store and check out some different sized sets.
rufus, I'm mostly particular about my snare and toms, but the kick isn't that much of a problem.