Unique blast beats

Brother_Bong

If you are not finding what you like, make up your own. Take a pattern you like, then start to speed it up, when you get too fast and it sounds cluttered, start dropping stuff out without changing your speed(slowing down), keep going faster eventually you have a blast beat.

iampoor

Bong":3l8fr60s said:
If you are not finding what you like, make up your own. Take a pattern you like, then start to speed it up, when you get too fast and it sounds cluttered, start dropping stuff out without changing your speed(slowing down), keep going faster eventually you have a blast beat.
Thats one of the problems. I need some help thinking of patterns....

ANy ideas?

kylevater

iampoor":2w01y8xf said:
Bong":2w01y8xf said:

ANy ideas?
make a sound that goes:
bumbumbumbumchickchickbumdoink
tatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatata

microblast

Here are some drummers that use blastbeats in their music, maybe you can take a look at their styles:

George Kollias
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FaXTdSGRonU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FaXTdSGRonU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Derek Roddy
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DFwxGhr23LI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DFwxGhr23LI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Max Kolesne
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBa5BgmdQvg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBa5BgmdQvg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

stephenchong

kylevater":voqj7n9m said:
iampoor":voqj7n9m said:
Bong":voqj7n9m said:

ANy ideas?
make a sound that goes:
bumbumbumbumchickchickbumdoink
tatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatata
Lol. Nice sound effects. :lol:

Hmmm, i just listen to music like death metal and get inspirations from there. You have to be creative. Maybe you try listening to as many genres as possible and just work it from the different patterns in each of the genres. You can add a little twist and mix things up. The patterns are different, but the count beat do remain the same, no ? :)

dea

Here are some ideas...forgive me if some of these sound obvious. I'm not a blast beat veteran, but know what they are and have been playing around with incorporating something similiar into some of the classical rock we play. I was surprised at just how flexible blast beats are if your strategic about how they are incorporated into a fill.

* Play your blast beats in the form of a triplet.
* Play broken triplets. To me this would sound so cool because of the speed of the blast beat, it would sound almost like an audio signal being broken up due to interference or something.
* Accent - strategically - within the blast beat. This should pose quite a challenge, but its doable and could add some chaotic color to the blast.
* Also think about mixing and matching. I mean, instead of snare and bass drum only, walk the toms, even some short sustain cymbals ( splash, china, etc. ).

GrindheadJim

dea":204zvure said:
Here are some ideas...forgive me if some of these sound obvious. I'm not a blast beat veteran, but know what they are and have been playing around with incorporating something similiar into some of the classical rock we play. I was surprised at just how flexible blast beats are if your strategic about how they are incorporated into a fill.

* Play your blast beats in the form of a triplet.
* Play broken triplets. To me this would sound so cool because of the speed of the blast beat, it would sound almost like an audio signal being broken up due to interference or something.
* Accent - strategically - within the blast beat. This should pose quite a challenge, but its doable and could add some chaotic color to the blast.
* Also think about mixing and matching. I mean, instead of snare and bass drum only, walk the toms, even some short sustain cymbals ( splash, china, etc. ).
Good ideas. Also, I find that accenting key phrases in the guitar riff with cymbals makes the blast more interesting and adds a "false groove" to it.

kcin616

try doing triplet blasts. setting your hands to triplets, in a cannibal style, along with 16ths on kicks. take it to extreme tempos too. there is always gravity blasting, which i think represents the ultimate intensity, but be sure to match the feet damn it! lol. the drummer from krisiun plays traditional blasts with triplet footing. and yea make up your own blasts if you want. like set your hands to a traditional or cannibal style, and do some weirdo pattern with your feet.

xdoseonex

I'v been doing alot of freehand triples. using a freehand double for the first 2 strokes, and incorporating it into blastbeats at fast tempos

Jesus

Blastbeats can only be so complex and unique. I like that blastbeat that Derek Roddy does with his two snares.

It sorta goes like

ccccccccccccccccccc
sssssssssssssssssss
b b S b b S b b S

He keeps the blast on the snare and cymbal (Hi-hat in this case), and does a simple 4/4 with the bass and aux snare. It's unique, and sounds pretty sick.

Metaldrummer89

DYNAMICS. it's the most useful thing a drummer can have and if you add them to blast beats it can really become origional. one i also came up with is a regular alternating blast, but the right hand does a little slower doubles. another you can use is rim shots on the left hand, constant or varied. another you can do with the left hand is throwing in short gravity blasts here and there, you can do this with your hands hitting together, apart, or in a shuffle variation. one thing that dosn't sound too much different but i do sometimes is double strokes on the bass drum.

chocobebear

iampoor":2j8kjo9o said:
chocobebear":2j8kjo9o said:
try varying the speed of the blast beats
and try adding rolls and fills in between blasts
Ah... Thats kinda obvious
some people just seem to overlook the obvious
and also, i've seen and heard so many bands who has very little or no variation with their blast beats