underrated/ignored/little known drummers

mikejh

some little known drummers who SLAY on the drums...

ben koller - converge (formerly of force fed glass).

this guy is essentially the john bonham of hardcore. tasteful, incredibly fast and groovy. his drum sound cuts through the music and blends exactly the way drums should. there's a fill towards the middle of "to the lions" that is just ridiculous.

songs to get: to the lions, trophy scars, no heroes, heartache.

chris pennie - dillinger escape plan.

virgil donati if he got a little more taste and backed a prog hardcore band. ridiculous. you've not heard drumming like this to music like this.

songs to get: sunshine the warewolf, baby's first coffin, sugar coated sour.

jason mcgerr - death cab for cutie.

taste, taste and more taste. and decent smatherings of serious, serious groove.

songs to get: different names for the same thing, what sarah said, the new year.

christopher tsagakis - rx bandits.

very influenced by stewart copeland, but in a good way (haha). busy but always fused to the groove. lets the music swing and flow how it should.

songs to get: in her drawer, sell you beautiful, dinna-dawg.

i know this is a big topic for a newbie, but i never see many people give these drummers love so i thought i'd draw attention to them with my first post!

Good thread, there are so many god like drummers that are as good as non existant and, need to be knowen of.

Charlie Adams- Yanni- this guy is a gem to watch and live he performs a solo living a whole orchestra and audience droeling like kids in candy shops. Combining his influences of 'Bonham meets 'Rich as a rock solid back-bone to intricate classical and new age music.

Will Calhoun- His main stay is Living Colour but, has played for many other legends across the genres. Such tasty player, excellant tone range and syncopations.

Morgan Agren- this guy has played with Zappa- Holdsworth, jazz orchestras, the guitarist of Meshuggah and alot of drummers and his name still won't ring any bells with alot of drummers unless you rhyme off his entire CV. He's completly self sufficent in regards to providing the basis for improv and brightens the dullest of melodies. I've seen him on you tube with Fred Thorndale, just the 2 of them. They were performing what appeared to be a TV appearance and, they're arguably 2 of the most talented musicians to spawn from sweden since Yngwie "Motzart on L.S.D." Malmstein but, even Fred was torn to the gutters by this mans talents. The irony of that being that, Morgan appears on Freds solo offerings, the cheek of writting tunes and hiring a musician you feel intimadated by. Any one seen the vid I'm talking about? As talented as Fred his, he was playing glorified 3 chord tricks. I saw him look over at Morgan as they stole the show and he graudually sped with the "I'll never outsmart him" look on his face.

thisismoc

Scott Churilla - Formerly with the Reverend Horton Heat, now with The Supersuckers. Great Great player. Solid swing, great chops, and tons of fantastic fills.

Scott_Hurford

I think Dominic Howard of Muse is a very underrated drummer for his skill, he uses some very uniqe techniques, he's been praised many time by Ian Paice of deep purple for having some interesting drum parts thoughout many of Muse's songs.

[/list]

thisismoc

Scott_Hurford":1osmcw8b said:
I think Dominic Howard of Muse is a very underrated drummer for his skill, he uses some very uniqe techniques, he's been praised many time by Ian Paice of deep purple for having some interesting drum parts thoughout many of Muse's songs.

[/list]
Good Call! He is great, I've loved listening to him for a few years now...

What is the consensus on Brian "Brain" Mantia?

SmellsLikeIan

polyrythemicgenocide":1l5sdaz5 said:
SmellsLikeIan":1l5sdaz5 said:
that freakin assaf dude with the stick juggling....what's his name again? MY GOD he flipped my lid!
Ian, what band is A.S.S.A.F.? I'm intrigued
Its Assaf Seewi, solo drum artist. He's freakin NUTS!

Dee

Scott_Hurford":3ksdvyvj said:

[/list]

I couldn't agree with you more, Dom is a great drummer, I think Muse as a band are under-rated as a whole.

jojo2371

i'll 2nd that, nicko mcbrain gets no respect ! but i also think mitch mitchell has kinda gone under the wire for a long time to say the least , i know it 's tuff to be in jimi's shadow but the guy did set himself apart from the ginger baker's and keith moon's of the world at that time by a wide margin ! just my 2 cents :)

Eliminator

Dudes Dan Foord from UK metal band SikTh is practically unheard of and he's fuckin amazin, check them out seriously...

Scott_Hurford

Dee":3a0rdtdh said:
Scott_Hurford":3a0rdtdh said:

[/list]

I couldn't agree with you more, Dom is a great drummer, I think Muse as a band are under-rated as a whole.
Very true! Muse have quickly become one of my favorite bands in the past year, they've inspirered me alot, and not just Dom but matt and chris aswell. Listen to some of the songs they've brought out, i mean REALLY listen to them, ALOT of work goes into them.

mortem

ohhh I forgot to mention John Weathers from Gentle Giant, he's a really great drummer.. but then again, the whole band itself is shockingly underrated

phoenix7289

jojo2371":1slqtza3 said:
i'll 2nd that, nicko mcbrain gets no respect ! but i also think mitch mitchell has kinda gone under the wire for a long time to say the least , i know it 's tuff to be in jimi's shadow but the guy did set himself apart from the ginger baker's and keith moon's of the world at that time by a wide margin ! just my 2 cents :)
yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy