UK/US average salary Vs drums....

dammow

ok. so i was browsing ebay today looking at drum stuff when i started looking at prices in the US compared to UK prices and decided to do a few comparisons.

DW 9700 straight/boom stand...................UK= £95 / US= £70

DW 9000 double pedal.............................UK= £380 / US= £250

Zildjian 18" K custom crash......................UK= £190 / US= £120

Pearl export 6pc......................................UK= £500 / US= £370

It got me thinking about salarys etc over in the US. here, in the UK the average yearly wage is 22k according to google.

so, if the americans on here can help me with my price/salary calculations, i can find out for sure if the UK really is a big rip off! lol

oh and one more thing- a gallon of petrol (gasoline) costs around £5 here in good old england!!! :evil:

Alan_

I think y'all probably have it better as far as raw salary goes, but everything is really expensive over there, not just drum hardware or gas.

dammow

Alan_":1z3mnosj said:
I think y'all probably have it better as far as raw salary goes, but everything is really expensive over there, not just drum hardware or gas.
yea, i know everything is expensive here but i just wondered about the comparisons between UK wages and UK prices as to US wages and US prices.

i.e affordability. if average here is 22k that works out at $ 43,357.6 USD. does this sound average in the US?

It just got me thinking whilst i was surfing ebay and seeing all the low US prices, but if your average wages are lower that $43k then i guess the affordabily would be equal :?

i just used drums as its a drum forum! lol

shine.fm-youth

dammow":8u2solbv said:
ok. so i was browsing ebay today looking at drum stuff when i started looking at prices in the US compared to UK prices and decided to do a few comparisons.

DW 9700 straight/boom stand...................UK= £95 / US= £70

DW 9000 double pedal.............................UK= £380 / US= £250

Zildjian 18" K custom crash......................UK= £190 / US= £120

Pearl export 6pc......................................UK= £500 / US= £370

It got me thinking about salarys etc over in the US. here, in the UK the average yearly wage is 22k according to google.

so, if the americans on here can help me with my price/salary calculations, i can find out for sure if the UK really is a big rip off! lol

oh and one more thing- a gallon of petrol (gasoline) costs around £5 here in good old england!!! :evil:

dw 9700 straight/boom stand - $139.99/£95

dw 9000 double pedal - $530.39/£362

zildjian 18" k custom crash - $279.95/£191

pearl export 6 pc - $1,099.99/£751

at least that's what i got
haha

dammow":1c0zdib1 said:
Alan_":1c0zdib1 said:
yea, i know everything is expensive here but i just wondered about the comparisons between UK wages and UK prices as to US wages and US prices.

i.e affordability. if average here is 22k that works out at $ 43,357.6 USD. does this sound average in the US?

It just got me thinking whilst i was surfing ebay and seeing all the low US prices, but if your average wages are lower that $43k then i guess the affordabily would be equal :?

i just used drums as its a drum forum! lol
43k a year?

hahahahahahahahahahaha!

that's $20 an hour.

the average TOTAL HOUSEHOLD income in the U.S. in 2006 was 48k, which equals out to be 24k a year for a typical married couple, which is just over $11 an hour.

Alan_

the average american doesn't make nearly as much money as the rest of the world thinks.

Vanden

Its all to do with the exchange rates! For us Brits its great when we go to America.
For the Americans, however, when you come here its a bitch.
The exchange rate is very much in our favour.

When i went to America last summer, i bought loads of Ralph Lauren and Lacoste polos in Macys each one was about £30, here in England that would have cost me like £50/£60 each. I bought a new skate deck for basically half price in New York. Its f-in awesome!

Its all exchange rates. (Come on, im 15 and i told yout that :lol: )

EDIT: Dammow - you probably wont benefit from purchasing from the US as the international postage costs are ridiculous!

dammow

Vanden":3pa7iscn said:
Its all to do with the exchange rates! For us Brits its great when we go to America.
For the Americans, however, when you come here its a bitch.
The exchange rate is very much in our favour.

When i went to America last summer, i bought loads of Ralph Lauren and Lacoste polos in Macys each one was about £30, here in England that would have cost me like £50/£60 each. I bought a new skate deck for basically half price in New York. Its f-in awesome!

Its all exchange rates. (Come on, im 15 and i told yout that :lol: )

EDIT: Dammow - you probably wont benefit from purchasing from the US as the international postage costs are ridiculous!
yea, i know all that but, you are missing my point of interest. all i was wondering was if the affordability for drum stuff for US was the same for the brits over here in comparison with wages.

example;

if i earn £600 per week in the UK and buy a snare drum in UK for £300, thats half my weekly wage,

if i earn £400 per week in the US and buy same snare drum in US for £200, that is half my wages also. therefore the affordability would be the same.

Brother_Bong

I see your point dammow, also figure in a few other facts. Look at our taxes, cost of health insurance, and high mortgage rates. I don't know about those things over there, I was just wondering how those things might come into play. I'm just wondering if the price difference on things like drums over here reflects the fact that the average person doesn't have much money left in their pockets after paying the bills.

stump

My bud Ollie told me that a pack of Marlboro's in the UK were around $12 US. I about fell out! $3.25 here. Gas....$8 for a liter? That's insane. I was down in Venezuala last year an gas was 18 cents a gallon!! As far as average wage for the US...not sure but the bride and I do ...well let's say we don't hurt for anything. We are happy. Peace on ya!

Vanden

stump":1r2igg4h said:
My bud Ollie told me that a pack of Marlboro's in the UK were around $12 US. I about fell out! $3.25 here. Gas....$8 for a liter? That's insane. I was down in Venezuala last year an gas was 18 cents a gallon!! As far as average wage for the US...not sure but the bride and I do ...well let's say we don't hurt for anything. We are happy. Peace on ya!
With the fags, it depends if hes talking about a pack of 10 or 20 - you may be mixed up.

With the petrol (gas), its all about availability. It may be more available in America than it is over here. (I dont drive so i dont know if that completely true, but it sounds logical to me)

dammow

Bong":1bd0rjke said:
I see your point dammow, also figure in a few other facts. Look at our taxes, cost of health insurance, and high mortgage rates. I don't know about those things over there, I was just wondering how those things might come into play. I'm just wondering if the price difference on things like drums over here reflects the fact that the average person doesn't have much money left in their pockets after paying the bills.
yea, i did think about the general taxes and insurances, rates etc. i was just curious about the wages=prices thing. guess i would have to come live in the US for 6 months and see for myself! lol

dammow

Vanden":1z1r0ey9 said:
stump":1z1r0ey9 said:
With the fags, it depends if hes talking about a pack of 10 or 20 - you may be mixed up.

With the petrol (gas), its all about availability. It may be more available in America than it is over here. (I dont drive so i dont know if that completely true, but it sounds logical to me)

the petrol and cigs (fags in UK)and alcohol are all major tax items. if we didnt pay tax on them they would be the same price as US.

xdoseonex

Vanden":ehkqra15 said:
stump":ehkqra15 said:

they really do call them fags in the uk