Uhh... Problem?

Rick_danger

Is there a way to practice being relaxed while playing? I've been overhauling my technique in order to get to the "next level" of drumming, since I have been stuck in a rut for a while. I just can't help but tense up when I play. I am really not sure what to do. Any tips?

SGarrett

Rick_danger":1enofptr said:
Is there a way to practice being relaxed while playing? I've been overhauling my technique in order to get to the "next level" of drumming, since I have been stuck in a rut for a while. I just can't help but tense up when I play. I am really not sure what to do. Any tips?
Use a click and start really slow playing very simple patterns. Play four measures of time and then a one measure fill, simple is the word. You want to put your focus on your playing and not on your technique.

I know what you mean though. I'm working through the same issue with my home recording gear. It just takes work.

dkmfan

SGarrett":f0nosv9g said:
Rick_danger":f0nosv9g said:
Use a click and start really slow playing very simple patterns. Play four measures of time and then a one measure fill, simple is the word. You want to put your focus on your playing and not on your technique.

I know what you mean though. I'm working through the same issue with my home recording gear. It just takes work.
you are not going to play your best if you are tense and stiff because you are over hauling. Slow everything down and build your way up. You are not going to see an improvment if you are playing like craap. if you slow your self down you will be able to work your way up to the top

Homki890

Stick Control, by George Lawrence Stone. Start going though that book, and the control will come. Control is the key to playing relaxed. Learn how your stick works, and then you'll start to play more relaxed.

Homki890

Henry George

Hello everyone,38 years ago I started with "George Lawrence Stone,Stick Control".Before you try any of the rudiments you must read the preface on " How to practise".

Part of it says " Practise at all times with relaxed muscles,stopping at the slightest feeling of tension........Control begins in musculary relaxed action".

When you stop your muscles will relax, therfor, you are teaching your muscles to recognize tension.Now you can take this a few steps further:

learn basic meditation technique,focus on your breath,let your body sink and float,isolate(focus on) specific parts of your body,eg,finger,toe,etc.

Try this:

make a fist ready for a king hit,clench it hard and call it 10,release the tension in degrees thus,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,until you have total relaxation at zero.Then continue throughout all other parts of your entire body.

But you do need tension, other wise you'll fall in a heap.

So you need to learn just how much tension is sufficient to control what ever it may be , because too much will hinder relaxed movement,eg, when to tense and when to release.

Hope this makes sense,will elaborate if required.

Best regards, Henry.

Mr.Smash

Find some songs by bands with drummers that use the techniques you want to learn, or write out your own practice licks in Gp5 or power tab.. play along with them until you can do it in your sleep.. then move on to something harder. I dunno... It works for me :D