twooooo bass drums

phil-drummer

ok , forgive me for sounding like a 14 year old slipknot fan wen i ask this, but ive been playin drums with double bass for about 3 years, i dont just play single dubble bass drums for hours on end, andi kno practice makes you better, BUT the question is , what and how shouldi practice if i am to get over 180-190 bpm , i cant go on playin really fast 16th notes cuz eventually ill bust my legs dave lombardo style. lob me sum practice techniques , and stuff, like swivel techneque or flat foot, or you own methods

writheindecay

im taking it that youre a metal drummer, so...

start blasting with one foot. but start using your left foot instead of your right. youre gonna have to slow down a little.

get a metronome, set it to 140 and do 5 minutes RRRRRRR, 5 minutes LLLLL

then 5 minutes rlrlrlr

then 5 minutes lrlrlr

20 times with each foot do this pattern

2-1-2-3

start slow an make sure youre trying to hit as hard with your left foot as you are your right. which will slow you down dramatically, but is totally worth it in the long run,.

what kind of pedals are you using?

phil-drummer

my pedals are embarrassing, their two single pearl p120p's , their obismal, but yeh dude , the advice ruled, keep it coming

writheindecay

phil-drummer":2z5y3fgu said:
my pedals are embarrassing, their two single pearl p120p's , their obismal, but yeh dude , the advice ruled, keep it coming

upgrade to better pedals and youll improve.

you dont want to overwork your legs. i end up doing that all the time and when it comes time for band practices my legs are too tired to keep up soemtimes.

jogging helps alot as well.

phil-drummer

hmm jogging, ill probly whip out the old tredmill , and wen i get £250 or so ill get me some eliminators or some iron cobras, i havent trie eliminators yet, but yeh ill definatly get better pedals, cheers for the tips , their awesome

writheindecay

my buddy john uses eliminators and he is the fastest drummer i know.

theyre good pedals.

iron cobras are nice too. just make sure to spend some time with them before you buy em.

anytime dude, glad i could help. unfortunately there is no over night method of playing double bass, but what i posted has been the best routine for me.

DeadRosedrmr

Another thing that's helpful is busting out the old stick control book. If you dont have one, then google it and print some out. Now do them w/ your feet. Start slow. Do it to a metranome for 2-5 minutes at a time. Within a few months, you will see a considerable difference with your control (when doing inticate patterns), speed, and endurance.

Xander

phil-drummer":1pa1qjfl said:
hmm jogging, ill probly whip out the old tredmill , and wen i get £250 or so ill get me some eliminators or some iron cobras, i havent trie eliminators yet, but yeh ill definatly get better pedals, cheers for the tips , their awesome
the eliminators are amazing. i use them myself. wonderful pedals.

writheindecay

DeadRosedrmr":25s88nbi said:
Another thing that's helpful is busting out the old stick control book. If you dont have one, then google it and print some out. Now do them w/ your feet. Start slow. Do it to a metranome for 2-5 minutes at a time. Within a few months, you will see a considerable difference with your control (when doing inticate patterns), speed, and endurance.

i cant believe i forgot to mention that.

yes, eliminators are excellent pedals.
for me, i just practice and practice. endurance excersizes and long lasting jam sessions have worked great for me.
the one problem i do have is equal strength in my left arm and leg.
doing right and left blast excersises are a real help to me.
playing double bass for almost a year now, i can hit 500+ bpm on a good day.
just constantly practice. thats the best way.

xdoseonex

I personaly would not reccomend iron cobras for metal. they are solid but thay are also extremely slugginsh when compared to an acual high end pedal. if you have the money go for an axis, trick, or dw-9000 pedal. no matter what anyone tells you your not gonna get the results you can with those 3 pedals with anything else

DrumFiend0206

xdoseonex":icqbydkv said:
I personaly would not reccomend iron cobras for metal. they are solid but thay are also extremely slugginsh when compared to an acual high end pedal. if you have the money go for an axis, trick, or dw-9000 pedal. no matter what anyone tells you your not gonna get the results you can with those 3 pedals with anything else
I agree that the Axis, DW9000, and Trick pedals are all really nice, but once you get up to the higher end pedals, there's so miniscule a difference between the brands, that it all just comes down to personal preference. The only thing that's "better" about the Axis, and Trick pedals, is that they make a longboard version......I wish I could get my hands on some of those, my big ass feet barely fit on my 9000's right now.

But like everyone said, rudiments, and practice (but not overpracticing) will make perfect.

writheindecay

Im Jacks Smirking Revenge":sbpkxboz said:
for me, i just practice and practice. endurance excersizes and long lasting jam sessions have worked great for me.
trust me, youre not hitting 500bpm, its impossible.

nickbaldwin

writheindecay":nk8noxye said:
Im Jacks Smirking Revenge":nk8noxye said:
It isnt if its quarter notes!

writheindecay

nickbaldwin":2pbebgns said:
writheindecay":2pbebgns said:
Im Jacks Smirking Revenge":2pbebgns said:
It isnt if its quarter notes!

:lol:

brokenstix

I dont play double bass but try a parradiddle between the base drums, keep getting faster and faster. This will build speed and coordination.

iatemygoat

xdoseonex":55r93d07 said:
currently im forced to use my buddies iron cobra as i await my spring replacements. personally i can only play fast with this pedal, which is awsome but ive got a lot of parts in our songs with slower double bass and i cant keep it consistant.

so if ur a black metal or death metal drummer i would suggest them but for metalcore or something with some heavier hardcore beats and shit, no way. it sure takes a hell of a long time to get used to them too. ive hated this pedal since the first time i played one and i feel like im the only one haha.