tuning your drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

XIxPxGX

i was looking for new ways to tune cause the only technique i was taught was the star pattern and also just a sign note how you like your toms tuned personally like mine low but i just wondering how other drummers tune theirs

Please use the search engine, because there have been loads of topics on tuning already created. You'll find much useful information there.
Shalaq

drummert2k

the "star" pattern you're refering to is pretty much the standard when tuning until you get to fine adjustments. then you can just go right around in a circle.

i personaly find the natural pitch of my shell and tune as close to that as possible just for the beautiful sound you get when the shell and heads really work together. 2ply heads and you dont even need any extra muffling

Zatan

How you tune varies according to what kind of music and kit you're playing.
You can find some useful tips on pages of drum manufacturers, like www.evansdrumheads.com...

If you're in for more detail I would check out: http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
Here you get tuning tips, what heads to select, explanations of wood-types used for drumbuilding, how to minimize frequencies that cause snare buzz and what to consider when buying drums and cymbals, among other things.
The Trust your Ears DVD by Jeff Orcheltree (for example) has some useful tips and demonstrations on seating and tuning.

Then; experiment. I have, through experimentation with tuning, learned much about my instrument; what I can make it sound like and how to tune according to circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.