Tuning toms..

drummerboi819

I just wanted to know how everyone else tunes their toms. I just tune til' they usually sound good, but I know that could potentially damage the hardware in the long run. So, your thoughts on tuning? Btw, I use Evans skins if that helps.

andybfrank

Fairly low, but right in the sweet spot. In other words, tighten it just enough to get a nice full tone out of it, match each rod and tune the bottom head to the same pitch. The back of evans heads boxes usually have some good tips, which if followed, result in very nice sounding drums.

xsongsofselfx

A good tip for everyone: bend your new heads and break the glue before you put the new ones on. If you hear a crackling sound when you put your NEW heads on, they WILL go out of tune. New heads are NOT supposed to go out of tune.

I make sure that my toms are in the correct sequence that I like (by tone as well as size) and I have all the top nuts the same note, while I change the bottom head's notes to a higher note of the same key as the top head, but not the same note, because I don't like a lot of sustain on my toms.

Robobob

xsongsofselfx":194bgc5k said:
A good tip for everyone: bend your new heads and break the glue before you put the new ones on. If you hear a crackling sound when you put your NEW heads on, they WILL go out of tune. New heads are NOT supposed to go out of tune.

I make sure that my toms are in the correct sequence that I like (by tone as well as size) and I have all the top nuts the same note, while I change the bottom head's notes to a higher note of the same key as the top head, but not the same note, because I don't like a lot of sustain on my toms.
What do you mean "bend"?

anavrinIV

Robobob":ctnxjvm8 said:
xsongsofselfx":ctnxjvm8 said:

What do you mean "bend"?
you have to "seat" new heads when you get them. what you do is (with the rim off) place the new head on the shell, put your hands in the center of the head, and press down. youll hear some cracking sounds. keep pushing until those are gone, then put the rim on and tune. youre popping all the glue that is used to put the head together. youll have to retune heads for a few days but after that they should stay in tune for a long time (at least mine do)