Tuning question...

Lancelot Frosty

Cut me some slack, please. XD

How do you guys tune each of your drums?
Assuming I've got a standard five piece...
Would it be like:
Snare: Tight batter, just slightly looser reso?
Toms: Midway batter, slightly looser reso?
Floor Tom: Garnering more to loose, with just a slightly looser reso?
Bass Drum: Similar to the floor?

I know you guys all say there's that "sweet spot" and all, but I'm asking so that I've got a concept of how to tune drums up.
Thanks in advance, guys. :D

Hack_and_Slash

seandude":1i2dp5rr said:
just look at the other 0984609584309869 posts people make about tuning
Or you can just tell the dude and not make him go through the hassle of searching a bunch of posts.

FelterSkelter

Lancelot Frosty":3kidz7z2 said:
Cut me some slack, please. XD

How do you guys tune each of your drums?
Assuming I've got a standard five piece...
Would it be like:
Snare: Tight batter, just slightly looser reso?
Toms: Midway batter, slightly looser reso?
Floor Tom: Garnering more to loose, with just a slightly looser reso?
Bass Drum: Similar to the floor?

I know you guys all say there's that "sweet spot" and all, but I'm asking so that I've got a concept of how to tune drums up.
Thanks in advance, guys. :D
Everyone's got a different way of doing it. It involves patience and a good ear. I find I tune my resos higher than my batter heads. When all is said and done my drums are somewhat of an arpeggio, or as much as possible (from snare-floor or vice versa.) Just use your ears. I sometimes hum the note I'm wanting the drum to be and try my best to get there.

iatemygoat

Hack_and_Slash":3t0dr6a5 said:
seandude":3t0dr6a5 said:
just look at the other 0984609584309869 posts people make about tuning
Or you can just tell the dude and not make him go through the hassle of searching a bunch of posts.
or he could use the search button and find out ten times faster without waiting for people to reply or the thread chaning subjects right away...like this one.

dave lynch

Lancelot Frosty":2b13yoyt said:
Meh.
Thanks anyway guys. :D
And, thanks for telling me, Felter. :)
I would like to tell you how I tune mine but it's not easy to explain..I will say that I like to hear the resos by themselves 1st..I like to hear kind of a slight higher tone that seems like it will ring and not be dead..evenly tuned to each peg..Then that's when I like to add the batter side....Once you have the resos tuned right ( your opinion ) it then makes it much easier to tune the whole kit...There's still much more and folks have their own opinions...Oh yeah remember the next time you hear a drum that sounds great to you and you're able to get a close look at it ( touch it, tap it with your finger ) Find out how it's tuned...Ah hell I hope I helped a little anyways..LOL