TUNING PEARL EXPORT & JOEY JORDISON SIGNATURE SNARE

putraafropunk

Hello everybody,

I have recently purchase myself a 13" Joey Jordison signature snare and am having a bit of trouble tuning it. I must admit I am a novice when it comes to tuning acoustic drums, I have been completely involved in edrums for many years and have only recently decided to use acoustics live again (when I switched to E's I was only a kid and did not know much about them).

So it is almost like starting from scratch for me. The thing is when I purchased the snare it was already tuned pretty nicely, and I used it like this for a while but after some time the tuning started to go a bit off so I decided to loosen the skins completely and retighten thinking that tuning it back up would be easy, unfortunately I havent been able to find that same sound that made me want to buy this drum in the first place. I like the attack and after ring or ping.

I know it isnt the drum becasue it did sound fine before I messed with it, and the head is in pretty good condition. So it must be the tuning (my bad!).

Does anybody have this drum? Even if you don't how would you suggest I tune it?

In addition to this I have a standard 5 piece Pearl Export Kit which I am now using for live shows. Tuning again is my problem. The Toms sound very strange to me (in comparison to the perfect tones experienced on my modules) I have used tape to dampen the drums and still they sound strange, too much ring. Again I think it is down to my tuning abilities - I must be getting it all wrong somehow. I am thinking perhaps the tightness of the top and bottom head maybe need to be of a cetain proportion? Or maybe I'm getting some fundamentals wrong. I accept that a Pearl Export is not going to sound fantastic (as you would expect any top of the range kit to sound) but they really do sound odd at the moment. Again I have a good basis of comparison, sometimes we jam in a live studio and I use the kit provided (low and behold a Pearl Export in much worse condition than mine) and it sounds much better. I can only point fingers at my tuning. :oops:

Any pointers on tom tuning chaps?

Am a few weeks away from an important recording session so I want to make sure I get these things right before I rock up there and do my thang :D

Any comments woulld be much appreciated. I obviously need the help !!

Dale

Well, it's a little hard to teach tuning on the net. If I were you I'd first remove the heads completely. Then start with the resonant head. Make sure the head is seated nicely and get the lugs finger tight first. Then using the criss cross method tune each lug equally. To check each individual lug, place a finger in the center of the tom and tap the head about 2" in from the rim. Make sure each has the same tone. Keep checking the sound by holding the drum up and giving it a whack with a stick. If the sound has a bow wow sound, it needs to come up a bit more. You want a nice even and clean sound. It should be one note "Boom" that doesn't bounce around in the shell. Once this is done, and you are still unsure about tuning, fold up a towel and then place it under the already tuned resonant head. This will stop the resonant head vibrating and affecting the sound. Go through the same process with the batter head. I'd tune that kit so that both heads were tuned evenly with each other in order to keep the note clear.

The drums should ring. The note should be clean and resonant.

As for the snare? I'd do the same. That little snare is a nice drum. I'd tune it similar to the toms but the resonant head would not be as tight as the batter. I like a snare tuned so that the force is focused downwards. This way I can crank up the batter without the sound bouncing up all over the place or choking the drum.

You're just going to have to knuckle down and treat your tuning as practice. The more you do it, the better you'll get.

putraafropunk

Thank you Dale. I apprecaite the detailed feedback. Just from reading your response I've noticed one thing I have been doing different, that is tuning the resonant head quite a bit looser than the batter head, literally slightly tighter than finger tight.

I have a feeling that might be a big factor. I' ll give it a go as soon as I'm at my kit next :D

If anyone has any other comments I'm all ears!!

Dale

putraafropunk":2tiqsynk said:
Thank you Dale. I apprecaite the detailed feedback. Just from reading your response I've noticed one thing I have been doing different, that is tuning the resonant head quite a bit looser than the batter head, literally slightly tighter than finger tight.

I have a feeling that might be a big factor. I' ll give it a go as soon as I'm at my kit next :D

If anyone has any other comments I'm all ears!!
Okay, you probably need to nip the tuning up a bit. Once finger tight, I'd begin with a half turn of the key. If that is too tight I'd then back it off a bit. Depending on the head it might even go a bit higher.

The real trick is to make sure that once you have the resonant head on the drum, when you strike the head with the sick there is no bowing to the sound. It should be a full and even tone. Then when you begin tuning the batter, stick the towel under the reso' head as described above. This will isolate the batter head.

Here's a tip. Hold the shell aloft without any heads on it before you begin tuning and tap the shell with your finger while keeping it close to your ear. You will hear the shell's essential tone or note. Remember that note and tune to that note when tuning the resonant head. This should help you find the area to begin. Once you are used to tuning the shell you can then experiment with different tunings. But when beginning, start at the essential note.

I hope this helps.

Alcyon

This helped me a lot too. I also have a Pearl EX and I'm considering getting the Joey snare, and I've always really loosely tuned my reso heads.

Guess you do know what you're talking about. :p

Rockaflodge

I played a export kit for 6 years, good drums but they are hard drums to tune sometimes. The way I tunned mine were, First I would start on the resonant head, I would tune it up untill I found the natural picth of the drum, then I would go to the batter head and tune it lower than the bottom head for a deep tone and as far as the snare gos, I crank mine all the way down. the tighter the better. I like to hear the crack!