TRUTH, C&C, SJC, PORK PIE, OCDP,SHINE...

OCDPskyler

Alright. I figured I would bring in some more custom companies. What do you think? best quality? prices? etc... And I just listed a few custom companies. If you know of a company you like or know of bring them up to. It's always nice to find new companies.

RogersDrummer

Out of all the custom drum companies I've seen and played on, I would definitely have to say Pork Pie and Spaun are the two best.

Spaun has some of the best finishes I've seen on a drum. You should check them out. Quite expensive though.

anavrinIV

ive always had a thing for pork pie and spaun. i own a spaun snare that is an incredible sounding drum and has the sound im lookng for, even if it is a keller shell. for $350 i couldnt ask for a better sound.

despite my love for spaun, though, i wouldnt spend that kind of money on one of their sets. if i went with a keller set my first choice would be conaway, but for some reason his isnt building right now. after that i would go with epiarch because i really like what theyre doing...not all the flash and hype but i wouldnt dare call them cheaply made or lower quality drums.

honestly, if i wanted to spend a lot of money on a custom set i would contact pearl and get a masterworks set, 6 ply 2 mahogany/2 birch/2 mahogany, for that deep sound with slightly better highs. i dont care that pearl mass produces drums, that set would be a one off for me in my own finish.

overall, anyone who knows what theyre doing can make a good drum set. ocdp, spaun, pork pie, truth, shine, chop shop, six gun, risen, epiarch, conaway, kc/dc, c&c, maryland, saluda, medicine man, etc...., but, no matter how much you want to argue, one is not so much better at cutting and edging shells that i could justify paying thousands more for a name. with the right heads and tuning ive made my swingstars sound better than more expensive sets with bad tunings. id bet that i could make any high end drum sound good with the right heads. an audience wont notice that extra half second of sustain and a recording wont hilight the very subtle differences between a spaun and an ocdp. thats why i would go with a cheaper, just as custom brand. epiarch can get me a 7 pc with a satin finish for under 3 grand...ocdp would cost me 3 times that.

its all preference. i prefer not to support a company i dont believe in.

chris_stuff_er

based on the records i've listened to, of musicians endorsed by those companies, i'd say C&C is pretty awesome. for instance:

Jesse Sandaval | The Shins
Jeremiah Green | Modest Mouse
Cornbread | Engine Down
Chris Common | These Arms are Snakes
Luke Garo | Piebald
Rick Marzotta | Me Without You

now i realize the sound is also part of the producer, engineer, mixer, and various other entities involved, but me likes. i also understand they design for a more classic sound. there's some heavy bands that truth sponsors that i also love. in fact i love the snare sound more on these bands than any of the previous. truth endorses these greats:

Ryan Jake | The Chariot
Steve "Nugget Tray" Bache | He Is Legend
Blake Flemming | The Mars Volta (& Independent releases)

and also endorse drummers for bands that i don't like, but can appreciate their sound:

Atreyu
Anberlin
MxPx
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Underoath (agh!)

Oh, since it was worth mentioning Mars Volta's drummer, you should all check out their performance on The Henry Rollins Show: <a href="http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid348520221?bclid=769428195&bctid=769305384">here</a>

anavrinIV

chris_stuff_er":3oztlc27 said:
based on the records i've listened to, of musicians endorsed by those companies, i'd say C&C is pretty awesome. for instance:

Jesse Sandaval | The Shins
Jeremiah Green | Modest Mouse
Cornbread | Engine Down
Chris Common | These Arms are Snakes
Luke Garo | Piebald
Rick Marzotta | Me Without You

now i realize the sound is also part of the producer, engineer, mixer, and various other entities involved, but me likes. i also understand they design for a more classic sound. there's some heavy bands that truth sponsors that i also love. in fact i love the snare sound more on these bands than any of the previous. truth endorses these greats:

Ryan Jake | The Chariot
Steve "Nugget Tray" Bache | He Is Legend
Blake Flemming | The Mars Volta (& Independent releases)

and also endorse drummers for bands that i don't like, but can appreciate their sound:

Atreyu
Anberlin
MxPx
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Underoath (agh!)

Oh, since it was worth mentioning Mars Volta's drummer, you should all check out their performance on The Henry Rollins Show: <a href="http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid348520221?bclid=769428195&bctid=769305384">here</a>
well, theres a few more reasons for me not to like c&c or truth....

m

out of all those, the two I've played that really stood out were Spaun and Pork Pie. The Spauns were prohibitively expensive I thought, but they were one of, if not the best kit I've ever played.

I've been trying out Po Boy Drums lately; they're not totally custom, but are trying to fill a niche by providing high-quality kits and hardware at decent prices, which happen to be way lower than what most hand-made/customs average.

I've got 4 of their snares and some hardware so far, and I'm very impressed with this gear. They're shipping me a 5 pc kit to check out, and based on how I like that one, I may commission a custom walnut set.
So far, the snares have gone head to head with the DW, Pork Pie, Yamaha, and Slingerland that we've got in the studio right now, and have held their own and even exceeded my expectations. I'll file a report on the kit after I've had it a while, if anyone's interested.

Kaos

Steller custom drums and hoops bu Jody Lutz are tops
Kirsch drums from porland oragon cum in at a very close second

Both companys I fell are at the top of their gams and the drums are second to none.

Benhamin

i like sjc cause they are friendly and responsed to my
emails (p.s. they are coming out with a seat thats like the pork pie chair)
but c&c has brian lane from brand new on it
i think its just what you like
like other people say they are just keller shells
and thats bottom line

anavrinIV

m":210xfl27 said:
out of all those, the two I've played that really stood out were Spaun and Pork Pie. The Spauns were prohibitively expensive I thought, but they were one of, if not the best kit I've ever played.

I've been trying out Po Boy Drums lately; they're not totally custom, but are trying to fill a niche by providing high-quality kits and hardware at decent prices, which happen to be way lower than what most hand-made/customs average.

I've got 4 of their snares and some hardware so far, and I'm very impressed with this gear. They're shipping me a 5 pc kit to check out, and based on how I like that one, I may commission a custom walnut set.
So far, the snares have gone head to head with the DW, Pork Pie, Yamaha, and Slingerland that we've got in the studio right now, and have held their own and even exceeded my expectations. I'll file a report on the kit after I've had it a while, if anyone's interested.
thanks for that link, man. i would really like to try out one of those birch/bubinga kits and for 1850 i may be able to manage it sooner than i would have thought. they look amazing and if they sound as good as you say then i dont think ill be disappointed.

slingerland66

SPAUN drums all the way. I have the coke bottle vented snare. anarvins spaun snare is dope too. as for C&C , i listened to the latest Alkaline trio cd "crimson" and wow that snare sounds like a big pile of CRAP. i heard bums on the street hitting buckets that sound better than that.

Pork Pie knows whats up too.

check out dark horse percussion outta new jersey http://www.darkhorsepercussion.com/dhc_gallery.htm

Timekeep69

You can't really tell how good a drum sounds from a professional recording because of all the effects and compression the sounds goes through.

The only way you can hear it is to have it right in front of you.

I've made recordings of my drums by plugging a mic into my computer and recording a wav or mp3 file with no effects and sent them out before.

m

plus, just because a drummer is on a brand's endorsement list doesn't mean that's what he's using in the studio. Many times the endorsement brand keeps them in fresh gear to abuse live and in public, but the secret weapons come out in the studio. There's really no way to tell, unless the artist themself says exactly what they used in the studio.

youknowitssick

i just recently bought a kit from SJC.
i couldnt decide if i wanted to go with Truth or SJC.
i called truth and tried to talk to them, and they had no time for me.
but i called SJC and we talked for a long time about everything.
they are super friendly, and interact with the customer better than any other company ive ever seen.

meinlplayer

anavrinIV":3qkagsra said:
i would go with epiarch because i really like what theyre doing...not all the flash and hype but i wouldnt dare call them cheaply made or lower quality drums.
The guy who runs Epiarch (Jesse Lizer) goes to the same college as me, and his band plays shows around here... I haven't had much experience with the guy's drums, but I'm not much of a fan of his band... (not that that really matters) but he does make some pretty cool stuff.

The Wes

Truth drums is AMAZING they pretty much invented the chambered snare.
OCDP is pretty sick.
pork pie makes AWESOME snares.
C&C makes cool retro-indie kits.

drummer4thefreaks

I live right round the corner from the only C&C selling shop in the UK (Four Four) They have a real decent 6 piece in there for about &pound;4000, but it's worth the price. I love the way they sound. I'm actually saving for a kit now, but its gunna take me bloody ages.