Triplety fill..

grey_fox

i just had a lesson last week where my teacher showed me this fill that was in triplets and i was wondering how you find this particular one it sounds awesome but is a right basterd to keep right, but i should be able to improve as i am finally getting my own kit. anyhew this is kind of how it goes

Kick then rack tom with left hand then floor tom with right hand and repeat its hard to keep the two tom beats in time!

how long did it take for you to get it?

Dale

Here's a few more combinations for you. Notation is as follows:

R = right hand.
L = left hand.
F = foot.
H = hi hat played with foot.

Play the hand techniques on the snare to begin, and later when they are comfortable play the hand notes on various parts of the kit. Play all to 8th note value. Feet on the pedals of course.

R L F F R L F F

L R F F L R F F

R L F F L R F F

R L F H R L F H

L R F H L R F H

R L H F R L H F

L R H F L R H F

R R H H L L F F

L L H H R R F F

R L H F R L H F

L R H F L R H F

L R F H L R F H

R L F H R L F H

R R H H L L F F

L L H H R R F F

R H L F R H L F

L H R F L H R F

R R H H L L F F

L L H H R R F F

H F R L H F R L

Two bar patterns played as 8th notes.

F F L L F F R R H H H H H H H H

F F R R F F L L H H H H H H H H

R R L L R R R R F H F H F H F H

L L R R L L L L H F H F H F H F

R R R R L L L L F F F F H H H H

L L L L R R R R H H H H F F F F

H H H H R R R R L L L L F F F F

F F F F L L L L R R R R H H H H

H F H F H F H F R R L L R R L L

F F F R L H H H L R L L L R R R

H H H L R F F F R L R R R L L L

These should keep you going for a while.

Dale

No problem. When you get those down, let us know and I'll give you a bunch of triplet based exercies. I would have done it here but wanted to get your hi hat foot working.

Limited Access

I usta love trips untill I got a double pedel and now I love quads. Trips came pretty easy for me but I still practiced them alot. Some people say I ust them to much but I also get alot of compiments beacuse I can do them so well. Youl get them down it just takes time!!!

lee

Try slowing it right down, playing each beat individually. When it feels good, gradually increase the speed, then you'll have it!

Calbanese

If you are looking for a couple of songs where triplets come in handy, try looking at some Wolfmother! I know Heskett tends to add a lot of triplet orientated fills in their songs, and I'm sure there are MANY more drummers who frequently use triplets! Good luck!

distantbeats

Another cool pattern (very Steve Gadd-y) is to do the triplets all on your hands and and hit the bass drum together with the first hit.

rt-ft-sn (r-r-l)

It's a little flick with your right hand and the bass drum hits on the first beat with the rack tom. Looks cool with traditional grip!

-
dB

mikeellis

grey_fox":i1klp5wk said:
i just had a lesson last week where my teacher showed me this fill that was in triplets and i was wondering how you find this particular one it sounds awesome but is a right basterd to keep right, but i should be able to improve as i am finally getting my own kit. anyhew this is kind of how it goes

Kick then rack tom with left hand then floor tom with right hand and repeat its hard to keep the two tom beats in time!

how long did it take for you to get it?
This is a very underused (IMHO) fill, I first heard it played by Ian Paice on the the track 'Flight of the Rat' from the 1970 Deep Purple album; 'In Rock'. Another good example by Mr P is the intro to 'Pictures of Home' from the DP album; 'Machine Head'. Very dramatic start to a song.

Also, Mr Bonham was quite adept at it too!!

It took me a bout a week to get it nailed and then it was a case of varying the thing, starting on the third beat (ahead of the '1'), leaving 'rests' in place of beats etc etc. You can really get dynamic with this feller!