Trigger Basics

percussle

Howepirate":15uyze4c said:
dwtoast72":15uyze4c said:
Howepirate":15uyze4c said:
Rockula!":15uyze4c said:
Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!
I stated this in the other forum but I will repeat it here due to your zealotry
There are certain sounds that people who (obviously) do not play the same type of music you do, cannot achieve because the sounds are opposed to each other (tuning wise)
The low note of the bass drum is hard to achieve while simultaneously producing the clicky sound that defines the notes at high speeds
Therefore, they need to use triggers
Maybe you should do more research before you go off on something you don't fully understand
How about a smaller kick. Can't pull it off with a 24? or 22? get a 20. Triggers are an easy way out. Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall said it best......it just can't remember what exactly he said :D He has now issues pulliing his stuff off (just an example)
Jason Bittner is fucking slow.
....just an example :wink:
Your proving my point now. Have you ever heard 255 bpm?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOZpYBP5UQ4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOZpYBP5UQ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkJvYO9LWnA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkJvYO9LWnA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYPck2WOGew"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYPck2WOGew" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
^sounds like shit
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
dwtoast, maybe you shoud have a second look at howpirate's videos eh? i think he summed up the thread haha.

xdoseonex

his point was that when you you watch the video of bret baddorf playing without triggers it doesnt sound anywher near as clean and percise as the one with triggers although hes a sick drumer and his foot technique is awesome, at those speeds, unless you have triggers, the bass drum hits kind of mush together because of the low frequency of the bass drum.

dahlgrendrummer

Howepirate":2a0m6wf6 said:
dwtoast72":2a0m6wf6 said:
Rockula!":2a0m6wf6 said:
dwtoast72":2a0m6wf6 said:
Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!
There are certain sounds that people who (obviously) do not play the same type of music you do, cannot achieve because the sounds are opposed to each other (tuning wise)
The low note of the bass drum is hard to achieve while simultaneously producing the clicky sound that defines the notes at high speeds
Maybe you should do more research before you go off on something you don't fully understand
How about a smaller kick. Can't pull it off with a 24? or 22? get a 20. Triggers are an easy way out. Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall said it best......it just can't remember what exactly he said :D He has now issues pulliing his stuff off (just an example)
Amen, he thinks he's kicking ass doing 180BPM, lawl...

dahlgrendrummer

xdoseonex":3qr9z2yc said:
his point was that when you you watch the video of bret baddorf playing without triggers it doesnt sound anywher near as clean and percise as the one with triggers although hes a sick drumer and his foot technique is awesome, at those speeds, unless you have triggers, the bass drum hits kind of mush together because of the low frequency of the bass drum.
Zing!

Empyrean Drums

dahlgrendrummer":1wdoe4x3 said:
Howepirate":1wdoe4x3 said:
dwtoast72":1wdoe4x3 said:
Rockula!":1wdoe4x3 said:
dwtoast72":1wdoe4x3 said:
It's not that he's slow that makes him suck.......

Howepirate

Empyrean Drums":268e1tgp said:
dahlgrendrummer":268e1tgp said:
Howepirate":268e1tgp said:
dwtoast72":268e1tgp said:
Rockula!":268e1tgp said:
dwtoast72":268e1tgp said:
That's absolutely try Empyrean :). I'm sure we could make a list on negatives for Bittner.

dwtoast72

xdoseonex":397rmsks said:
point taken...
however, you're talkin about an unmiced kick drum un youtube versus a recorded kick drum via triggers...... it sounded fine to me considering the equipment

tchfunkta

dwtoast72":3lh6r8ps said:
xdoseonex":3lh6r8ps said:
point taken...
however, you're talkin about an unmiced kick drum un youtube versus a recorded kick drum via triggers...... it sounded fine to me considering the equipment

The only reason his bass drum sounds like shit in the non-triggered video is because his drum is tuned like muffled shit, which is fine when you're triggering it, but is a bullshit argument from the trigger guys because some of us non-trigger guys know how to tune their bass drum to sound good. Their arguments about time constraints in the 10 min. setup clubs made me see the benefit though.

Howepirate

tchfunkta":1f7um0tp said:
dwtoast72":1f7um0tp said:
xdoseonex":1f7um0tp said:
point taken...

The only reason his bass drum sounds like shit in the non-triggered video is because his drum is tuned like muffled shit, which is fine when you're triggering it, but is a bullshit argument from the trigger guys because some of us non-trigger guys know how to tune their bass drum to sound good. Their arguments about time constraints in the 10 min. setup clubs made me see the benefit though.
Leave people to their gear. Obviously you guys dont play fucking death metal so leave the shit we use ALONE.

My bass drum has a FUCKING R&B sound AND ITS WONDERFUL! Can you hear it over my cymbals and my loud ass snare when im kicking 240 BPM???? NO. Only I CAN HEAR IT. My guitarist and my screamer couldnt hear shit before i got triggers and I PLAYED LOUDDDDD.

I kick fucking hard as shit and use big ass DW beaters and it ends up just sounding like mush.

tchfunkta

Howepirate":30d9q2wu said:
tchfunkta":30d9q2wu said:
dwtoast72":30d9q2wu said:
xdoseonex":30d9q2wu said:
point taken...

Leave people to their gear. Obviously you guys dont play fucking death metal so leave the shit we use ALONE.

My bass drum has a FUCKING R&B sound AND ITS WONDERFUL! Can you hear it over my cymbals and my loud ass snare when im kicking 240 BPM???? NO. Only I CAN HEAR IT. My guitarist and my screamer couldnt hear shit before i got triggers and I PLAYED LOUDDDDD.

I kick fucking hard as shit and use big ass DW beaters and it ends up just sounding like mush.

Then it's a balance issue. Your other parts of the drums are way too loud so you're having to hit the bass drum so hard it sounds bad. Quieter cymbals and less volume on the snare would allow your bass drum to come down and balance out. Stage volumes don't HAVE to be murder, that's what mics are for.

Howepirate

tchfunkta":2f1hfeab said:
Howepirate":2f1hfeab said:
tchfunkta":2f1hfeab said:
dwtoast72":2f1hfeab said:
xdoseonex":2f1hfeab said:
point taken...

Then it's a balance issue. Your other parts of the drums are way too loud so you're having to hit the bass drum so hard it sounds bad. Quieter cymbals and less volume on the snare would allow your bass drum to come down and balance out. Stage volumes don't HAVE to be murder, that's what mics are for.
NO IT SOUNDS FINE. GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD. ANY DOUBLE BASS PLAYING WITH 16TH NOTES PAST 220 BPM SOUNDS LIKE MUSH NO MATTER WHAT YOU DOOO

tchfunkta

Howepirate":1yyinwyg said:
tchfunkta":1yyinwyg said:
Howepirate":1yyinwyg said:
tchfunkta":1yyinwyg said:
dwtoast72":1yyinwyg said:
xdoseonex":1yyinwyg said:
point taken...

NO IT SOUNDS FINE. GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD. ANY DOUBLE BASS PLAYING WITH 16TH NOTES PAST 220 BPM SOUNDS LIKE MUSH NO MATTER WHAT YOU DOOO

LOL, calm down buddy, it's gonna be ok.

Howepirate

Dude, it's just that people dont understand my point. In that. THEY are WRONG about their ideas on triggering and its uses and importance to drumming.

I watched first hand, Through the eyes of the dead, despised icon, all shall perish, and the red chord. All of them were triggered except the red chord.

THE TRIGGERS FUCKING KILLED! I could feel it beating in my chest! Best feeling ever!...as for the red chord....the drums were lost completely...all you could hear is snare, cymbals, and toms...no bass element...no low undertone....

Sorry but i've proven my point to the fullest and its valid.

Get over it.

percussle

LMAO. funny as thread. i cant see how majority are not understanding howepirate here!?!?!. those who disagree with this man. should just FUCKING START READING THE THREAD FROM PAGE 1 AGAIN!!

Empyrean Drums

percussle":32gz944i said:
LMAO. funny as thread. i cant see how majority are not understanding howepirate here!?!?!. those who disagree with this man. should just FUCKING START READING THE THREAD FROM PAGE 1 AGAIN!!
I would almost agree with him, but he seems to be all over the place.

dahlgrendrummer

tchfunkta":1l807g53 said:
dwtoast72":1l807g53 said:
xdoseonex":1l807g53 said:
point taken...

Duh, you need to muffle it to get the individual strokes to stand out, if it's not, then it's a big boomy pile of feces at any more than 180BPM. I can tune my bass drum to sound awesome, I mean AWESOME, my Maryland Drum kit has one of the best sounding kicks I've ever heard, and I would use acoustically if I were playing in a rock band. But I'm NOT, I'm playing in a metal band that has songs with top tempos into the 210-220 range where I am slamming out 16ths notes with my feet at that speed.

dwtoast72

Howepirate":1nw8suku said:
tchfunkta":1nw8suku said:
Howepirate":1nw8suku said:
tchfunkta":1nw8suku said:
dwtoast72":1nw8suku said:
xdoseonex":1nw8suku said:
point taken...

Then why make it a CONSTANT part of the set??

dwtoast72

Howepirate":3nzylzz8 said:
Dude, it's just that people dont understand my point. In that. THEY are WRONG about their ideas on triggering and its uses and importance to drumming.

I watched first hand, Through the eyes of the dead, despised icon, all shall perish, and the red chord. All of them were triggered except the red chord.

THE TRIGGERS FUCKING KILLED! I could feel it beating in my chest! Best feeling ever!...as for the red chord....the drums were lost completely...all you could hear is snare, cymbals, and toms...no bass element...no low undertone....

Sorry but i've proven my point to the fullest and its valid.

Get over it.
This all seems to go back to what I said about a month or so ago; you sound like you're trying to sell something again, dude. My point of view is that, once again, that triggers are an easy way out. You are not going to change that!!! I joined the site to gain and spread knowledge from personal experiences and research and to share my opinion. My personal experience has allowed me to develope the opinions I have formed. I do not believe in the use of triggers for the reasons previously stated!! That's not going to change!! You're not going to sell this gear or it's use to me, dude. Like I said before, I am not going to deny that it's got it's good points. But in my eyes and to my ears, the bad points greatly out-weigh the good points you guys have mentioned. I will not sacrifice, nor will I support the sacrifice of a drum kit's natural sound for the sake of imitating something the drummer can't actually pull off!
Your point may be quite valid, but it's arguable; very arguable. And that's what I'm doing; I'm arguing it.

xdoseonex

Howepirate":2ipok15z said:
Empyrean Drums":2ipok15z said:
dahlgrendrummer":2ipok15z said:
Howepirate":2ipok15z said:
dwtoast72":2ipok15z said:
Rockula!":2ipok15z said:
dwtoast72":2ipok15z said:

I hear hes a total asshole
That's absolutely try Empyrean :). I'm sure we could make a list on negatives for Bittner.