Trigger Basics

NocturnalDrum

I'm in a metal band and I'm considering using triggers during a live show. I been reluctant to use em' but I gave in. I really don't know where to begin, what do I need to get started?

Howepirate

Basic Piezo trigger: DDRum, Roland, Or axis e-kits if you have axis pedals.

A module to supply the sample

And a way to connect it to an outward source for sound.

NocturnalDrum

Howepirate":2xgg6ark said:

Thanks man!

dwtoast72

NocturnalDrum":3ot6fnq3 said:
Howepirate":3ot6fnq3 said:

Thanks man!
Not starting an argument, but this trigger business only takes away your ability to progress as a drummer. Force yourself to be a better drummer. Practice!!!! Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!

iatemygoat

dwtoast72":303166rg said:
NocturnalDrum":303166rg said:
Howepirate":303166rg said:

Thanks man!
Not starting an argument, but this trigger business only takes away your ability to progress as a drummer. Force yourself to be a better drummer. Practice!!!! Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!
triggering is not cheating!!! ugh im so sick of hearing that shit!

Howepirate

dwtoast72":1hyhc15v said:
NocturnalDrum":1hyhc15v said:
Howepirate":1hyhc15v said:

Thanks man!
God damn it. With triggers you hear EVERY fuckin note you play. EVERY. Whether one is missed or slowed down or sped up YOU'LL hear it. He wont cheat himself with triggers, whatever thats supposed to mean. It'll make him a ton more tighter and seriously more efficient.

dwtoast72

Howepirate":20j2jgon said:
dwtoast72":20j2jgon said:
NocturnalDrum":20j2jgon said:
Howepirate":20j2jgon said:

Thanks man!
God damn it. With triggers you hear EVERY fuckin note you play. EVERY. Whether one is missed or slowed down or sped up YOU'LL hear it. He wont cheat himself with triggers, whatever thats supposed to mean. It'll make him a ton more tighter and seriously more efficient.
Listen to what you just said!!! You just supported (in a way) my point!!!

dwtoast72

If you don't have the discipline to practice and pull the shit off, then you don't have any business on ANY stage!! Make room for those who give a damn about their craft!!

Brother_Bong

dwtoast72":3f3htymt said:
Howepirate":3f3htymt said:
dwtoast72":3f3htymt said:
NocturnalDrum":3f3htymt said:
Howepirate":3f3htymt said:

Thanks man!
Listen to what you just said!!! You just supported (in a way) my point!!!
Dude, I think your missing what Howe said. Triggers will show your mistakes, almost more so than without, cus it won't get buried in the mush. Pro-tools and griding, now those are to hide mistakes.

Rockula!

dwtoast72":zrt86rla said:
Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!
I stated this in the other forum but I will repeat it here due to your zealotry
There are certain sounds that people who (obviously) do not play the same type of music you do, cannot achieve because the sounds are opposed to each other (tuning wise)
The low note of the bass drum is hard to achieve while simultaneously producing the clicky sound that defines the notes at high speeds
Therefore, they need to use triggers
Maybe you should do more research before you go off on something you don't fully understand

dwtoast72

Rockula!":21lr1ype said:
dwtoast72":21lr1ype said:
Use a MIC!! It'll help you develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick??? Then tune it up nice and fat, and kick the shit out of it until you get every kicked note to sound the same....... DON'T CHEAT YOURSELF!!!
There are certain sounds that people who (obviously) do not play the same type of music you do, cannot achieve because the sounds are opposed to each other (tuning wise)
The low note of the bass drum is hard to achieve while simultaneously producing the clicky sound that defines the notes at high speeds
Maybe you should do more research before you go off on something you don't fully understand
How about a smaller kick. Can't pull it off with a 24? or 22? get a 20. Triggers are an easy way out. Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall said it best......it just can't remember what exactly he said :D He has now issues pulliing his stuff off (just an example)

Empyrean Drums

dwtoast72":3vpruzip said:
Rockula!":3vpruzip said:
dwtoast72":3vpruzip said:
How about a smaller kick. Can't pull it off with a 24? or 22? get a 20. Triggers are an easy way out. Jason Bittner of Shadows Fall said it best......it just can't remember what exactly he said :D He has now issues pulliing his stuff off (just an example)
Ah, What a great example; someone with no experience trying to quote something he doesn't remember from a guy he doesn't really know.

dwtoast72

Empyrean Drums":23k1yg8s said:
dwtoast72":23k1yg8s said:
Rockula!":23k1yg8s said:
dwtoast72":23k1yg8s said:
Ah, What a great example; someone with no experience trying to quote something he doesn't remember from a guy he doesn't really know.
Wow, nice of you t........never mind.... I've had my experience withem'. Didn't like them for the very reasons I've stated.

Empyrean Drums

dwtoast72":adbnqqrb said:
Empyrean Drums":adbnqqrb said:
Rockula!":adbnqqrb said:
Wow, nice of you t........never mind.... I've had my experience withem'. Didn't like them for the very reasons I've stated.
The only reasons you stated were because you think it's cheating or somehow they make playing easier, which they don't.
If you play sloppy without triggers you'll play just as sloppy with triggers-except everyone will be able to hear just how sloppy you are.

Howepirate

dwtoast72":2lx4xuz4 said:
Rockula!":2lx4xuz4 said:
dwtoast72":2lx4xuz4 said:
Jason Bittner is fucking slow.

dwtoast72

Howepirate":3uj7j8le said:
dwtoast72":3uj7j8le said:
Rockula!":3uj7j8le said:
dwtoast72":3uj7j8le said:
....just an example :wink:

Howepirate

dwtoast72":2hcz1ghw said:
Howepirate":2hcz1ghw said:
Rockula!":2hcz1ghw said:
Your proving my point now. Have you ever heard 255 bpm?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOZpYBP5UQ4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOZpYBP5UQ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkJvYO9LWnA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jkJvYO9LWnA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYPck2WOGew"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bYPck2WOGew" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
^sounds like shit
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

xdoseonex

dwtoast72":8rv4p75z said:
NocturnalDrum":8rv4p75z said:
Howepirate":8rv4p75z said:

Thanks man!
One thing about triggers are they keep you on your toes, and add to your ability to progress as a drummer. By getting triggers you will force yourself to be a better drummer. and greatly help you to develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick? use a trigger. They make you play PERFECTLY or else everyone hears it. slip up on a bass drum hit? hit a double instead of a single? everyones gonna hear it. rest your beater against your drum head by accedent? people are gonna hear it. so by getting triggers you will force yourself become a cleaner player because any mistakes on your kicks are gonna shine through for everyone to hear, including yourself. plus a mic cant do the job of a trigger no matter how good your sound guy is. the mic is still picking up the actual sound of the drum. so in short triggers are a the way to go if your good enough to play with them. i think dwtoast is really confused. triggers will train you to be a tighter player not a worse one. but dont start that tapping bullshit. noone likes a tapper. in wfd video i hit softly and my beater distance is pretty short. but thats bcause i'm going for strictly speed. its important to use power in your strokes and not rely on the triggers. when i play normall my beater distance is twice what it is in that video, and i hit twice as hard. and i can still hit the same speeds. dont let anyone tell you not to get triggers. they cant be substututed. I'm accually kinda confused about the above quote. there no difference in my playing if i'm playing triggered or not. other than me making a effort to pay cleaner while im using triggers. you dont hit softer when using triggers. or play any different at all. so how are triggers gonna take away from your ability to play as a drummer? can you flip the switch on the trigger and suddenly be good again? i'v never had sticking a pad on my bass drum make me a worse player. but i'v sure had it make me pay attention to every stroke.
Remember:
Metal doesnt get its unique sound from dynamics the way other music does. it gets its sound from consistancy.

dwtoast72

Howepirate":3p5qy2ji said:
dwtoast72":3p5qy2ji said:
Howepirate":3p5qy2ji said:
Rockula!":3p5qy2ji said:
Howepirate said:
Your proving my point now. Have you ever heard 255 bpm? quote]
So, this guy is using dw5000s, not AXIS!! and NO TRIGGERS!!?? I think you're proving my point.... Apparently he had the discipline to practice.

dwtoast72

xdoseonex":1vqzes0b said:
One thing about triggers are they keep you on your toes, and add to your ability to progress as a drummer. By getting triggers you will force yourself to be a better drummer. and greatly help you to develope your playing technique. You want that perfect sounding kick? use a trigger. They make you play PERFECTLY or else everyone hears it. slip up on a bass drum hit? hit a double instead of a single? everyones gonna hear it. rest your beater against your drum head by accedent? people are gonna hear it. so by getting triggers you will force yourself become a cleaner player because any mistakes on your kicks are gonna shine through for everyone to hear, including yourself. plus a mic cant do the job of a trigger no matter how good your sound guy is. the mic is still picking up the actual sound of the drum. so in short triggers are a the way to go if your good enough to play with them. i think dwtoast is really confused. triggers will train you to be a tighter player not a worse one. but dont start that tapping bullshit. noone likes a tapper. in wfd video i hit softly and my beater distance is pretty short. but thats bcause i'm going for strictly speed. its important to use power in your strokes and not rely on the triggers. when i play normall my beater distance is twice what it is in that video, and i hit twice as hard. and i can still hit the same speeds. dont let anyone tell you not to get triggers. they cant be substututed. I'm accually kinda confused about the above quote. there no difference in my playing if i'm playing triggered or not. other than me making a effort to pay cleaner while im using triggers. you dont hit softer when using triggers. or play any different at all. so how are triggers gonna take away from your ability to play as a drummer? can you flip the switch on the trigger and suddenly be good again? i'v never had sticking a pad on my bass drum make me a worse player. but i'v sure had it make me pay attention to every stroke.
Remember:
Metal doesnt get its unique sound from dynamics the way other music does. it gets its sound from consistancy.
That tapping shit is what I'm getting at.... I'm NOT.......CONFUSED!!! I happen to have a different and more "analogist" point of view, if you get my drift.... The "PERFECT" playing you're refering to is a good aspect of the trigger, I will not sit here and deny that there are bad points as well as good points on the trigger score sheet. On the point about the mic, you initially NEED a MIC; do you not?? Or do you download the kickdrum sample :?: As far as your "video" goes (I haven't seen it, but I'l take your word for it) you aperently do not need triggers for the sake of speed if you can reach both speed and volume. Metal doesn't get it's unique sound from a bass drum, by the way.