Tried the Pearl Demon Drive pedals last night...

Multibomber

My expectations were pretty low because, well thats how I live my life... and here's what I found:

1. They're very pretty
2. The beaters suck, stick with the IC or DW beaters
3. The Z-link bar that connects the slave pedal is a masterpiece of hardware engineering. Pearl invented its own U-joints. They look completely different then a regular u-joint and there really, truly is NO lag in the slave pedal whatsoever. I dont know how they did it! They design is pretty complex, much more so than you can see in pictures, and its awesome!
4. All the adjustments are top notch, from beater position and pitch, to stroke length to tension, they're far more functional and easy to change than any other pedal.
5. The longboard makes a HUUUUUUUUUUGE difference in the speed and power of the pedal, I love it!
6. There are no spikes on the pedal, not on the master, not on the slave, nowhere. How the fukkitty fuck did Pearl solve the slacking U-joint problem but not have the presence of mind to put spikes on the pedal so it wouldn't slide?!?!? The slave pedal was dancing all over the place when I played! How can a company charge top dollar for an uber-pro piece of equipment and not put the most basic feature on the pedal?!?! I refuse to pay $650 for a top of the line product that is OBVIOUSLY missing something that even $150 double pedal has standard!

Other than that its the best pedal I've ever played.

Ericinho6

That really baffles me that there aren't any spikes on either pedal. And did you just say that pedal is 650 BUCKS!?!?!? No way!

Howepirate

Pearl didn't innovate shit with their driveshaft. Same concept as steering linkage in a car. All the good companies make some "improvement" upon it and call it completely original.

I played it too. It's decent. Still overpriced tho.

Howepirate

Oh and by the way, Iron Cobras with their awesome floor spikes have slid more than my Axis have ever even moved from a rug. Axis dont have spikes, industrial strength velcro ftw.

Multibomber

My DW 5000s are one big thing of industrial strength velcro, and I still need the spikes out, plus the bass drum spikes, plus a bass drum anchor to keep my pedal and/or bass drum from moving. Its partly because the carpeting on my drum carpet is a little too long and the velcro doesnt grip it very well. And the design of the driveshaft is indeed unique. Yes of course it does the same thing, but most u-joints do the same thing... the way they got rid of the slack in the linkage, I think is genius.

And yes, I like them better than the Tricks but that is a matter of preference, not necesarily function; I couldnt get used to the feel of the compression spring because it increases resistance as the beater gets closer to the head, but thats probably my lack of skill.

And both pedals are ungodly expensive, but I wouldnt mind paying top dollar for a PERFECT product.

shine.fm-youth

Multibomber":1kqtnj7p said:
I couldnt get used to the feel of the compression spring because it increases resistance as the beater gets closer to the head, but thats probably my lack of skill..
actually an expansion spring creates that problem WAY more then a compression spring ever could

Moshii

I don't like the demon drives. Maybe it's just that they don't tune very high, but I don't like the feel or size. They look pretty, but that's where it ends for me. And it costs too much for something I don't like.
I'll just stick with my $90 Pearl P-900s, thank you very much.

Howepirate

Multibomber":3q2ni01h said:
My DW 5000s are one big thing of industrial strength velcro, and I still need the spikes out, plus the bass drum spikes, plus a bass drum anchor to keep my pedal and/or bass drum from moving. Its partly because the carpeting on my drum carpet is a little too long and the velcro doesnt grip it very well. And the design of the driveshaft is indeed unique. Yes of course it does the same thing, but most u-joints do the same thing... the way they got rid of the slack in the linkage, I think is genius.

And yes, I like them better than the Tricks but that is a matter of preference, not necesarily function; I couldnt get used to the feel of the compression spring because it increases resistance as the beater gets closer to the head, but thats probably my lack of skill.

And both pedals are ungodly expensive, but I wouldnt mind paying top dollar for a PERFECT product.

Wrong velcro then.

Multibomber

I was thinking I could get the loop part of the velcro sewn into my drum rug. Cuz the hook side or the velcro sticks to the loop side wonderfully, but doesnt stick to my carpet very well. Its the carpet. I wish I could just find those cool entrance carpets with the rubber on the bottom thats 6ft x 8ft. They hold the drums the best and you have to use a crowbar to get the velcro on your pedals to let go. Unfortunately, I can only find it 5x8 and its not enough. I was thinking of stealing the one in the entrance in the Hard Rock Hotel here in San Diego. Its the perfect size and I think the Hard Rock logo would be awesome to have on my drum mat.

TheYardstick

Howepirate":2q45fwf8 said:
Oh and by the way, Iron Cobras with their awesome floor spikes have slid more than my Axis have ever even moved from a rug. Axis dont have spikes, industrial strength velcro ftw.
Depends on the carpet.

The only thing I've ever got to stick and stay to my carpet is industrial strength spray-on adhesive.

My carpet is too thick and long for the velcro to stick and the spurs don't really stick in either. Luckily, I have two bass drums to weigh down the pedals.

Dropped in to Guitar Center after work today, to pick up a stick holder. Was browsing and checking out the display kits. One of em had a Demon Drive pedal, so I gave it a whirl.

Not bad. Pretty smooth. I'm not a fan of the beaters though, nor the price tag (overpriced!!!!). I didn't spend much time with it though, just gave it a few kicks and stopped, so I wouldn't have the sales associate getting bent out of shape about the racket. (He turned out to be pretty cool, and had I thought about it, I would have went back over to the kit and tested it some more).

Honestly, what little time I did spend with it, it didn't make me fall out of my chair in amazement or anything, but nice pedal though. I was wearing work boots too, so that might have made some sort of difference, seeing as I don't normally play in boots.

I'll stick with my Cobra's for now.

Brother_Bong

The u-joint design IS Tricks. They hold the patent. They are just kind enough to let Pearl use it. And actually on the Tricks when the roller bearing gets to the end of the stroke, it has already started to return, thus preloading the energy on the back stroke. Also I have never had a slipping problem with my Axis or Tricks. Use a Berber or similar rug.

Multibomber

Bong, that sounds interesting. I havent actually played the Trick Bigfoots, just the their shortboards. WHoever made that U-joint should get some kind of medal, cuz its amazing! I couldnt get the beater of the Trick pedals to actually hit the head with any power, it seemed to stop just short of the head. I'll have to find the bigfoots and try em out.

THe best way to test pedals at GC is to take them off the kit, and move them over to the pedal testing area so you can kick on em for a long time and not bug the hell out of everyone around you.

Whats a Berber?

Brother_Bong

Multibomber":2cwj8noz said:
Bong, that sounds interesting. I havent actually played the Trick Bigfoots, just the their shortboards. WHoever made that U-joint should get some kind of medal, cuz its amazing! I couldnt get the beater of the Trick pedals to actually hit the head with any power, it seemed to stop just short of the head. I'll have to find the bigfoots and try em out.

THe best way to test pedals at GC is to take them off the kit, and move them over to the pedal testing area so you can kick on em for a long time and not bug the hell out of everyone around you.

Whats a Berber?
First off, the way they get shipped out is not flattering at all. The hoop adjustment must be made first, so that the beater strikes when perfectly vertical. Anything beyond top dead center is counter-active due to the rollerbearing/cam set up. Then adjust the beater throw, pedal hight, and tension. All of which only take minor adjustments for major differences. If there is a fault with the Tricks, it's that the are so damn adjustable, and one little tweek makes a big difference. Once they are dialed in though......
Here's a good review I found.
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/trick-p ... drum-pedal

Oh, a Berber is that kinda apartment quality, low pile, nappy rug. Durable as hell, and the grip tape bonds enough to make it difficult to actually remove the pedal.

Damagedrummer

I've tried 'em at the Frankfurt musik messe, just for a few strokes and just like full metal drummer said, it didn't make me fall of the throne. They were ok and felt good. Maybe I was expecting too much and I definatly want to try them behind a proper kit, instead of some rubber glued onto a frame, but I also think Pearl is a great marketing machine...I'll wait off the reactions of drummers who toured with the pedals and see what they have to say about it. If they hold up and stuff. And maybe by then the price hopefully will have dropped, 'cause damn I ain't gots the money!

johnny nobody

I tried em at GC an got the same impression right off about the beaters, also they were too tightly adjusted in the store set. But the universal was nice cause it isn't off set like all the crappy uni's on other peds. which keeps em from havin that flippy feel. Long boards are just better at most fast or power playin cause your whole foot is on board an in control from toe to heal.

Multibomber

The Trick drive shaft linkage is nothing like the Pearl Demon Drive linkage

See the U-joints? That design has inherent slack, there's a gap between the 2 U's.

THe Pearl Design seals that slack
The Demon Drive one rules... cant speak for the Trick version

Brother_Bong

Thats the old design. Trick actually makes the u-joints and drive shaft for Pearl. I got my info from Zen, who we all know is a Trick endorsed artist, and is in constant contact with the owners. There have been 3 or 4 designs so far, each new one improving on the last.

Damagedrummer

Come to think of it, it's a pretty big deal to reinvent the u-joint. They are found in so many industrial machines like cars. What will that u-joint do for cars if it changes the feel of a bassdrumpedal...