Tribute bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

I know the majority here will consider a tribute band pretty ridiculous and pointless just as I do for the most part but I was contacted by some musicians here in Detroit who saw some of my Rush vids and was asked to join a Rush tribute band. I'm by no means a professional drummer like BillRay and would only consider it for s@#*s and giggles. I have a friend who's in A sabbath tribute band and they gig every week and he tells me how much of a blast he's havin with it. Just curious on what some of the opinions on here are. Has anyone here played and gigged in a tribute band?

Call me Gideon

I haven't yet but my guitar player wants us to form a side project, as a NOFX tribute band, and call ourselves YESFX. I dunno. Might be fun but there's no way I'd turn into my main gig.

m

if you think you'd enjoy it, that's all that matters. Tribute bands seem to do pretty good business these days.
And I think a Rush tribute would be a lot of fun. A lot of work too, but you've obviously done your homework there already.
If the other guys are tight musicians, give it a shot and see what you think.
The only downside I can see is that most folks coming to see a tribute show probably expect a high degree of accuracy, probably even down to the gear.
I've seen your videos before, but I don't recall if you're using a 'Peart-ian' setup presently or not. I would think you'll need to for the show.

I haven't played in a band strictly devoted to one particular act, but I've always enjoyed sneaking homages to our favorite inspirations into our sets.
Keep us posted if you decide to do it.

Timekeep69

Tribute bands do very well. That's how Tim "Ripper" Owens got the gig singing for Judas Priest in the 90's.

okjohne

If your serious you can make a G$ a night and more doin tributes.. Have you heard of hells Bells (ACDC all female) They sell out thousand seat theaters at 25$ a ticket. Lets see that's $25,000. How much you think the drummer gets.

mute

Call me Gideon":2hmqh34s said:
I haven't yet but my guitar player wants us to form a side project, as a NOFX tribute band, and call ourselves YESFX. I dunno. Might be fun but there's no way I'd turn into my main gig.
gideon, let's start a lagwagon tribute band instead.

not only can they do well but, if it's a band you already love and play all the tunes anyway, it will probably be fun. personally, i love doing covers, though being stuck with only one band might get a bit boring, and i don't know if i'd ever be able to act the part of the band. but as long as it doesn't get taken too seriously (i.e. 'you have to shave your balls because that's what peart does'), why the hell not?

SmellsLikeIan

I have a friend who plays guitar in an original metal band and 3 of them also do a ZZ Top side project. They actually make a lot more money doing the ZZ covers, like $2 grand a show. I guess it doesn't hurt that my buddy and the bass player both have really long ZZ Top style beards!

BillRayDrums

Tribute bands are where the cash is. You can charge BIG $$$ for a tribute band. I once talked to Gregg Allman and he was saying how hard it is with "all the tribute bands" out there". I said "Oh you mean 'the Almost Brothers'?" He got a kick out of that.

Shoot man I'd get that gig if I were you. I auditioned for the Pink Floyd Experience this past summer. They have a major theatre tour coming up. The only reason I didn't get the chair was because the sax player Jesse Molloy and the drummer John Staten work together in "On the One" and scheduling would be easier to handle, having both players coming from one square situation... Nepotism at it's most practical.

drumur

Yeah, "the Musical Box" GENESIS Tribute plays majors venues for big money. They even had Phil Collins sit in before.
Years ago I played in a Bruce Springsteen tribute that toured all over New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. It was a lot of fun. They went all out with production and we played large venues.

I also played with a GENESIS tribute called Firth of Fifth.
http://www.myspace.com/firthoffith2

and this band "Front Line" did a Rush Tribute
http://www.myspace.com/frontlinetribute

Do it dude!
If not anything else, you'll develop additional drumming vocabulary.
Have Fun!

rufus4dagruv

Three of my current bandmates and I were in a Bob Marley tribute band together prior to our current project. We made some very nice coin and it was always a good time. Studying as much Carlton Barrett as I did, not to mention playing it frequently, really deepened my groove.

The Australian Pink Floyd comes to town and sells out multiple nights at The Tower Theater in Philly. The Musical Box was mentioned and another real big one is Dark Star Orchestra who are the biggest Grateful Dead cover band ever arguably. They actually recreate exact setlists from particular shows ever time they play. They even alter the gear they use, the stage layout, and the correct male/female vocal harmonies for the years Donna Jean was in the band. They make REAL nice money.

I had contacted their webmaster when our Marley tribute was starting out. I was curious about legal issues, primarily. The guy was super friendly and offered me tons of great advice.

I don't know how serious this band that approached you is, but if you were down for committing a good part of your spare time to a project like this, and you dig on the music, you would have a lot to gain I think.

SocKeT

Tribute bands make great party gigs and do very well at bars from my experience. Has anyone heard of Second Hand Smoke, they are a Sublime tribute band. Im a huge Sublime fan and those dudes are right on. They do House of Blues shows

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

Wow!..I'm in total shock!.. i thought for sure with all the original drummers here, i would've gotten lynched for even bringing it up.. now you all got me more geeked. I might give it a shot with these guys and see what happens..if it don't work, maybe start my own..sounds like it could be fun.

Thanks all!

Shogun

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

m":1gnxkqo3 said:
I've seen your videos before, but I don't recall if you're using a 'Peart-ian' setup presently or not. I would think you'll need to for the show.
Ha ha... well.. I had the day off today and was bored..so turned it into "reconfig the kit" day just for the hell of it... gave my son something to do too..hell..he sets my kit up at my gigs better than i can.

Check it out..
I got it pretty close except for missing a floor tom and a high tom..

Yea... I'm a dork... ha ha...

Rob Crisp

Awesome kit mate! We've seen you play and you're awesome! Giveit a go, what's the worst that could happen?! I mean, you may have to work on some crazy ass solo too....... Rush fans will want to see that for sure!

drumur

That's awesome...now you'll really look authentic.
I didn't try to imitate the set up but it's better if you do.
One thing I did do is I used a Roland Octapad for various sounds...especially the bells in Spirit of Radio.
Good Luck and have fun!!!!!!

BillRayDrums

SHOGUNWARRIOR32":1hl6w314 said:
Wow!..I'm in total shock!.. i thought for sure with all the original drummers here, i would've gotten lynched for even bringing it up.. now you all got me more geeked. I might give it a shot with these guys and see what happens..if it don't work, maybe start my own..sounds like it could be fun.

Thanks all!

Shogun
Hey man a gig is a gig and you have by far the COOLEST opportunity to be "Surreal Neil". Can you imagine all the air-drumming you'd be the catalyst for? Seriously, Air-drumming is a catalyst for a successful Rush concert and I'm sure you'd have the crowd rockin'.

On the inverse: I got to hang with John Molo (Bruce Hornsby's former drummer) for a while. We were in the drive-thru at In-n-Out Burger and I asked him "Would you join a garage band?" knowing FULL WELL that he would poo-pooh the idea but instead he said "Absolutely". I was floored!! Dennis Chambers had told me 5 years prior "It's not about "levels" per se', but "circles in which you hang out within".

So...I joined a "garage band" and we went into the studio. A producer heard my playing and started using me on his projects. Other producers heard his work, and started asking for my work.

That's how it rolls, pals. And if you can "stand up innit", then you can do what I do. But then again, if you have a semblance of "normalcy" maybe what I do is not for you. I live on a very thin edge but I love it.

Oh BTW I have a rare night off. I'm on AIM at billraydrums. If youse wanna chat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.