Traps kits

phil-drummer

At my college theirs 2 4 peice kits and 3 traps kit , i have to say , I CANT STAND TRAPS KITS, they totally ruin your persepctive of how a drum should sound , ive found my self tuning my kit to sound like paper ever since, they crap and the bass drums sound like a gong bass, agh ,

what are your veiws ?

TrunJun

Errr... correct me if I'm wrong, but arent Trap Sets just a fancy way of saying Drum Kit... THEY SHOULD BE THE SAME FRICKIN' THING!

Fraz_whatley

he means the traps thin drum kits, so your wrong haha, if the bass sounds like a gong bass i might jus get one of them lol. i looove gong bass haha

madchops

what the hell is he talking about? Ive never heard of traps thin kits. Maybe arbiter flats. Does he mean an old set? Do half of you even know what you are talking about. Do any of you Joey Jordison worshippers know what a sock cymbal is?

screamkevin

madchops, don't be a dick. Traps was a predominantly European version of Arbiter's "Flats". Mellow out, dude. Phil's a good kid. And he's trying to learn. It's responses like yours that alienate the younger generation from us. If you're ignorant with the "Joey Jordison worshipping, non-sock-cymbal-knowing" crowd, they'll be just as impatient with us "Sock-cymbal-knowing-Buddy-Rich-Baby-Dodds-worshipping" old folks. Tolerance goes both ways.

mlumpkin13

madchops, don't be a dick. Traps was a predominantly European version of Arbiter's "Flats". Mellow out, dude. Phil's a good kid. And he's trying to learn. It's responses like yours that alienate the younger generation from us. If you're ignorant with the "Joey Jordison worshipping, non-sock-cymbal-knowing" crowd, they'll be just as impatient with us "Sock-cymbal-knowing-Buddy-Rich-Baby-Dodds-worshipping" old folks. Tolerance goes both ways.

I have to agree with screamkevin on this one. Yes a "trap kit" and a "drum set" are the same thing, but there's got to be a nicer way to say it. I've been playing for almost 20 years so I don't know if I'm considered the "younger" generation or not, but I respect my elders and younger drummers that I meet. Yes, tolerance does have to go both ways.

nickbaldwin

Thats it for those of you who dont know what it is, or are too far up themselves to research it, as the younger generation always talk bollocks....

They also make an electric set, and an acoustic to electric conversion set (mesh heads, electronic cymbals, brain, and triggers designed to specifically fit the traps rim.

Go Champale

Those things look like they would sound terrible. I can't imagine a bass drum without a shell could sound good. I guess that's why there aren't Roto-Bass drums. Maybe you need to add a sock cymbal.....so the jazzers will take you seriously.....

nickbaldwin

Go Champale":lgcnm9pc said:
Those things look like they would sound terrible. I can't imagine a bass drum without a shell could sound good. I guess that's why there aren't Roto-Bass drums. Maybe you need to add a sock cymbal.....so the jazzers will take you seriously.....
The bass drum has 2 heads instead of the Arbiter Flats 1 head, which I guess adds a little more control. It does have a shell, but its only 22"x2" or something ridiculous...

And does anyone even play sock cymbals anymore?

These TRAP kits are designed to be the most portable drums availible. There was an article done in Modern Drummer a few months back. The kick and the snare both have shells that are 4" deep, with two heads. The kick is 20" in diameter. The kit folds up, without taking anything but the cymbles off the rack. And it wieghs a total of 35 pounds. Check out the MD article for more info.

hovis21

Ah well, someone had to buy one!

The bass drum is pretty bad. I have to admit. I've damped it down (if that's the right term) with some padding but it still doesn't sound right. Bear in mind the only thing i have to compare it to is my teachers kit but it seems to have only two settings...despite all my efforts with tuning.

1) As the first poster said, sounds like a gong, with dodgy reverb and all!
2) Flat as a pancake, no deep sound - imagine you filled your bass drum entirely with padding/pillows etc. and that's what you've got.

The toms are Ok, not great. The largest won't tune right, is either too high pitched or reverbs beyond belief.

The snare I like, nice and snappy, the Big Dog hardware is good enough, the cymbals are of course sh*t but then i expected that.

I bought the kit as i struggle for space and it seemed the perfect option. In retrospect I wish i'd bitten the bullet and bought a trad. kit but for the short term whilst i learn the ropes it'll do. I'll trade up when i can afford it.

Tom

FelterSkelter

This is why I love this forum.....because someone has introduced something that I've never heard of. And once again, it sounds like something I'd want on my kit.
but....
WHAT THE HELL IS A SOCK CYMBAL?

Blond_Duke

screamkevin":2fgs8hzb said:
I'm of the Young Generation and don't really like Joey Jordison and i have looked into him a good bit. It's not my thing. I think they is much more you can do then what he does. Good but not nearly close to being ideal material in my book. Buddy Rich isn't a fav of me either but i study him so i can learn jazz and jazz soloing. Over the years i have grown found of his drumming.

DrummerByron

Here is a sock cymbal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sock-Cymbal ... otohosting

And I knew a punk drummer that played on a Traps kit but his kick had about a 4 in" wide shell and no reso head. The whole kit could fold up and fit into a suit-case. The sound was good for punk, but I would not choose one. I was kinda jelous of it's compactability until I heard it got ripped off, a whole kit gone in one fell swoop. That's gotta suck.