Towel Under the snare?

DrumsPlus

Recently I've seen two locale guys put towels on their snare stand, but not touching the snare at all. When I asked them about it, they told me it was to help reduce the volume without muffling the snare. Has anyone else tried this before and does it work?

DrumsPlus

Alan_":3ioeg7w8 said:
I have never heard of this before. where is the towel placed?
Right below the snare wires, but not touching them. Basically they unfolded a towel and laid it across a whole stand underneath the snare.

Alan_

interesting, I'd imagine it would cut the sound some. still, for me, it's the bottom head that I like to hear more of, as that's where all the "snap" comes from.

DrumsPlus

Not sure, like I said it was a first for me too. These guys do have a reputation for knowing what they are doing, so I just wanted to put the question out there to see if anyone else has done it.

Vanden

I just saw in Febuary's Rythm mag that someone puts a sponge (washing up sponge) just resting on the snare strings, like on the stand just touching the strings.

dammow

i think it is to help prevent snare 'buzz' more than anything else.

the drum tuning bible mentions something about a towel under the snare in the section about snare buzz.

Gabimo

Vanden":2t39dc2r said:
I just saw in Febuary's Rythm mag that someone puts a sponge (washing up sponge) just resting on the snare strings, like on the stand just touching the strings.
sounds sketchy

DrumsPlus

I asked again, and both of them stated that it quites the snare down. I've tried it a few times now and it doesn't seem to do anything.

xdoseonex

Vanden":2yrtvhd7 said:
i used todo that whe i was little

jimmybang

For me theres nothing better than a feminine pad duct taped to the bottom of the snare (not touching the snares)...as well as the tops of my toms. I guess its whatever the player hears and feels thats best suited for him/her.

liquidrummr

It seems to cut down on the "buzz" a little. When your playing between two cranked up Marshall stacks, buzz can be quite the problem.

IamBilluRnot

I'm not sure why anyone would want to reduce the volume of a snare by any means other than wrist and arm control. Dynamics are what makes playing an acoustic instrument exciting.

withrhythm

This is an interesting post. Not one drummer so far has questioned why these guys would want to change the sonic value of their drum.

These simple steps will help eliminate any issues you may have with your whole kit:
STEP 1: Learn to play
STEP 2: Know your drum... material, head, size, depth, etc
STEP 3: Learn how to TUNE! and adjust your snare tension and bottom head
STEP 4: play with DYNAMICS

Damn I hate to sound like a wise guy, but really! If your snare is buzzing, find out why. Learn to throw you tensioner on and off (good rule to follow when your drums are set up but not being played). If the song is just singer and guitar, turn off the snare. If your band is so loud that your snare buzzes, then you are on really big stages with bad monitors, or your guitarists are selfish players! (see step 4)

But the answer to the post is... the towel is simply canceling the sound wave coming from the drum and coming back from the floor or stage. And, it is merely affecting what the drummer himself hears and not the sound that would come through a PA or console depending on mic placement. Place your drum and stand on a tile floor and hit it... Now place it on a carpet and hit it... same concept only you are bringing the dampening closer...

Personally, I like to hear the drum set how it sounds as a kit...

PS - to tampon guy... I have seen this done and it s so wrong on so many levels!! LOL

likelight2flies

dammow":2ciu3s8j said:
i think it is to help prevent snare 'buzz' more than anything else.

the drum tuning bible mentions something about a towel under the snare in the section about snare buzz.
I think that was to kill any sound from the head you weren't tuning. I could be wrong.

xdoseonex

well, they make a product thats basically round plastic mirror. meant to be put on the floor directly under your snare. it suposed to greatly increse your snare drums projection. its the smae concept on the other end of the spectrum.

mute

on a similar note, i knew a drummer that had put a towel on top of his snare head (a thin head that was actually clamped down by the ring) in order to dampen it for church gigs. anyone seen or tried this?

Preston

I'm always a little surprised at the number of drummers that are always trying to muffle or dampen their drums. I do the opposite. I muffle nothing at all EVER! A very little muffling on my bass drums is the only exception. Even when recording.
I also don't like taking the front heads off the bass drum or the bottom heads off the toms. A lot of drummers are trying to duplicate the big sound that John Bonham had and then they muffle everything and wonder why they can't get their drums to sound BIG! Same thing with snare buzz. That sympathetic buzzing when you strike a tom or play the bass drum. I WANT THAT BUZZ!!! If I don't get it, I tune the snare until I do! When it buzzes too much during a soft passage from other instruments, I turn of the snares with the strainer. Otherwise, in the audience, no one can hear the buzz when the whole band is playing. All you do is choke up the drum and prevent it from projecting. As far as I'm concerned muffled drums sound like crap. No musical sound whatsoever. Why spend thousands of dollars on good quality drums, then kill their sound with muffling? You might as well go to your local supermarket dumpster and dig out some cardboard boxes to play on. They'll sound as good as your muffled drums! May be even better. I've never put a blanket or pillow in my bass drums and never will. I think drummers of today forget (or never knew) what a drum is supposed to sound like.

I agree with the poster above, that said good playing technique and skill is the answer to dynamics (volume). Just my opinion after playing pro for 47 years in all genres of music. I've recorded over two dozen hit recordings that hit the top 40 Billboard charts over the years, so I know recording too. Of course, a lot of this is personal taste and preference. But this is my take on the subject. I've been quite succesfull with my career doing it the way I just described.

Preston Ritter
www.myspace.com/drumming_man

Bigd11

gah im sorry but i really cant see of a reason why someone would dampen there snare in a live show scenario!
the ring of a snare is one of the most beautiful things in the world
same with toms, drums were meant to sing and it really makes me sad to see a beautiful drum kit with moon gel's or gaffter tape (duct tape for the americans) ruining the sound, u dont see guitarests taping up there strings or blocking ther pick ups.

in a recording situation fair do's cos the ring will come across a hell of alot and it needs to be controlled but it seems that most drummers seem to think that if they can hear ring 1 foot away from the drum when playing that must mean everyone else can hear it so they dampen there drums to shit and it just sounds god awful