touring

imjeffcanudigit

This isn't really a drum topic but more a band topic and i was wondering where i could get information about how tours are ran not meaning just a tour that a couple bands put together but an actually tour; but yea just information on how on touring is. Thanks in advance for any info.

dave lynch

OMG there's so much to it...It depends on the venues all the way to where you're goin....I can say this...Be methodical..it takes alot of effort to understand folks emotions...Someone can be pissed about one thing while the next person is real happy about another..It's a real team effort and you need to be tuff and hang in there..That's the only way you'll survive..you all need to hold each other up until it's over..This my friend is soooo important..You're a team until the Fat Lady Sings...Remember That !!

Rockula!

Touring sucks
However
You fondly remember the sucktitude
I even have good memories from the most miserable tour I ever did
I'd much rather starve, freeze, and sleep on floors than work a day job

Brother_Bong

Rockula!":2r197661 said:
Touring sucks
However
You fondly remember the sucktitude
I even have good memories from the most miserable tour I ever did
I'd much rather starve, freeze, and sleep on floors than work a day job
I agree, but I finally gave up and got the day job. Now I look at my co-workers and say "I gave up being a rock star for this?" "Fucking BRILLIANT!"

imjeffcanudigit

Potatoe Snack":1x1s12hs said:
are you trying to book the tour yourself or looking for a booking agent to book it for you?
well i was just wondering about how touring is in general but touring invovlving booking agents was what i was interested in learning more about

imjeffcanudigit

dave lynch":tsk76u6f said:
OMG there's so much to it...It depends on the venues all the way to where you're goin....I can say this...Be methodical..it takes alot of effort to understand folks emotions...Someone can be pissed about one thing while the next person is real happy about another..It's a real team effort and you need to be tuff and hang in there..That's the only way you'll survive..you all need to hold each other up until it's over..This my friend is soooo important..You're a team until the Fat Lady Sings...Remember That !!
I never really looked at it like that, i can definatly see what your sayin though

SmellsLikeIan

An independent "booking agent" will usually not get you enough gigs to justify calling what you are doing a "tour". Unless you call playing 3 days a week touring. Usually it takes label support and a management team that knows what they are doing. What I've actually found is that a couple of the independent "booking agencies" have gotten us gigs at places that weren't worth our time. Usually these are the lowest paying, least accommodating venues that want you to provide P.A. and play for twice as long as usual for 60 drunk 40 year olds who treat you like a live jukebox ("Play some Skynrd!!!!!"). All the good places we play, we book ourselves. But we just talked to a new agent, so maybe we can pick up one or two good venues from her. That's what you have to do when working without label support. Get 2 or 3 booking agents, figure out what venues they book for that you like (usually an agent will book for 15 or so clubs and less than half of them will be worth it) and weed out the shitty dives. Add to that the clubs you've been booking yourself in, and your band should be able to keep a pretty full schedule.

PDP9000

touring is the best thing in the music word. I have toured with my ld
band about 7 times and we went from L.A. to in the middle of the USA. it
hella fun.

Rockula!

I know several bands that do entire tours through My Space contacts
Yeah, hese people may be a bit small time but your chances of making money are just as good/bad
All of this talk about management ad booking agents is all fine and well
That is, as long as you already have an established name
A large percentage of bands do not have that luxury

Independant bookings are scary as hell
You have no idea if this person is a wannabe or not
However
I have had the same amount of financial success with indies than with people who have a name behind them
Either way, there's nothing you can do if you get screwed
The indie may be small time but what are you going to do about it when an established place rips you off?

Since you are asking the question, I am assuming that you are new at this
The only way you are going to get the skills to succeed is if you hang your ass out there and do it yourself first
You are going to starve and suffer
It will cost you your own money
You will not beable to keep a steady job
It will destroy your vehicle
However, you will either come out the other side wiser and more sucessful or you will give up and sell your shit

Lastly
No label is going to sink money into your band if you have not shown that you can handle the hardships of touring on your own dime
I quit my last band because of this
They can't seem to understand why no one wants to sign them
After all, people are constantly telling them how great their music is ("You guys are as good as TOOL!", and they are)
However, touring does not mean a weekend in Wisconsin

Rockula!

Also remember the code (before Vegas took it)
What happens on the road stays on the road (unless it is 20 years later and you're being interviewed for the book)

GeorgeDemise

If you're booking it yourself make sure you have some kind of contract with food, money and a place to stay on it. Myspace is actually a really good place to book tours however gay it sounds, as pretty much everyone has a myspace.