Tool is talked about all the time...

Dale

"Tool is talked about all the time... "

Yeah I know. Don't you guys listen to different music? It's like one drummer going on and on and on and on about the same damned thing. Where are the individuals?

Daney Carey this.

Neil Peart that.

Mike Portnoy this other thing.

Who's better, Mike Portnoy, Daney Carey or Neil Peart?

What about this guy who's made one album and now I think he's the greatest thing since white sliced bread? Even though I've only eaten the one kind of bread, I still think it's better than multigrain or that rye crap. Rye is uncool.

Christ Almighty. Drummers, listen. There's more than 5 bands on the planet. And that crap is getting old fast.

Sorry about this, but for crying out loud mention someone else.

You'll all be posting photos of Neil Peart's excrement soon and discussing how it differs from Daney Carey's. Then the vego's'll chime in and accuse Neil Peart of wholesale cow slaughter or something.

It's just so boring and one dimensional.

automaster31

Dale":19g3exmy said:

Yeah I know. Don't you guys listen to different music? It's like one drummer going on and on and on and on about the same damned thing. Where are the individuals?

Daney Carey this.

Neil Peart that.

What about this guy who's made one album and now I think he's the greatest thing since white sliced bread? Even though I've only eaten the one kind of bread, I still think it's better than multigrain or that rye crap. Rye is uncool.

Christ Almighty. Drummers, listen. There's more than 5 bands on the planet. And that crap is getting old fast.

You'll all be posting photos of Neil Peart's excrement soon and discussing how it differs from Daney Carey's. Then the vego's'll chime in and accuse Neil Peart of wholesale cow slaughter or something.

I do listen to other music, but I found these two covers and I want to do this song w/ the band I'm in. Staind, shinedown, foo fighters, and other bands similar to them are my favs.

Dale

This isn't about your thread so much, just the overdose of this recurring nightmare where there exist but 5 or 6 drummers on the planet.

Don't worry about me. I'm just old and crabby. ;)

LuckilyHeDied

Dale":4aeb1hd3 said:

Daney Carey this.

Neil Peart that.

Rush, Dream Theater, and Tool are NOT one dimensional. Have you listened to them?

I listen to many many many many different types of music and drummers and Neil, Mike, and Danny are still consistently my favorites. Because I like them. I think they're great.

If you don't like Danny Carey why did you come in here to shit on everyone who does?

For the record, Staind's cover is AWFUL. Did they tune to drop Z or something?

chachaman02

Tool is a good band and all, but any one who likes tool should listen to cynic. they have the same kind of progressive sound but 10 times more! Tool is talked about way too much!

zen_drummer

LuckilyHeDied":iin2wtmy said:
Rush, Dream Theater, and Tool are NOT one dimensional. Have you listened to them?
Nope they are not, and Dale didn't say they were....

He was commenting that obsessing about them as though no other drummers on the planet matter is one dimensional.

I think they are GREAT bands, SO great that I spend about 5% of my listening time on them... the other 95% of the time I'm listening to music I've never heard before hoping to find new ideas and directions which I can explore further.

I listen to many many many many different types of music and drummers and Neil, Mike, and Danny are still consistently my favorites. Because I like them. I think they're great.
Who is your favorite Jazz drummer from the last 5 years?

Who is your favorite Salsa Drummer?

Who is your favorite Ska Drummer, and Reggae drummer as well?

Who's style do you admire more as a percussionist, Tito Puente or Airto?

What's your favorite Tom Waits song?

If it takes you longer than a minute IN TOTAL to answer those questions, then you should probably do more listening to a wider range of music.

If you don't like Danny Carey why did you come in here to shit on everyone who does?
It's one thing to LIKE Danny Carey, it's another thing to focus all of your attention on his work as though the other 200 million drummers on the planet have nothing to offer! It didn't look to me like Dale was "shitting" on people for admiring Daney Carey. It looked like he was trying to expand peoples horizons so you (or we, as the case may be) can ALL become better and more rounded musicians, not just drum gear heads.

LuckilyHeDied

All I was trying to do was defend this thread. It was innocent enough.

Just because I don't particularly like salsa/reggae/ska doesn't mean my tastes are limited.

And about the percussionists, I know both of them, but have only heard Airto and he was playing drumset. I'm not a percussionist so I haven't been exposed as much to that style.

How many well-known jazz guys can you name out of the last five years? The only younger guy I can think of is Bill Stewart and he's been around a while.

I didn't come in here to boast about how wide my tastes are. I'm sure your tastes are far more refined. I saw someone attacking a perfectly innocent thread about some Tool covers and this guy goes apeshit about the progressive drummers' fans. Forgive me. I could understand if this was a thread about great drummers and four or five guys kept going on about how much Neil could own Thomas Lang or how much faster Portnoy is than Donati or how Danny Carey's parts are more intricate blah blah blah. That gets on my nerves too. But this thread wasn't that.

PatternsInTheIvy

I just dont think it sounds very good acoustic personally. I also dont think TOOL is a very easy band to cover or imitate. Its not as easy as just taking a song and making it acoustic. Also, as many of you have probally guessed by now, I dont like Stain'd. But I dont have to just to have a viable opinion.

LuckilyHeDied

zen_drummer":5gj35rkr said:
I forgot about this question in my first response.

I can't name any because I don't own any of his albums (musician - low on funds - you understand) but my friend is a big Tom Waits fan, and everything I've heard, I love. My first introduction to it was in the Primus song "Tommy the Cat." (speaking of great drummers - Tim Alexander).

automaster31

Didnt want this to turn into a war, guys. My band is thinking about doing sober, and I was wondering which cover version is preferred by the masses. Also, can you suggest some stuff that you want to see a band do?

-Brad
Splitting Image

sp4zium

LuckilyHeDied":3qdbk4mp said:
zen_drummer":3qdbk4mp said:
I forgot about this question in my first response.

I can't name any because I don't own any of his albums (musician - low on funds - you understand) but my friend is a big Tom Waits fan, and everything I've heard, I love. My first introduction to it was in the Primus song "Tommy the Cat." (speaking of great drummers - Tim Alexander).
wooo-hoo! finally somebody else who knows of tim alexander's existance :D about time. I like Tool's version the best simply cuz they came up with it in the first place. 'Tis a lot easier to cover a song that come up with a new one... so major props to Tool and Danny. and actually, where im from, most people haven't heard of tool... which is somewhat depressing. So i can safely say that Danny Carry isn't over-rated where im from ^.^ over here... everybody wants to have either joey Jordisson or Travis Barker's babies. Btw, who is Tom Waits?

jbreshears

Damn, after reading all the other stuff i forgot the orginal question. I kinda don't like either one. But if i had to choose i would say staind.

LuckilyHeDied

sp4zium":212fnaig said:
wooo-hoo! finally somebody else who knows of tim alexander's existance :D about time. I like Tool's version the best simply cuz they came up with it in the first place. 'Tis a lot easier to cover a song that come up with a new one... so major props to Tool and Danny. and actually, where im from, most people haven't heard of tool... which is somewhat depressing. So i can safely say that Danny Carry isn't over-rated where im from ^.^ over here... everybody wants to have either joey Jordisson or Travis Barker's babies. Btw, who is Tom Waits?
Yeah, most young drummers I know want to be Travis Barker.

Tim Alexander is EASILY in my top 10 favorite drummers ever. I like Brian Mantia too, but Tim is Primus's drummer if you ask me. His work on "Pork Soda" and "Tales From the Punchbowl" is brilliant.

zen_drummer

sp4zium":2kw1ytuh said:
Btw, who is Tom Waits?
Did you really just ask that question?

Tom Waits is one of the most influential singer/songwriters of our time... He has acted or had songs in 54 movies, Recorded 32 Albums including 7 Compilations, Contributed to another 28 albums, and has been the subject of at least 15 tribute albums that I know of.

He has won 2 grammy awards and has written the soundtracks for several hollywood films.

He wrote songs for Springsteen, The Eagles, Rod Stewart, and a raft of others.

If you're not familiar with his music, please do take the time to get to know the incredibly eclectic body of work of this international superstar.

sp4zium

zen_drummer":1o0m9730 said:

sp4zium":1o0m9730 said:
Btw, who is Tom Waits?

Tom Waits is one of the most influential singer/songwriters of our time... He has acted or had songs in 54 movies, Recorded 32 Albums including 7 Compilations, Contributed to another 28 albums, and has been the subject of at least 15 tribute albums that I know of.

He has won 2 grammy awards and has written the soundtracks for several hollywood films.

If you're not familiar with his music, please do take the time to get to know the incredibly eclectic body of work of this international superstar.
nope, can't say i've heard of him... but then again, im not a big fan of the eagles, rod stewart, or even bruce springstein... to each his own opinion i guess :?

Spydr2000

I hear very little about Mike Mangini on here... I guess some of you never seen him. His you tube videos do him no justice, they seem to lack quality and miss alot of detail.

I personally like drummers like Tommy Lee, and Alex VanHalen, These guys play some kool fills and come up with some great grooves in songs.

LuckilyHeDied

Spydr2000":2q7r221i said:
I hear very little about Mike Mangini on here... I guess some of you never seen him. His you tube videos do him no justice, they seem to lack quality and miss alot of detail.

I personally like drummers like Tommy Lee, and Alex VanHalen, These guys play some kool fills and come up with some great grooves in songs.
Mangini is nothing short of brilliant. I love him. First drum solo I ever saw live, and possibly the most amazing.

Alex Van Halen used to be awesome. Too bad Van Halen's a joke now.

Johnny Cat

zen_drummer":2ex5b5w0 said:

sp4zium":2ex5b5w0 said:
Btw, who is Tom Waits?

I love Tom Waits

He's a damn fine actor too, most notably his BRILLIANT performance as Renfield in Bram Stoker's "Dracula". :)