took new pictures of the gretsch.

Rob Crisp

Ruddy, you know I love your kit! I have an 18" thin Avedis crash that has a crack in a similar place. :p

rundylanrunn

thanks! i have no idea how fast i can go with my pedals, i mostly use them for accents rather than extended passages.

the SK2 sounds killer with this kit, it works well with the mahogany.

and yeah, i see the avedis series crack on the lathing quite a bit. that cymbal was already cracked a pretty good amount when i bought it for $5 and i've used it for like 4 months. so i got my money's worth at least!

xdoseonex

What kinda wood is that set really made of. For the price i have trouble believeng its real mahagony

Vanden

Isnt that stick holder in a really awkward place? Or is it just the angle?

How are the Pork Pie thrones?

Rob Crisp

Vanden":2z2tltvw said:

I have a stick holder in the same place Van, tell you what, it's a life saver should you throw away a stick ;-)

Vanden

Rob Crisp":ziecektd said:
Vanden":ziecektd said:

I have a stick holder in the same place Van, tell you what, it's a life saver should you throw away a stick ;-)
Yeah, I just took a second look from behind the kit, and it looks a lot easier that having it clamped to the hi hat stand.

xdoseonex

Vanden":pbusu2ui said:

it actually looks like its in a perfect place to me

rundylanrunn

yeah it must be the angle. i have one on my hi hat stand to, i just didn't have any sticks in it while i took the pictures.

as far as the wood goes, i'm not sure. the insides of the drum aren't any shade of red, but i'm not a wood expert or anything so i don't know about that. i'm pretty sure the snare has at least 2 of the plys that are a different type of wood, but the snare is the only thing about this kit that i'm not satisfied with. the toms and kick have a deep, nice tone.

okjohne

Hell yea!! I've seen that set up at my local GC. Ever tried a more open head? Clear Pins have a little more ring and coated emperors even more. Both are less dough then the Evans.

rundylanrunn

yeah, i've tried both the pinstripe and the emperors on this kit, but i like the tone that the coated ec2's produce more. despite being mahogany, the toms have quite a bit of sustain to them, despite what i heard about the kit before buying it. so (in my opinion), the ecs2 dry out the tone just the right amount without taking all the life out of the drums.

anavrinIV

I guess I'm the only one who will honestly say that there isn't a thing about that setup I like.

dose, they're philippine mahogany, the same as swingstars used to be made of. not a bad sound at all, but not at all on the level of maple, birch, oak, real mahogany, bubinga, etc...

Steaky

anavrinIV":2iaw86xb said:
I guess I'm the only one who will honestly say that there isn't a thing about that setup I like.

dose, they're philippine mahogany, the same as swingstars used to be made of. not a bad sound at all, but not at all on the level of maple, birch, oak, real mahogany, bubinga, etc...
Wood snob alert! Stop panicking over the bloody wood. Who frigging cares? It's a sweet looking kit. They're not expensive kit's, but I was sure impressed when I played one a few months back. The kit had real character which is rare in it's price range. I believe Gretsch have done good with these kit's, and I believe I could definitely make a valid musical statement sat behind one. And c'mon that isnt a bad finish is it?

Be proud of your kit, your doing alright.

xdoseonex

Steaky":1gltl3qp said:
anavrinIV":1gltl3qp said:

Wood snob alert! Stop panicking over the bloody wood. Who frigging cares? It's a sweet looking kit. They're not expensive kit's, but I was sure impressed when I played one a few months back. The kit had real character which is rare in it's price range. I believe Gretsch have done good with these kit's, and I believe I could definitely make a valid musical statement sat behind one. And c'mon that isnt a bad finish is it?

Be proud of your kit, your doing alright.
actually, I asked what the wood was