Too hard on yourself and your drumming?

vahnn

I tend to think i suck. After i play a show, i constantly think of all things i could have done better throughout the performance. Even when i know i'm hitting every note and throwing some killer grooves and awesome ass fills, after the set... i just always feel like i could have done something better.

i consider myself to be very unoriginal and lacking in the creativity department.

but that's not what other people tell me. i'm wanted in bands, people ask me how i do "that sick shit" often enough that i should think i'm actually decent, but i still seem to think negatively of my drumming.

i don't have self-esteem issues in my normal life. this only concerns drumming. is this normal for anyone else?!

iatemygoat

definately. i used to think this all of the time. its definately gotten better for me though. now instead of thinking of every little mistake, ive learned that a lot of people dont recognize any of my mistakes so ill mainly just remember THE BIG ONES.

it will most likely get better with time. it did for me.

drumschick07

iatemygoat":ypi1awop said:
definately. i used to think this all of the time. its definately gotten better for me though. now instead of thinking of every little mistake, ive learned that a lot of people dont recognize any of my mistakes so ill mainly just remember THE BIG ONES.

Same with me. I would mess up and be so hard on myself. Then I realized no one even noticed (unless they were drummers). I would always ask my brother "did you see how much I messed up??" And he would never know because he didn't play.

I think its sometimes good to be hard on yourself because it makes you better. I usually practice more if I think I suck.

killdrum1983

yeah same here. We played a show this saturday with my band and i was really happy cause it was the first in front of a lot of people and they liked it but i couldn't stop thinking at my mistakes. I looked at my lead guitar player who's really excellent and he told me "you were fucking great you only play for more than one year!!!!!" lol

So i guess it's just me (us) cause even when i was learning guitar i used to think the same things... i think it's good because we can focus on what's good and what's not and improve, evolve...

ddrumbum

vahnn":2r3qkdhv said:
I tend to think i suck. After i play a show, i constantly think of all things i could have done better throughout the performance. Even when i know i'm hitting every note and throwing some killer grooves and awesome ass fills, after the set... i just always feel like i could have done something better.

i consider myself to be very unoriginal and lacking in the creativity department.

but that's not what other people tell me. i'm wanted in bands, people ask me how i do "that sick shit" often enough that i should think i'm actually decent, but i still seem to think negatively of my drumming.

i don't have self-esteem issues in my normal life. this only concerns drumming. is this normal for anyone else?!
Dude I am so the same way, I constantly ridicule my playing, and I get told constantly that I am an amazing drummer, I am in 4 bands and am still wanted, so I must be doing something right.

So I thought about and I think I do that to myself to make myself better and to continually push myself to the next level in my playing, anyway there ya have it.

ShermantheTank

I love how self critical I am. I screw up a ton, and that just pushes me to practice more and more and more.

Granted, sometimes it's hard to keep a grib with reality. I look so much at my mistakes, that the only times I notice improvement is when I make massive ones.

But yea, I think being self-critical is essential to being a musician. If you think you're doing everything perfect, then there's no reason to improve.

ddrumbum

ShermantheTank":15ck300b said:
I love how self critical I am. I screw up a ton, and that just pushes me to practice more and more and more.

Granted, sometimes it's hard to keep a grib with reality. I look so much at my mistakes, that the only times I notice improvement is when I make massive ones.

But yea, I think being self-critical is essential to being a musician. If you think you're doing everything perfect, then there's no reason to improve.
Excellant point

drum man

I do that all the time, and it pisses me off.
What I do is just think and say "no ones perfect" not even the "best" they can't be "perfect"
Just dont let it get you down, and if you do make a mistake move forward and fix the probolme.

iatemygoat

drumschick07":137ac6k7 said:
iatemygoat":137ac6k7 said:

Same with me. I would mess up and be so hard on myself. Then I realized no one even noticed (unless they were drummers). I would always ask my brother "did you see how much I messed up??" And he would never know because he didn't play.

I think its sometimes good to be hard on yourself because it makes you better. I usually practice more if I think I suck.
i always tend to practice emediately after shows i go to that have an amazing drummer at it. i think, "man i wish i could do some of the stuff he could do" and then i try and learn some of that stuff. this past year ive learned a lot that way.

stump

The people hearing what we play hear it alot different that how we feel that we played a set. We are our own worst critics. I notice that when recording practice sessions that I sometimes feel like something is total crap but when I go back and listen it's fine. Being critical about our playing helps make us better. But never forget to have a blast doing it.

PatternsInTheIvy

vahnn":3ir5ho53 said:

Well it depends. What do you care more about, the people who will hopefully one day pay your bills, or the sneering few musicians who think you're crap. If it's a self esteem issue then I say good, at least you have something driving you to get better.

BillRayDrums

Don't post-mortem your gigs in a negative light unless you have a recording to base your opinions upon.

Besides, when you start to think you suck, it's because you are growing and getting better. Ignorance is bliss, and if you are completely happy with your playing, you have stopped growing. Your ears are becoming more attuned to what "needs to be there" and now your technique has to catch up.

You aren't backsliding, you are merely taking a few steps back to get a running start.