Tony Royster Jr: then and now

anojeezick

He is really amazing. But I think that if you have access to a set like that from an early age, it is defintely easier to become better faster. At least that is what I think. If I had gotten a drumset when I was really young, not to mention such an amazing one, I would be alot better than I am now. He still blows minds though. No doubt.

dwtoast72

Props to him for his amazing skills, but thinking about what you guys are saying (not trying to be argumentative) he seems to have been bred a drummer; know what I mean?? It doesn't seem like he naturally enhanced his talents or had the option to persue anything else, musically. His state of mind at this point is probably more like "the ball is rolling, might as well follow it."

Rob Crisp

dwtoast72":173pirbn said:
Props to him for his amazing skills, but thinking about what you guys are saying (not trying to be argumentative) he seems to have been bred a drummer; know what I mean?? It doesn't seem like he naturally enhanced his talents or had the option to persue anything else, musically. His state of mind at this point is probably more like "the ball is rolling, might as well follow it."
I agree with you. Undoubtedly amazing drummer, but look at how oild he is in the first video. It takes so much practice to get that good.

I doubt he had much of a childhood outside drumming. While the other kids were hanging from trees and playing sports, he was probably inside mastering tripple paradiddles blindfolded.

dwtoast72

Rob Crisp":38u08q5v said:
dwtoast72":38u08q5v said:
I agree with you. Undoubtedly amazing drummer, but look at how oild he is in the first video. It takes so much practice to get that good.

I doubt he had much of a childhood outside drumming. While the other kids were hanging from trees and playing sports, he was probably inside mastering tripple paradiddles blindfolded.
.............on a 1976 Quarter!!!!!!! lol

wes_125

Question - did Tony just start incorporating double pedal in the past year or so? I never saw a video of him using double pedal until his most recent Vic Firth podcast.

He really is amazing though... He plays in a Band in Atlanta now called Lazyeye... The band is decent, hard rock kinda stuff... But seriously what makes that band is Tony... He's SOO Sick at everything he does, and the band just lets it all flow from him... In the middle of their set they all walk off the stage for Tony's 10 min Drum solo... I was torn... I didn't know rather to go home and practice until my fingers bled, or just quit drums all together... He was simply amazing live...

progressiveman

anojeezick":ub4gfyns said:
He is really amazing. But I think that if you have access to a set like that from an early age, it is defintely easier to become better faster. At least that is what I think. If I had gotten a drumset when I was really young, not to mention such an amazing one, I would be alot better than I am now. He still blows minds though. No doubt.
Yeah, I'm agree... But not only is the drum set, but also his teachers back then.

dwtoast72

wes_125":1l1j1kxd said:
Question - did Tony just start incorporating double pedal in the past year or so? I never saw a video of him using double pedal until his most recent Vic Firth podcast.
no, he's been doing it for years, he had a dw dubkik kit at his clinic in MyrtBeach 2002

phil-drummer

one of the best solos i have seen online/ ever was definatly tony royster jr. playing a solo at the age of twelve, it was so fun to try n copy his playin. god damn drum prodigy :) , hes the only drummer i know who ive ever said " hes too good at drums "