Tom Tuning

Ludwig24

I have been trying to correctly tune my toms for a few weeks now and I can't seem to get them to sound right. I have Remo Pinstripes on them and I have 12" 13" and 16" Toms (even though I usually play a 4 piece with the 13" taken off). If I don't tighten them a lot then there are way too much overtones and if I tighten them to where there are no overtones it's more of a poingy sound than what it's supposed to be. Any advice or help here would be great. Thanks!

GypoDrummer

although i dont normally get heaps of new skins. i can say when tuning you should aim higher than wat you want... then work your way down...

SGarrett

Get the tension rods finger tight, then go in a star pattern giving each one a half turn, then again, and then check the tone. From there you either go up or down and then try to get each tension rod the same tension. Tap on the head about 1" in front of each tension rod and adjust up or down as needed. When you hear a tone that "sings" you've found where the drum wants to be. If you tap between two different tension rods and hear a wobbling sound in the tone you have uneven tension. Same with a center hit.

Then there's the resonant heads to consider. You can tune them the same as the batter heads for a full round sound, tune them a little higher or lower for a pitch bend. Tuning the resonant head lower gives you low note first and them a higher note and tends to cut resonance a little and vice versa for tuning the resonant higher.

BillRayDrums

SGarrett":2vlk76j4 said:
Get the tension rods finger tight, then go in a star pattern giving each one a half turn, then again, and then check the tone. From there you either go up or down and then try to get each tension rod the same tension. Tap on the head about 1" in front of each tension rod and adjust up or down as needed. When you hear a tone that "sings" you've found where the drum wants to be. If you tap between two different tension rods and hear a wobbling sound in the tone you have uneven tension. Same with a center hit.

Then there's the resonant heads to consider. You can tune them the same as the batter heads for a full round sound, tune them a little higher or lower for a pitch bend. Tuning the resonant head lower gives you low note first and them a higher note and tends to cut resonance a little and vice versa for tuning the resonant higher.
What he said.

Brother_Bong

Yup, well put, and remember as with all tuning (same with guitar) make sure to always tune up. What I mean by that, if you are tuning down, go past what you want, and tune back up to it. This keeps positive tension on the lug (or tuning peg).