tom positioning

Shalaq

There are no rules exept to position them so that they're comfortable to reach and play on.

craigyp

Yeah it's all down to ease of playing - personally i love flat toms - i can put so much more oooomph into them!

angled toms are just awkward for me. :?

zen_drummer

cigarettetrio":3vhoiwgn said:
does this really matter or is it personal preference?
whether you have your tom facing upwards flat, or bent towards you?
It's hard as hell to do a rimshot on a tom that is tilted too much. I don't play them completely flat, but they are pretty close to it. Ya get more "oooooomph" out of 'em when you can hit 'em good and square.

NT

i dont understand how you can properly play on angled toms.. no rimshots.. no rebound... i mean you have to have a little bit of angle.. but im talking those with an extreme angle.. like those "old school metal" kits..

XIxPxGX

its all personal preference i personally have my rack tom almost flat and about the same height as my snare drum but i angled my floor tom cuase its easier for me but its all personal preference the way you have your drums angled i personal dont like having an angled snare when i see alot of people with it angled

Stimpy

i personally prefer to have angled toms. i guess im one of those "old skool metal kids" lol. i dot have them to an extreme angle, just like a 45 degree angle. i dont angle my snare or floor tom too much, like almost not at all. the only reason i angle the rack toms is because of the height i guess. i dunno i have just grown up playing like this really.

anavrinIV

i have my rack toms angled more than i would like to but because of the depth i cant do much about it. i need to have the rims low at the bottom and i cant do it with an 11" deep tom the way i would like to. i hate perfectly flat toms because its work for me to play them and i dont want to have to work to play my drums.

dave lynch

Funny but I don't rim shot my racks so much but I do on my 14" floor during build ups and stuff..Does hitting the rim on racks do someting cool that I'm not aware of ? I've always tried to hit them in the middle with a nice snap so not to choke them and get that nice powerful crack with that sweet tone to follow...How ever you can get that is how you should angle your tom/s in my opinion !!

Pnkdrmmr

I found once that putting my toms flatter made them tune better and stay in tune for longer, that was with rim mounting system though. I'm not sure if that has much bearing on a kit with a lug mounting system or shell mounting.

I just got a new kit and i've set my rack tom pretty close to flat and t sounds great. It also makes it easier to play.

craigo78239

Two dynamics figure into tom positioning:
Avoiding too steep an angle where the stick damages or punctures the head. and -
Distance between the toms which must be close enough to move around them smoothly and rapidly without them knocking together.

I play on Remo ambassadors so they are thin enough that a 3b stick could perforate them easily. I angle my toms down enough so I don't hit rim (unless I intend to) and I try to plane my rack toms and floor toms in a like manner for consistancy and smooth movement.

My seperation is approximately a half to 3/4 inches apart. I angle my snare just a smidge as well which opens alot of options as to style and tone variations from song to song.

quikstang2

It's really personal preference with some consideration for the specific drums you have. I like to play my shallow tom vintage set almost completely flat, but my deep tom sets have a good amount of angle on them.

NT":2h7r8ags said:
i dont understand how you can properly play on angled toms.. no rimshots.. no rebound... i mean you have to have a little bit of angle.. but im talking those with an extreme angle.. like those "old school metal" kits..
The "old school metal" guys play the toms really angled because the depths and diameters of the rack toms are bigger and you can't play them all that flat unless you get 20" or 18" bass drums, which isn't "old school metal". Something else that isn't "old school metal", or metal at all, is rim shots on the toms. I go out of my way to make sure it's not possible to rim shot on my toms, which sometimes gets annoying not having memory locks on my floor tom legs because I play them flat. Accidental rim shots on floor toms have led to many bruised and bloodied knuckles.
As for rebound on angled toms, I get plenty of it.

Pnkdrmmr":2h7r8ags said:
I found once that putting my toms flatter made them tune better and stay in tune for longer, that was with rim mounting system though. I'm not sure if that has much bearing on a kit with a lug mounting system or shell mounting.

I just got a new kit and i've set my rack tom pretty close to flat and t sounds great. It also makes it easier to play.
I've also noticed with my Tama Starcast system that having them angled a lot makes them fall out of tune much faster, especially compared to the Mapex ITS that I used to have.

brandon8robinson

I can't see how somebody can have their tom as flat as their snare, unless the toms are very low, but it's all about preference it pisses me off when people tell you how to do your drums, cause the girrafe ate ice cream on the first sunday of january

aztec1

It took me a few months to find a setup that is really comfortable, but I'm a beginner (and 6' ++) so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. I ended up having to get a snare stand to put my small tom on... That's why I think it's totally personal preference. After all this customization and positioning, I bet it would be really hard to sit behind another set easily.

My toms are as close as possible to my snare and nearly at the same level, only slightly angled. I like.