tom playing a chord?

Llama_Dude

my 12" tom is playing 2 different notes for some reason and is playing a chord when I hit it. I don't know what to do. I've tried retuning and every thing. What to DO?

BillRayDrums

Sounds like your bottom head is too tight. Or, your top head is and the bottom head is too loose.

The thing about drums is they usually don't produce a solid tone. I mean, you kinda want a little dissonance in there, as it helps cut through. I don't like a drum that sounds like a sine wave. I like a little growl in there.

dannydrumperc

Llama_Dude":3r32rrea said:
my 12" tom is playing 2 different notes for some reason and is playing a chord when I hit it. I don't know what to do. I've tried retuning and every thing. What to DO?
Chords are composed of 3 or more notes, so your drum can't play a chord. But both drumheads on your tom vibrate to their unique frequencies (note), and both frequencies are perceptible to the ear.

Some frequencies don't get along with others, creating dissonance. That could be your problem. Tune each head separately, muffling the other head with your drum throne, pillow, lap, etc. I try to keep my resonant head about a third over the batter (C – E interval, for example), although I’ve been trying to have them to the same pitch lately.

Also, maybe your drum is already asking for heads change…

Llama_Dude

Thanks Guys. I actually knew that a chord was 3 or more notes. I play guitar also and I was thinking 5ths or Barr Chords. I'm gonna get new heads to see if that will solve the problem.