To those with experience when it comes to brushes and rakes.

Lancelot Frosty

Is there a difference between the two?
I mean, in general? Like how you use them and all?
I know brushes are usually metal, while rakes are nylon.
Any other differences?

skitch

They both are basically used the same way. I prefer brushes and I do own a pair of Jazz Rakes but I can't seem to recall where they are located at right now.[/list]

Airborne Ranger

Brushes are usually metal but I also have a pair of Regal Tip Ultraflex nylon brushes. I've owned a pair of Firth Rakes and honestly, I don't know why I bought them. I never liked the feel of them or the sound. I use brushes a lot on gigs and it's always the metal or nylon traditional models. Get yourself a pair of wire brushes and use them, there is a real art to playing brushes well. Listen to Jeff Hamilton, Clayton Cameron or Joe Morello (along with many other brush greats) and witness the real artistry to playing brushes.

Lancelot Frosty

Thanks, Airborne Ranger.
I've been wanting a pair of brushes, even though I'm not too sure how to use them just yet.
I listen to a lot of Dave Brubeck, so I have heard a lot of Morello's playing.
Cause of him I want a pair of brushes.
Thing is, they're ridiculously hard to find where I'm from.
I've only seen one pair of VF jazz rakes thus far.
If worse comes to worse, I'll pick the pair up.
Thanks again.

Airborne Ranger

I say absolutely get yourself a pair of brushes. All the big stick manufacturers make great brushes. It does take a while to get the hang of brushes because they respond much differently than sticks and they require a sweeping technique, much different from the way you play now. I've been working through Clayton Cameron's "Brushworks" book/cd which is great. Ed Thigpen has a great book too called 'The Essence of Brushes". I highly reccommend learning to use brushes, I've used them on drums, congas, djembes, even a folded newspaper so they are more versatile than one might think.

break the prism

learning the actual brushing technique was one of the most difficult challenges i've ever faced musically. i had to really study old jazz drummers by watching and listening.

Lancelot Frosty

Yeah, I know it's mainly swishes and stuff.
I'll tell you guys when I get a pair, then I'll tinker with them and try to get a vague idea on the sweeps and stuff.
Thanks again everyone.