To be or Ayotte to be???

Steaky

I was blown away by the Ayotte kit's displayed at Drummerlive this year. Any thoughts, anybody got feedback about them? How durable are they? What are they like to record on? Why don't more people use them?

jaundiced

I had a friend who owned an Ayotte kit. Saw them gigged a couple of times and got to play on them once and they sounded great. I'd have to imagine that the price tag is one reason more people don't play them, because they're certainly not cheap.

ThePloughman

EOTE_drummer":pug7wsm4 said:
Mitchell?":pug7wsm4 said:
I think The Ploughman has a Ayotte kit...
yeah, 1 or 2 or 10
Oh God thats funny.

I have one Ayotte Custom kit. its a four piecer from 1995. Shaded cherry lacquer. 22-12-16, with a 7x14 Piano black Gloss snare drum. These drums are simply flawless, perfect in every detail, you will not buy a nicer kit anywhere for any price. You probably can though, buy other drums with comparable quality for a lot less. But you wont get nicer.

Steaky

I really love sparkly wrapped kit's. I don't know why but I just do. But Ayotte where displaying this laquered kit that just made my Jaw drop to the floor. It was like, how can I put this, animated in some way. It was a type colour shift finish that started deep blue, then as you walked past turned light blue, then turquoise then light green then finally dark green, all with a lovely subtle sparkle beneath it. It made all other kit's in that Expo center look plain boring(and a bit cheap in comparison). I could look at that kit all day every day till the day I croak.

Sound wise the Kit seemed to sound like something I could work with, but it was an Expo in what felt like an Aircraft hangar, and the noise from all those kit's on all those other stands being Blast beated into submission made it impossible to really dive into the sonic quality's of the kit.

Raider05

Ayotte got it's name from building top quality, great sounding drums. Pricey?.....yes, but you get what you pay for. Ray Ayotte sold the company FWIW several years ago, and went to Taye drums, which he has recently left as well. I assume the quality of Ayotte's is as good as when he was there, but have no idea.

boyd_s

My drum teacher has two Ayotte kits that I play on every week for lessons. They are amazing drums. 'Nuff said.

Alan_

they're really nice drums. great shells, great finishes, innovative lug design. quality quality quality. if I had the cash to own a set I probably would, but only after buying that set of Bisons I'm promising myself at some point before I die.

Steaky

Well it sounds promising. Nobody has told of them being expensive for the hell of it unlike say.............DW. This kit was 10, 12, 14, 14snr and 12 snr for £4500.

Alan_

they're handmade small run custom drums. not sure they're worth $4500, but the fact that I don't have that much in burnable cash sitting in my bank account definitely colors that opinion quite a bit.

Call me Gideon

If it's 4500 British money (I don't know how to type the symbol :shock: ) then that's closer to $9000 in US dollars. I don't know that there's ANY drumset worth that kind of money....to me anyways.

Alan_

wow, is that for a new kit? or are is it just because they're rare on that side of the water/

ThePloughman

Its the whole "other side of the Pond thing" shooting the price into the stratosphere. That same kit here in the states would probably be around 5K USD. In Canada maybe slightly cheaper. You pay the import freight, thats the jump in cost.

My kit, .........was a stroke of luck. Pawn shop and about 15 cents on the dollar.

Alcyon

they're made right here in vancouver where i live :) and i would love to have one, although i wouldn't deserve it by any stretch of the imagination.