To all multiple kit owners...

bunnybunny

To all you folks that own more than one drumset, I have a question:

Do you own more than one COMPLETE drumset, or do have more than one "shell pack"??

That is, do you have a HH stand and BD pedal and cymbals and throne and EVERYTHING for EVERY kit you own, or do you have to pirate parts/items from from one kit to the next?

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with all my extra parts, arms, pedals, etc. I have accumulated over the years.

I have my "nice" kit and all its bells and whistles, and I also have a "beater" kit. Right now I could have each kit set up in two different places and never have to "steal" an item from one to make the other one complete.

I'm wondering if having a "complete" kit and a "beater shell pack" is enough.

Your thoughts?

Shalaq

I'd love to have 2 or 3 complete sets. I switch between them whenever I felt like it.
I guess if you gig a lot it's better to have one full set to rehearse and the second full set in cases to travel.

drummert2k

4 complete kits ( i also play a small set up. kick, snare, tom, floor tom, ride hi hats crash) and 3 shell kits. i basically have no life or desire to own anything but drums. plus i only have one kit out as a practice kit at my house, one kit at the place where we practice and my 2 good kits that i use out for shows cased up so all i gotta do for a show is grab the proper cases and go. no tearing stuff down before i leave or setting stuff back up when i get home. it makes everything a lot easier. the kits that i just have drums for (shell kits) get rotated in and out with my one show kit.

dutch

i have 3 completes, one stays in the bands trailer, the other isn't set up at my apartment, and the third (which my friend asked me to hold onto about a year ago) is set up at the practice space, makes playing shows much hassle free (although i steal my axis pedals and roc and soc seat from the trailer)

AndeAir

I have the nice Slingerland 9 peice that i keep at the house for myself, a 5 piece electric that i use to mess around on or travel with. and the 4 piece that i give lessons on or take out to live gigs. only one set of cymbals though. but that's just due to funds. i'd love to have a lot more hardware, just can't afford it though.

Johnny Cat

I have a larger kit that I just break up into different smaller kits, depending on what the job calls for at the time.

The Freq

I have 4 complete kits.. One big kit that I'll break down once in a while for certain gigs , and 3 other kits that are roughly jazz style set ups with single rack and double floors. I just love toys.. :D

DrumminBari

3 shell packs, 1 rack and enough stands to set up all three. I also have more then enough cymbals for all three. The only thing I dont have 3 of is bass drum pedals, because I only need one, Axis longboard.

xSka Stephenx

I own a four piece OCDP and an eight piece Tama that I owned before my OCDP was built. I have many cymbals and lots of hardware, but usually just play my Orange County. I'm currently trying to sell the Tama.

zen_drummer

I've got three complete kits...

I have my Trick Kit (10,12,14,16,22 and snare), with the rack, plus stands if I want to setup a more compact configuration.

I have a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit 8,8,10,12,14,22,and snare) with a rack or I can use the stands from the trick setup

I have a late 70's Gretsch BeBop kit (12,14,18 and snare) that has stands.

I have one cymbal setup that moves from kit to kit in various configurations.

The Heel

Two completes, and then two shell packs. I keep one kit set up to practice(late 70's Slingerland kit), and then the other one for gigging(Birch Premiers). I have a recording kit that moves in(Yamaha Recording Customs) and becomes my practice kit sometimes... and then a Pearl rythm travler kit for accoustic gigs.

Two sets of hardware for a gigging drummer is needed I think. Its too much of a pain in the ass having to tear all your hardware down from your practice kit to gig with.

On that note... I want a new gigging kit. Ash or maple.

ThunderofSukus

The Heel":34j85lqm said:
Two completes, and then two shell packs. I keep one kit set up to practice(late 70's Slingerland kit), and then the other one for gigging(Birch Premiers). I have a recording kit that moves in(Yamaha Recording Customs) and becomes my practice kit sometimes... and then a Pearl rythm travler kit for accoustic gigs.

Two sets of hardware for a gigging drummer is needed I think. Its too much of a pain in the ass having to tear all your hardware down from your practice kit to gig with.

On that note... I want a new gigging kit. Ash or maple.

I agree. I too have an Rt and Bring out my Main Stage kit with it.

Back on topic. I use a mixture of existing hardware along with add-on packs. Just depends on the deal at the time. I have hardware for Practce use as well as live/studio use that I rotate on and off the kits. Some of my hardware doesn't interchange (e.g., Sonor hardware)

I think having as many options at your desposal is more benificial as opposed to over-kill.

drumdug

I just bought a Mapex M-birch 7pc. I still have my Mapex V 7pc. I am working on getting my V set up with all cymbals that I need. The V will be my practice kit and the M-Birch will be my live kit.

bigbossman810

I have three complete kits. One set is at our practice facility, one set up on stage at our regular gig, and a third at home for practice and pick up gigs.

I have two kits. A 7 piece Sonor Force 2001 or 2003 series kit, and a Rockwood 5 piece kit. The Sonor kit is my big kit with everything on it, the rack and all. MY rockwood kit is in shambles, being put through a makeover at the moment, but I do have a separate throne, pedals, and everything for it. I would just need to snag a couple things off the big kit to complete it.