tips for tuning floor toms

brian

i have a pearl export kit and all my drums sound great except my 16" floor tom i have a remo pinstripe on top and a remo diplomat batter on the bottom, any tips on how to get more of a thud sound out of it without using a ring?

Alcyon

Floors don't thud - that's for your bass drum... Floor toms should growl. My advice is take the heads off, put them back on, and tighten them JUST past wrinkling.

Zim

Alcyon":qbdyeoyw said:
Floors don't thud - that's for your bass drum... Floor toms should growl. My advice is take the heads off, put them back on, and tighten them JUST past wrinkling.
thats what i do w/ mine and it sounds DEEP!!!!!!!!

Spydr2000

If your getting sloppy over tones or just bad ringing from the drum it is a tuning issue. This is how I tune mine. I try to control ring with my bottom head somewhat choking it. I tune the bottom around 1 1/4 turns. I do this by putting the head on and lightly pushing down on the hoop and turn the tension rods with your fingers until the hoop is seated to the head. Next I repeat apply a little more presure than I did previously using the key. You should have a good starting point from here, now tune the drum up using 1/4 turns until you reach the 1 1/4 point. Then fine tune each lug from there.

Next on the batter side I tune low. Same as the bottom setting the head. But I might only go a 1/4 turn or tune til the wrinkles are gone. It depends on the drum some I have gotten a great attack off of, some needed a moon gel.

Ok, now you can play around with the sound from here. You can do 1/8 turns on the bottom if needed to see if you can get less overtones. Or drop 1/8 turns to go lower in pitch.

Next thing try an ambassodor on the bottom..

anavrinIV

a floor tom is just another tom and the size of a 16x16 alone will give you a deep sound with the same tuning style as any other tom, at least in my experience.

phoenix7289

Alcyon":i7f0r29c said:
lol
growl

gmsdrummer

make sure your heads are in good shape. If your heads are beat up it wont tune as well to a low tone .best thing I can say is tune the drum to the tone you like and stick a piece of moongel on the batter head .

sp4zium

i typically just tune it loose enough to have a nice deep tone, and tight enough to get some stick rebound off my strokes. but to each his own technique i guess.

I just recently taught myself how to get sound i wanted from my floor toms. Becuz i always had the perfect sound from my rack tom but i couldnt get the same results from my floor toms now i have a 16" and a 18" floor toms. go through your basic way of tuning your drums . Get the each lug to have the same tone you want. now on my top head (batter head) i tighten just enough to get the wrinkles out but when i push on the head i wanna see the wrinkles. NOW what i do becuz your floor toms are obviously deeper then your rack toms i like to tighten the bottom heads just a little tighter then i do my rack toms becuz your floor toms are deeper so there more sound travel between the heads then flip em back over right side up and tune the top until you get either the sound you want of what i like as most drummers do is tune it until its in tune with your rack tom just a deeper note.
Hope it helps but like i said i had the same problem until abot a couple months ago.

xrock79

...u dont want to tighten a floor tom too much as u would a rack tom per-say. in order to get a good thud, i would advise one, using "aqurian performance II" drumheads. they give u the solid thud of an acceptionally muted head without sacrificing the volume u want. and 2, what i usually do when putting on a head is tighten it well first then use my palm in the center to add pressure to stretch the head a bit for optimum sound, then loosen again to almost no rod tension, and start to tune as usual. having it somewhat loose is key for that good floor thud.

TinChimp

Tricky buggers floor toms, every one knows smaller toms are easier to tune, I can get an ace sound out of my 14" x 14" floor tom with out too much effort, but my 16" x 16" can be a nightmare!! I've found that (depending what heads you use, this trick worked well with the coated ambassadors I use, and worked ok with the pinstripes i used to skin my old Premier APK with) getting the head seated evenly on the bearing edge is very important, make sure the edge of the drum shell is clean and free from dust and other clag. put the head on (bottom head first, same process applies to both heads) then lean with the palm of your hand in the middle of the skin, this helps to settle it, put the hoop on next and finger tighten the lugs, corner to corner, next over tighten the head with your drum key, way past where you want it to be (you'll hear some cracking noises but don't worry) this stretches the skin to take out some of the "newness" then slowly loosen off till you get to the desired pitch. this normally gets a nice rounded tone, with plenty of attack, depending on the venue you're playing or how you're recording, moon gel can be a great help with choking all the sound out of the drum.
Cheerz
Tris

www.myspace.com/thevolantes

MasterShake89

Alcyon":28yeilwc said:
this is true. If you get some sloppy overtones or whatnot, you can make your own ghetto solution. I tuned it like that and then just cut a piece of fabric and tapped it to the batter head of the drum. I Added and subtracted small patches of fabric and tape until i got the sound i wanted. :lol: