Tinnitus

phil-drummer

ever since i wastold about this ear disease ive been using earplugs. Do any of you drummers out their suffer from this , ( basicly for all you people who don't know, tinnitus is a perminant ringin in your ear and theirs no cure )
I imagine its the most annoying thing ever.

screamkevin

I posted before in another thread on hearing loss, I've lost over half my hearing in both ears from my 34 years of drumming (along with military service), and I sucks not being able to hear my 4-year old daughter talk to me. Protect your ears, period. You'll regret it if you don't.

Piddywiffle

screamkevin":wkd6fq8i said:
I posted before in another thread on hearing loss, I've lost over half my hearing in both ears from my 34 years of drumming (along with military service), and I sucks not being able to hear my 4-year old daughter talk to me. Protect your ears, period. You'll regret it if you don't.
Ill second that.

i constantly try to get my room mate to wear ear plugs when he jams w/ me. But he is too much the punk rocker I guess :?

Do what Screamkevin says. Drumming wont be fun if your all deaf. Hard to tune :lol:

infiznitch

yea, my hearing isn't so bad, but i did start using earplugs pretty early. I still have a little tinnitus from before i starting wearing plugs when i play (and from going to so many concerts!)

crackheadback

I have always had a little ringing from playing over the years. When practicing I always use plugs, but do not when playing live. About 2 years ago I played live and the sound guy had my monitor up so loud that it made the ringing worse. I had my hearing checked and its fine, but that damn ringing wont stop. I researched this and found that there is no cure for it, but the ringing can be reduced by sleeping with fan on (creating white noise) or by reduucing things in your diet. A reduction in Caffiene intake for example can reduce the symptons. Look it up on WEBMD.com

Gaddabout

Tinnitus brought on by audio injury is bad. It's not just an annoyance. People have committed suicide because of it. It comes with all the emotional baggage of subjective chronic pain (pain that cannot be explained or treated).

wombat_drums

yeah it sucks. ive only got it a little bit. it use to be worse i only notice it if everythings quiet. and doesnt worry me that much anymore but i dont want it any worse than it is. i did a gig the other day and forgot my plugs and regretting it now. always use ear plugs guys i cant stress that enough. Skreamkevin said it better than i have. "and I sucks not being able to hear my 4-year old daughter talk to me." it ruins the more important things in your life and if music is one of those important things. you dont want to lose it due to basic stupidity.

Dee

I tend to wear ear plugs at every rehearsal and gig i play! As they say... Prevention is the best cure!

MasterShake89

recently, i joined a more loud band, and all of our amps are right behind and next to the kit, while everyone has a more comfortable 20 foot cable distance, i get blasted in the ears. I noticed that after the second practice with them, i had a weird ring in my ear for about 4 days that faded away shortly after. since that ive been wearing ear plugs everytime i practice with them, it realllllly helps alot. (theyre just the 1$ construction earplugs u jam in ur ears, but man they help leaps and bounds.) and if i dont have those, i put on my headphones that encase my whole ear, just to take the painful edge off of the noise. Protect your ears, you really would miss them.