time signatures

slingerland66

whats your favorite time signature to play?

lately ive been experimenting with my beats. the first measure will be a 5/4 the second a 4/4 followed by a 2/4. loop it with the original 5/4 then a 7/8.

iatemygoat

B-RAD52":b6c7buwo said:
in 6/8...i think the groove is smoother, and the drum fills, i think, are sooo much fun to play.
totally agree. check out Nehemiah from minnesota. they broke up a couple years ago but all there shit is in 6/8.

i love 6/8.

im also a fan of off beat stuff like 11/12(my old band had a song with a part like that in it)

and the side project im in now has a part that is a section of 15 beats and then 14 beats soooooooo 29 beats haha. and then repeats. its sick as fuck.

m

I think it's good to be comfortable in as many as possible, but my favorite feel is probably 5/4 or 7/8; I really like certain flavors of middle-eastern rhythms that seem to use those a lot. I just kind of naturally slip into those when I'm goofing around/experimenting.

I suppose if I really think about it though, it's more the pattern or the feel that I like. I rarely think of the time sig, unless I have to describe it to someone else, so it's not like I set out to do it- it's just the feel I end up playing more often than not.

break the prism

i like the strong grooves you can get with putting variations and patterns in 4-4. but my favorite time signature to play would either be 9/8 or 5/4.
my band has a song that has a wierd, syncopated 4-4 variation then right into 9/8. as you can imagine it's my favorite one of our songs,

trstn

I like to play in 6/8 too its a different feel than the everlasting 4/4. Thats nice. I'm also a great fan of halftime 4/4 grooves.
Once in awhile everyone stumbles over odd times. My particular highlight was a 11/8 thing loong ago, that was fun. I had a korean drum seminar long ago just for a day. As far as I remember they have up to 17/8 patterns which run against something else .. hehe you had 3 different times stomping clapping and singing. That stuff gets quite psycho after you have it run right the first time.

Naicitrom

Speaking of 11/8, I think that's a really good sig to play in. It sounds obscure to the listener, but is relly easy to the guys playing it... I don't currently have any tunes I play 11/8 in, but it's certainly my favourite after 4/4...
Other than those, I like putting a 4/4 beat over a 6/8 riff and letting it loop back into where it should be... Yeah I'm drunk and probably explaining it badly... But ya get what I mean... I've always had a thing for odd sigs and try fit them into a tune whenever possible, even if everyone else is playing a straight 4/4....

m

Naicitrom":1y3e1gfy said:
Speaking of 11/8, I think that's a really good sig to play in. It sounds obscure to the listener, but is relly easy to the guys playing it... I don't currently have any tunes I play 11/8 in, but it's certainly my favourite after 4/4...
that is a cool one, fun to play too.
We've got a song from our Nosferatu soundtrack that has sections in 11/8, we found it went with the visuals pretty well and gave a sort of unsettling feel.

How about if we posted links to examples of these signatures everyone is describing? Would be cool to hear them in action~

mortem

besides a funky 4/4, I find myself playing 15/8 and 7/8 grooves quite often.. so I'm going with those two.

drumsforlife

I recently recorded a track that used a rhythm on the ride from Brazil that has no meter. The percussionist I learned it from described it like this: it's like when the windshield wipers on your car fall into rhythm to what's on the radio, and then slowly falls behind the beat, and then cycles back and falls back into rhythm again...

My favorite thing to do is use meter modulation. My band will play in 4/4, and I'll be in 6/8. When I all of a sudden switch to 4/4, it sounds like the song speeds up, but actually it keeps the same tempo. I love that.

My favorite meter to play is 11/8 by the way...

BillRayDrums

I like playing odd times within even time signatures (read- 5/8 within 4/4)

Break down the 4/4 into 8th notes

||: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & : ||

Now play every 5th note

||: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & : ||

But that's simple polyrhythmic formula. You knew that....right?

~B

MasterShake89

the straight up 4/4, but upon hearing some of the time signitures mentioned in here, im gonna try messin with em, especially the 11/8, cause the way i counted it i figure it gives an offbeat impression?

MasterShake89

ohh another quick question. is that one measure in another brick in the wall in 9/8....? you know which one im talking about.

7/8 and 19/16 tend to be my favorite to play in, but then ofcoarse any time sig that dream theater changes to i love playing. Infact Change Of Seasons had a 21/15 section.