Time Keeping ....

JordanEmbleton

hey there

i was just wonering if you guys ad any tips for me, i play in a thrash metal band, and i consider my self to have good timing when i play resonably fast, but when i come to play slow, my timing goes to pot .

any tips?

jordan

dahlgrendrummer

Start practicing your set with your band to a click track. I used to have a similar problem. When we would play out, I'd play everything WAY too fast, to the point my guitarists couldn't keep up. I started jamming with a click about 4 years ago and everything got a lot more consistent.

JAdrums2k

There's a big difference between rehearsals & gigs. Adreneline kicks in a lot more when you're doing a gig & you feed off the energy of the crowd as well. Sometimes you may have to speed things up.

Definitley use a click track when you rehearse. Also... play with the band, not just behind them.

Try playing some of your favorite slower stuff to a cd too... that helped me a lot

SGarrett

Way. The best way to learn how to play slow is by playing simple patterns with a click. You have to really rely on your body mechanics to help you keep the time. Focus on getting the space between the notes as even as possible.

FiestyRedDrummEr

JordanEmbleton":2p10849n said:
hey there

i was just wonering if you guys ad any tips for me, i play in a thrash metal band, and i consider my self to have good timing when i play resonably fast, but when i come to play slow, my timing goes to pot .

any tips?

jordan
buy a meternome
and live it.

SGarrett

Henry George":3lr1n7po said:
And , "hide the click".So tight that you can't hear it.
You can bury the click (play right on top of it). Or you can learn to play behind and in front of the click as well. :)

cooldevil28

try playing your favourite thrash songs with a slower tempo on media player or sth... it wud make the song sound awful but with some patience it wud definitly help you out with your slow speed problems... try it out man

percussle

FiestyRedDrummEr":1ifqrndi said:
JordanEmbleton":1ifqrndi said:
hey there

any tips?

jordan
buy a meternome
and live it.
yep the best way is to get a metronome. dont just focus on 1 tempo use various tempos so you dont have a struggle mix matching different speeds when needed.

BillRayDrums

It's really cool when you "bury the click" for the first time. It's a place where there is no resistance and you will question "what's wrong?" but really you are far from wrong in the respect of linear metrics.

Here's a way to think about time- ever been in a car that is being towed by a rope? If you are controlling the pulled car, your main duty is to keep just enough tension on the chain. Too much tension and you jerk the cars. Too little tension and you drag. If you keep it in the middle, the ride will be smooth. Apply that to drumming.

dave lynch

In my opinion it's also ok to think more notes..Example would be a real slow 4/4 you can think/feel 16ths..Don't need to play them, but think them..it's kinda like sub deviding...You can think 1e&a2e&a3e&a4e&a..etc..while playing 1...2...3...4... and so on..Then in time you'll start to add real cool stuff inbetween for accents and it'll help the band stay in time with you...Now I need to practice what I preach..haha..Good Luck and go get em..!! OH Yeah...The Metronome is a MUST..!!