Time for a cymbal change

minimatt7

K i'm am new to the forums but i need advice....i play to pretty much heavy, electronica rock if you have no idea what it is here is NORTH of spain one of the the local bands in my neighborhood and they are basically type of music i listen to....http://www.myspace.com/northofspain k so listening to this kinda music i normally get really into it and i just naturally hit extremely hard and i have zildjian A customs yea bad choice for bashing but every zildjian cymbal that i've tried i have vicously killed it....so to get to the oint i dont care if i stick to zildjian or not but i need very good sounding but very durable cymbals i've heard sabian are good but i know the sabian hi hats are sharp and kill sticks so i just need suggestions for very durable crashes disregaurding brands and i think breaking a cymbal like every show is a pain so anymore zildjian A customs are out of the question.

thanks in advance for the suggestions peace

screamkevin

Sounds to me like you need to stick with the Zildjians and seriously re-examine and refine your playing technique. Broken cymbals can happen here and there, but breaking them as much as you are describing sounds like a technique problem. No offense, but it would be cheaper to change your playing style, rather than buy new cymbals, wouldn't it? :wink:

michiganice91

screamkevin":2imypvht said:
Sounds to me like you need to stick with the Zildjians and seriously re-examine and refine your playing technique. Broken cymbals can happen here and there, but breaking them as much as you are describing sounds like a technique problem. No offense, but it would be cheaper to change your playing style, rather than buy new cymbals, wouldn't it? :wink:
so true..

break the prism

if you define your style by your hard-hitting, then i suggest some strong cymbals (paiste 2002, paiste rude, sabian aax, meinl byzance). if you love the sound of zildjian cymbals and you want to be able to play them without breaking them, then try and fine-tune your style to a more dynamically colorful one.

minimatt7

yea well i dont really think its my technique that is i guess bad i naturally hit hard but when im playing such as a show and get into the music i hit even harder than usual i heard good about the zildjians zbt i beleive they are are called im thinking of switching to sabian cause they have almost the same sound as zildjian and i dont mind critism on my technique so feel free to critisise away

minimatt7

i've noticed that my zildjians are extemely thin this is probably one of the reasons of them having a short life span and another quick question i've heard the sound of sabian cymbals B8 sereies and i like the sound but are these strong or durable or atleast thicker than zildjian cymbals

xdoseonex

zbt's and b8's are cheap beginner cymbals, they dont sound good, and they break like crazy. theyre all made from identicle bronze blanks. dont buy them. stick with you cast cymbals
Your using a customs, in my oppinion you cant get any better than that (just look at my set)
make sure your not hitting horizontally into the cymbal, and hit your cymbals ascross as opposed to coming straigh down on them, dont tightebn them to much, give them room to resonate. if your cymbals are high in the air lower them. play with your wrists and fingers as opposed to playing with your arms.
play with lots of power, but dont beat the shit out of your drums. I use a customs all arounf on my set and they do break,but with proper technique and a little thought put into your playing you should be able to train yourself.

phoenix7289

xdoseonex":37qphpdg said:
zbt's and b8's are cheap beginner cymbals, they dont sound good, and they break like crazy. theyre all made from identicle bronze blanks. dont buy them. stick with you cast cymbals
Your using a customs, in my oppinion you cant get any better than that (just look at my set)
make sure your not hitting horizontally into the cymbal, and hit your cymbals ascross as opposed to coming straigh down on them, dont tightebn them to much, give them room to resonate. if your cymbals are high in the air lower them. play with your wrists and fingers as opposed to playing with your arms.
play with lots of power, but dont beat the shit out of your drums. I use a customs all arounf on my set and they do break,but with proper technique and a little thought put into your playing you should be able to train yourself.
I agree. And I'll throw in my two cents. You see dude, if you break cymbals every show, your cymbals MUST be WAY too tight AND you must be hitting them WAY too hard. You don't need to hit a cymbal super hard, for it to give it's full sound. That woudl be stupid. Just about any cymbal can last ages if you hit it a proper way with less force and weight, but more angle and technique, and give the cymbal plenty of room to bounce around.

minimatt7

yea when i play i have my cymbals on an angle so i never hit them on the edge and so they are not horizontal....i might get the A zildjian series and not customs from now on my friend has had his for over 10 years and no cracks dents barely any marks even and he plays with horizontal set up....the reason i might hit so hard is probably cause of my drum teacher he hits really hard and i guess it probably picked up on me but im gonna be taking lessons else where soon