thrwned

phil-drummer

i have a really shit pearl forum stool , its the only stool ive ever had n after 30 mins of play it lowers it self, its just a stool so i dont really care,

Is it really worth splashin out of a better seat or shud i keep my cash for sumthin else like better skins ( which i also need, so recomned me sum gud un's too :D )

Rob Crisp

I hate spending money on things that don't make a percussive sound!

But a decent stool makes all the difference. I bought a Tama 1st Chair and it's sound. You need it to get a decent bass technique going on.

AmnestysLowEnd

A good throne is really important. I thought the same until I got a new Roc n' Soc. My old throne was cracked in half and I had to subconsciously keep my balance and when I got a new throne my playing seemed to improve most likely because I could concentrate on playing.

kErmit vOn zOmbie

I stopped sitting down to play years ago, its such a pain in the ass (no pun intended). But if you do need to sit, definately invest in a half decent one that wont slip down on you while you play. Try one with a memory lock so even if the seat fails the lock will keep your throne in place (more or less).

phil-drummer

it has a memory lock haha, im just plain heavy , nah i have about £140 , mite try n get a roadster throne on ebay

Rob the Drummer

I sat on two milk crates for years, I still kicked some ass! It seemed like the perfect hight for me. However, everyone made fun of me!! :?

Brother_Bong

A stool is one of the most important part of the kit, you can't reach your $300.00+ cymbals if you're flat on your ass, because of seat failure. Plus balance and comfort are key to endurance and accuracy. You can get a really good stool for $100.00-$150.00. Or maybe cheaper used.

BillRayDrums

The throne is your most important piece of gear whether you realize it. IF you inest in a very sturdy one (I use Roc-n-Soc) it will save you from having to suffer back pain.

Avoid thrones with the ultra-thick padding- it might look comfortable and might be comfortable but in the long run, the lack of support it contains will screw up your back.

Roc-n-Soc has got a great balance between comfort and solidity. I'd recommend using their thrones as a "template" as to what to buy but most importantly- don't skimp on your throne. Save up and get a double-braced one with a piano stool adjuster (the big screw.....nitrogen cylinders blow out over time)By having that solid throne you won't have to replace it until it finally gives out in say, 30 years. I am using a roc-n-soc that is about 17 years old and it's still goin' strong!

screamkevin

Phil,

I use a Pearl Roadster throne with a motorcyle seat. They don't make that model anymore, but Tama's Wide Rider is the closest thing to it. Agree also with the rest, the throne is one of the most vital parts of your kit! Don't skimp on it! Make sure that it's comfy for the long haul, and seriously look at a backrest. I'm wishing that mine had one.

I'd recommend anything from Roc-N-Soc, Tama, Pearl, or Yamaha.

As far as your skins go, mate, look at Evans, Attack, or Remo. All fine companies with great products. What you go with (single vs double ply, coated vs clear) is up to you and what sound you're looking for from your kit.

SGarrett

break the prism":2okdf52v said:
i'm sure it's worth it, but i'm on a college student's budget right now.
You can save up, buy used, or use lay-away (if available). Think about what you spend your money on and cut back where you can. Drink less soda, eat out less often, etc. You'd be surprised at how much that actually adds up to on a monthly basis.

phil-drummer

WOah , i know a shop that has a pearl roadster with back rest still , i didnt know they wern't being made, i think ill check a few out ,

break the prism

SGarrett":39uzcl0v said:
break the prism":39uzcl0v said:
i'm sure it's worth it, but i'm on a college student's budget right now.
You can save up, buy used, or use lay-away (if available). Think about what you spend your money on and cut back where you can. Drink less soda, eat out less often, etc. You'd be surprised at how much that actually adds up to on a monthly basis.
thanks for the advice, but i'm already living on a bare minimum of discount food and tap water. i have about $2500 saved up but that all needs to go towards the next two semesters.