Throwing out A Drum set..

anojeezick

I had to clean out my basement becuase we are tearing down a wall to make it bigger and I found my first drum set back in a store room. I had trouble thinking about what todo with it. It is a total piece of garbage with half the pieces missing, but it just felt wrong to throw it on the curb. Eventually, with some "motivation" from my parents I had to leave for the garbage man.

Do you think I did the wrong thing? Am I a bad person for throwing it away?

dwtoast72

I can't see why you would have considered throwing it away..unless the drumshells were ruined (water damage, hint-hint..<refering>). It could've been a great project for you or someone else to rejuvinate that baby...bring er' back to life... Know what I mean?

Gabimo

YOURE GOING TO HELL!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

thats reckless abandonment, drums are like children!!!!

Airborne Ranger

I would have found a place to donate them to. Someone could have fixed what was broken enough for them to be playable for some kid. Maybe a place the specializes in handicap donations. Never throw out a set that could be made playable, it could make someone very happy.

anojeezick

The shellls were very warped and wrecked. It would have been lame to try to fix it cause it was a bad set anyway. Also my brother decided he wanted to peel the wrap on them off and loose all the tension rods. It would have cost more money to "rejuvinate" the set then it was to buy brand new.
Actually, I think some hobo guy took it cause it was gone by the end of the day when I put it out there. Maybe he gave it to some one for christmas. Maybe he used it for himself. Either way, I don't feel as bad about it that way.

And yes, that Hi-hat is very happy.

invision

i still have some bass drums, a tom, and misc stuff i cant part with for some reason, maybe ill throw it on craigslist for free as im sure someone can use it.

for the longest time i had a Pearl 7 piece sitting for years until i gave it away to someone, the drums i have now will be giving away when i get a new kit, i never sell them as i more than got my moneys worth out of them.

keith bushey

I had to grab the Pepto after seeing your kit curbside! I hate throwing anything musical away. Every year I end up with a 5 gal. pail full of worn drumsticks...I burn them in my fireplace...A gift to the drum Gods! :cry:

Brother_Bong

keith bushey":7edgn4b0 said:
I had to grab the Pepto after seeing your kit curbside! I hate throwing anything musical away. Every year I end up with a 5 gal. pail full of worn drumsticks...I burn them in my fireplace...A gift to the drum Gods! :cry:
Sweet!

Potatoe Snack

keith bushey":3822yox3 said:
thats some expensive firewood!

ThePloughman

Guitar Center wouldnt have given you three dollars of credit for that.

I kicked a 60s japanese stencil kit to the curb once.
They were gone by morning. Decent shells....... but .... yuck on the set. It wasnt worth hauling to guitar center.

rufus4dagruv

When it comes to gear, I can have pack-rat like tendencies. I probably would've stripped the hardware off of the shells just to have as a back up or if I was ever so inclined to build my own drum.

99threalmcafe

How could you throw drums away? I collect drums to repair and pass on or to finish up my kit, As I am trying to find pieces to complete mine.
So to anyone on this board, do not throw drums away!

Per the 99th Realm Cafe"

Dusteroo

You could have given/sold it to a local music store.. perhaps work up a deal with them - help the store refurbish it, sell it for whatever, and share the profit with the store....

or maybe at a Salvation Army place, or wherever you can donate stuff.

Oh! There's always ebay. I can imagine there's many, many people out there who would love to buy it as is, and rebuild it with their own touch.
[ in a sense, I'd almost value a kit like that just as much as a finished DW... I've always wanted to build my own..... :) ]