Thoughts on Eric Car. . .

pepperspray

I was recently watching the Kissology II DVD and watched Eric
Carr's drum solo from the Australia show...Wasn't 100% impressed. I love the Fox, don't
get me wrong, I just thought the solo was just o.k.

I love Eric Carr however, just thought the Solo was filled with tons of single stroke
easy tribal kinda stuff.

Anyone see this DVD?

Timekeep69

His solos were pretty basic. Kind of an "Ina-da-gadda-da-vida" feel to them. I still think he was the best drummer KISS had though.

Airborne Ranger

I agree, he was the best drummer KISS ever had. Yes, his solos were simple but you have to remember he was playing to huge stadiums, the fast stuff just gets lost in an arena that big. He was a good fit for the band, solid playing, gigantic, over-the-top drumsets, he could sing lead (in concert he sang "Black Diamond" & "Beth"), and a flashy style. KISS lost it after he passed away IMO. From stories I've read about him, he seemed to be a geuinely nice person.

SGarrett

I was always fond of Eric Singer.

But yeah, things have gotten almost out of control these days with drum acrobatics. What's wrong with single strokes? Does playing "rrll" make you a better drummer than playing "rlrl"? I realize the importance of texture but a lot of times it's just more efficient to play singles. In fact, don't we practice to get our doubles sounding as consistent as our singles? Take a Huerta for example, it's two 32nd notes followed by two 16th notes, taking up a total of three 16th notes. It's played with singles but can be played with a double and two singles for the exact same sound.

OnusPro

I definitely thought he was from the Bonham school of rock drumming in terms of style and sound. Chops-wise Singer was more technical a drummer.

pepperspray

I don't knock Eric Carr at all...I agree he was a radder drummer than
Criss. I'm TOTALLY jazzed to watch the Australia show because with Carr on
board, they seemed a lot tighter and powerful, it's just when it came to
solo time....

Coulda been a lot shorter and maybe a little more unique, I'm not talking
SPEED SPEED SPEED, but something a little more GROOVIER like his
song drumming..

Anyway, was just curious what ya all thought.

Rockula!

Having seen Peter Criss once in 1980 and then in the 90's I have to say Eric Car was a vast improvement
Have you heard peter's drum solos?
I bet Zac Hanson could pull off a better solo

JAdrums2k

Eric Carr is one of my top influences.... a top notch rock drummer who loved his fans.

One thing to remember about the Austrailia show on Kissology
1. Eric was only in the band for a couple of months at that point
2. IT WAS 1979
3. The rest of the band had alot to do with what was played.

well actually that's 3

That show was filmed 5 months after I saw them in Rhode Island that year, and Criss was still with them when I saw them.
But I've seen Eric live many many times, and he was a monster behind that kit everytime.

Check out some of his later solos & stuff

Airborne Ranger

Eliminator":2y8rgrr7 said:
what did yas think o Eric Singer?
Singer is a fine drummer too but he always had that "hired gun" cache with KISS. Carr was more of a band member than a hired gun. In addition, Singer was in the band well past their prime. He'll be their last drummer if/when they ever decide to retire, they've been doing the "farewell tour" thing for years now. Singer is a great drummer but I doubt Stanley/Simmons ever made him a full partner in the band, as they did with Criss and Carr.

pepperspray

Eric Singer is a good solid drummer, but you ever
notice that he is like a "triplet" freak? At least he pulls them
off, right?

Listen to Domino and listen to how many triplet fills he
does...

Rockula!

Airborne Ranger":1y9iuxrf said:
In addition, Singer was in the band well past their prime. He'll be their last drummer if/when they ever decide to retire, they've been doing the "farewell tour" thing for years now. Singer is a great drummer but I doubt Stanley/Simmons ever made him a full partner in the band, as they did with Criss and Carr.
Kiss has become the best Kiss tribute band in the world
I would think it was quite insulting that Gene copyrighted the makeup
Now he's just slapping Ace and Peter's faces on anyone who will "Kiss" his ass and play hired hand

Ace put it best in the book "KISS-Behind the Mask"
"Gene doesn't use the bass to play music, he uses it to make money and get laid"

pepperspray

AND, i'm pretty sure Gene and Paul will keep it amongst themselves
til the end of KISS (if KISS ever ends). They won't ever make anyone else a
Full Partner.

Timekeep69

pepperspray":3sgirv84 said:
Full Partner.
This is true. Even Ace and Peter were on salary.

Airborne Ranger

Timekeep69":2nj34glg said:
pepperspray":2nj34glg said:
Full Partner.
This is true. Even Ace and Peter were on salary.
You're right. In the early days, they all had to be quarter partners but Ace and Peter were bought out years ago when Simmons & Stanley turned KISS into the corporation it is today. All of their subsequent members have been salaried employees, Vinny Vincent, Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer etc. Vinny Vincent tried to sue Simmons/Stanley a few times to no avail, he was a salaried employee and therefore was not due any royalties or publishing rights, even to his own material written for the band.

pepperspray

Gene and Paul even own the rights to Ace and Peter's Make-Up look.

It's totally a corporation...Kissology III out this December is going to
chronicle 92-2000. Not sure if i'll pick that one up. It was a stretch for
me to buy Volume II, I just wanted to have the Eric Make-up year stuff.