This may seem really stupid but

Hack_and_Slash

Does anyone know when the basic 4/4 beats with bass and snare started to show up? What I mean by that is, I guess just a modern beat that you could hear on anything from rap, rock, jazz, etc.

JAdrums2k

In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty-five
Man didn't know about a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the smoltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news
He said -

'Let there be light', and there was light
'Let there be sound', and there was sound
'Let there be DRUMS', and there was drums
'Let there be guitar', and there was guitar
'Let there be rock'

....... and so it was 8)

seriously, I have no idea....

B-RAD52

Hack_and_Slash":3ja8sdsc said:
Does anyone know when the basic 4/4 beats with bass and snare started to show up? What I mean by that is, I guess just a modern beat that you could hear on anything from rap, rock, jazz, etc.
your looking at late 1800s to early 1900s as ragtime developed into early jazz, which in turn went to blues, to rock and roll and so on.

dave lynch

B-RAD52":v1w8uc3a said:
Hack_and_Slash":v1w8uc3a said:
your looking at late 1800s to early 1900s as ragtime developed into early jazz, which in turn went to blues, to rock and roll and so on.
That's when we started to notice it here, but it goes even further back to marching drummin in old English/European days..That's where Americans begain to create our band sound with our type of cadences..!

Rob the Drummer

I believe in came in when jazz originated all those years ago. When syncopated rhythms became popular over classical traditional songs.

dannydrumperc

dave lynch":17r3m3pr said:
B-RAD52":17r3m3pr said:
Hack_and_Slash":17r3m3pr said:
That's when we started to notice it here, but it goes even further back to marching drummin in old English/European days..That's where Americans begain to create our band sound with our type of cadences..!
That's right. Look for any old march and you'll notice the BD on downbeat and the SD on upbeat. Also the Spanish "Paso Doble", the Polka and the Contradanze has this marchlike feel; only difference is it is doubletime.

racefan33

I remember hearing that Bill Haley and the Comet's drummer with Rock around the clock was first credited with a "2 4 rock" beat even though it was still in a swing feel.

screamkevin

racefan33":2pl772gb said:
I remember hearing that Bill Haley and the Comet's drummer with Rock around the clock was first credited with a "2 4 rock" beat even though it was still in a swing feel.
That's a common misconception, along with the idea that "Rock Around The Clock" was the first rock song. Both credits actually goe to Jackie Brenston's "Rocket 88" from 1951, recorded when he was playing with Ike Turner. It's a 12-bar blues feel, but a 2-4 beat.

B-RAD52

screamkevin":2s2bzr2f said:
racefan33":2s2bzr2f said:
That's a common misconception, along with the idea that "Rock Around The Clock" was the first rock song. Both credits actually goe to Jackie Brenston's "Rocket 88" from 1951, recorded when he was playing with Ike Turner. It's a 12-bar blues feel, but a 2-4 beat.
yes this is true, but rock around the clock was the first #1 ranked rock song.

Potatoe Snack

dave lynch":165isp3o said:
Potatoe Snack":165isp3o said:
i invented the rock drum beat and the drums, period.
Hey that's coool..when were you reincarnated ? hehe..!!
actually i've been alive since the beginning of time. me and mozart used to chill smoke it up and write bad ass music together, he got most (actually all) of the credit though....damn.

JasonS2C

Once upon a time there was a caveman beating on some rocks in a constant pattern (this was waaay back in the dark ages, say.... 1960), this was the influence of what would become 4/4 time.... this annoyed the caveman's neighbors who stoned him to death, the disorganized sloppy sound of which influenced the modern day blast beat.... now if only the stoning of modern day constant blast beat players would continue......

screamkevin

B-RAD52":px0v5uws said:
screamkevin":px0v5uws said:
racefan33":px0v5uws said:
Um, I'm fully aware of that. Spent 15 years working in radio as an air personality. I've probably forgotten more facts than you know, young one. :wink:

B-RAD52

screamkevin":2lg8m4kv said:
B-RAD52":2lg8m4kv said:
screamkevin":2lg8m4kv said:
racefan33":2lg8m4kv said:
Um, I'm fully aware of that. Spent 15 years working in radio as an air personality. I've probably forgotten more facts than you know, young one. :wink:
whatever dude... :roll: