This is funky

Edge3591

I thought I had 2 cracked cymbals a 16" zil crash and a 20" zil ride. My ride was "sizzling" a little bit after it got hit/struck/played on/w/e. I thought it was cracked.

My 16" crash was starting to the same thing really badly so I thought it was cracked too. I obviously was a completely dumbnut and didn't switch the cymbal stands to see if it was just the stand. I did that today and they both don't sizzle anymore.

Are my ears playing tricks on me? or are they both cracked. Can it be the stands screwing it up? I'm so confused.

PDP9000

I just bought a Z-custom 18' rock crash and when i first hit it
it started rattling but usally its just the cymbal stand.

Edge3591

FiestyRedDrummEr":2dfto77g said:
check the stand.
Hows the felt and wing nuts?
I checked all that stuff and there all tight and secure. I have several bazillion booms I just changed those 2 out and theres no more sizzling/ or as pdp better put it "rattling"

so I guess I'm good.

BillRayDrums

Sometimes the brass can actually fuse to the poly cymbal protectors (the little plastic sleeve that isolates cymbal from steel) and that can rattle. True story!!

Get a file and remove that goldish stuff (that's the brass) or replace them altogether.

shrub

you should take the cymbals off and check if their cracked. I dont know how you want us to tell you if their cracked when nobody but you can see.

FiestyRedDrummEr

BillRayDrums said:
Sometimes the brass can actually fuse to the poly cymbal protectors (the little plastic sleeve that isolates cymbal from steel) and that can rattle. True story!!

Get a file and remove that goldish stuff (that's the brass) or replace them altogether.[/q
Thats great advice i never even thought of doing that.

BillRayDrums

FiestyRedDrummEr":29dp2y1w said:
BillRayDrums":29dp2y1w said:

Get a file and remove that goldish stuff (that's the brass) or replace them altogether.[/q
Thats great advice i never even thought of doing that.
Yea that was a hard one to track down, many sessions ago. My brand new cymbals were rattling and I KNEW they were not cracked. I took them off the stands and looked at my little cymbal sleeves. They had so much brass stuck to them that they were actually causing the cymbal to rattle.

racefan33

Also a crack can come in the middle of the cymbal along the lathing lines. I had one crack like that. It's wierd.